DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Fern's Nipple, an Awesome Desert Climb in the Stunning Capital Reef National Park Utah!

Karlewski

Reactions
This is my favorite desert hike in Utah! Surreal views and great climbing! Unfortunately I was unable to fly the drone since I was in a national park. It would have been unbelievable if I could have flown from the crazy little pinnacle that is, Fern's Nipple!

Is it possible to receive an authorization to fly in national parks or it is strictly prohibited ? Indeed, it would have been perfect with a drone... By the way, great video...

Reactions: Droniac
This is my favorite desert hike in Utah! Surreal views and great climbing! Unfortunately I was unable to fly the drone since I was in a national park. It would have been unbelievable if I could have flown from the crazy little pinnacle that is, Fern's Nipple!
Both beautiful and touching. Godbless you for a truly beautiful tribute and family and friends for the pain they must endure. Godspeed

Reactions: ldallara-air2
Is it possible to receive an authorization to fly in national parks or it is strictly prohibited ? Indeed, it would have been perfect with a drone... By the way, great video...

Major media companies with a longstanding reputation have flown drones in national parks before but the permit process is time consuming and expensive. You may be tempted to risk it but if you get caught as some people have the fines begin at a couple thousand dollars and go up from there -- not worth it. I'll add one more point...

Imagine sitting around Old Faithful waiting for it to blow with 600 other spectators while 20 drones fly overhead -- let that though sink in!

Brian

Going up's not too bad, coming down is always waaaay more sketchy !!
Nice job on the video and climb, I think I'd rather have ropes and near vertical climbing than that sort of steep soft (even shoed) free climb.
Using a 360 camera ? Pretty good results.

Reactions: tlswift58
Beautifully shot as always Karl! A moving tribute to your friend’s son also. Stay safe up there mate! ?????

That's a great video. Nice use of the 360 camera. It's so well edited it makes one forget you must have climbed up and down nearly twice in all in order to climb back down each time to retrieve your camera.

The best 19 minutes I have spent this week! I wouldn't even know where to start, but your hiking and navigating skills, your courage, your climbing expertise, and your photography are stellar! You are a great story teller, and a wonderful example to us all. Your heartfelt tribute will be much appreciated by the family, of course, but also by us.

I do have two tech questions:

1) you are obviously hiking solo. So for the scenes showing you going away from the camera, I assume you have placed the camera on a tripod, hiked away , and then came back go retrieve the camera. Right?
2) And the name of this camera again, was it the 360R on an invisible selfie stick?

Again, many plaudits and bravos for your efforts and your continued presentations on this forum. I, for one, treasure them.

Dale
Miami

what an amazing video ,and moving tribute to your friends family ,thanks for posting

The best 19 minutes I have spent this week! I wouldn't even know where to start, but your hiking and navigating skills, your courage, your climbing expertise, and your photography are stellar! You are a great story teller, and a wonderful example to us all. Your heartfelt tribute will be much appreciated by the family, of course, but also by us.

I do have two tech questions:

1) you are obviously hiking solo. So for the scenes showing you going away from the camera, I assume you have placed the camera on a tripod, hiked away , and then came back go retrieve the camera. Right?
2) And the name of this camera again, was it the 360R on an invisible selfie stick?

Again, many plaudits and bravos for your efforts and your continued presentations on this forum. I, for one, treasure them.

Dale
Miami
addendum:

Karlewsi:
Doesn't Fern usually have 2 nipples?
Dale

• Haha
Reactions: W2EJ
Yes, you can apply to receive a permit - but probably a 1 in a million they give it to you. Simply opens the door to everyone "thinking" they can fly without authorization.

At some NP's - there is the ability to take off / land outside the NP boundary and simply fly in their airspace, which currently is legal. I've found a small few that and gotten some awesome pics / videos.

Suggest shortening it to under 4-5 minutes. Not always easy, but people start to lose interest after that, esp on a 19 minute video.

Suggest shortening it to under 4-5 minutes. Not always easy, but people start to lose interest after that, esp on a 19 minute video.
I would normally agree with you but in the case of Karlewski's videos, to me at least, they are always worth the watch. After all, it is , indeed, a long trail with tons of great scenery, filmed uniquely with equipment we mostly don't have, and with vistas we will all likely never see on our own! Would you tell the climbers of Everest to shorten their film 5 minutes?

Reactions: ldallara-air2
I would normally agree with you but in the case of Karlewski's videos, to me at least, they are always worth the watch. After all, it is , indeed, a long trail with tons of great scenery, filmed uniquely with equipment we mostly don't have, and with vistas we will all likely never see on our own! Would you tell the climbers of Everest to shorten their film 5 minutes?
It is possible on all videos. Simply selecting best parts like most of us do day in and day out flying. Nothing wrong with a long video if it keeps your attention and maybe this one does - did not watch the full 19 minutes. Shortening it can create a "teaser" and then post the full length for those whom want to see more.

Both beautiful and touching. Godbless you for a truly beautiful tribute and family and friends for the pain they must endure. Godspeed
OMG! I fly and I don't get vertigo; put me on a 6ft ladder and I'm done for. I watched your video from beginning to end and my knees are still acheing from the tension and fear of it :) True. It was bad enough seeing you walking on a 6" ledge which was not helped by you also concentrating on that wand thing you had in the other hand. A brilliant bit of film and what scenery. I think the right response is to thank you for it :)) Mike

Reactions: W2EJ
OMG! I fly and I don't get vertigo; put me on a 6ft ladder and I'm done for. I watched your video from beginning to end and my knees are still acheing from the tension and fear of it :) True. It was bad enough seeing you walking on a 6" ledge which was not helped by you also concentrating on that wand thing you had in the other hand. A brilliant bit of film and what scenery. I think the right response is to thank you for it :)) Mike
I'd like to point out to Droniac ,hawkinsUK, etc. the fact that I think Karlewski is using an Insta 360 One x2 camera on that wand. (selfie stick)

I studied getting one of these but so far, have deffered. If you go to the camera web site Insta360 | Action Cameras | 360 Cameras | VR Cameras

The Insta 360 One X2 is $446.00 on Amazon including the selfie stick.

https://www.insta360.com you will see that the camera can be purchased with what they call an"invisible"selfie stick. The camera, at the end of the stick, can simulate a fisheye lens view. When worn on his helmet, it can cause a large distortion making the viewer feel disoriented. This is certainly not to detract from Karlewsi's amazing film.

Last edited:
Hey my friends, I'm so glad you could join me on this one. I feared this video may not be received well lacking drone footage.

I think Dale really nailed it, a very special place few will ever see OR want to risk seeing so I'm happy to oblige. I used the One R, 360's modular older version of the One x2, very similar cameras. The "invisible selfie stick" is just a gimmick and any stick will work as long as the camera's 2 lens seams are aligned with the stick. You can see the 10' selfie stick a bit when it bends enough to get outside of the "seam" where the 2 sides of the camera lenses views meet at the seam. . . I am running back for the camera on all 3rd person static shots but, it's not too bad. With the DJI Pocket 2 I can literally drop my selfie stick into a bush, the gimbal levels itself and I compose the shot wirelessly on my phone. . . pretty slick. My go pro has a mini tripod built into the selfie stick with ball head mount, real unstable but plenty good if I put a rock on the tripod's leg. The legs are short and low to the ground.
Climbing down less then vertical is not to bad since you can see footholds without leaning way out. On overhangs it's more crazy but then the hand holds are bigger and that helps to look. On tricky down climbs I remember how I came up and reverse, that makes it quite doable. . . still the hardest part.
While I love sharing my videos, a lot! I make them as a scrap book of my adventures and I make them as long as I need to have those special memories of all the things I never want to forget. I think my loyal fans want to see the nitty gritty too. Easy enough to just click ahead anyway. . . . I do cut and combine clips as much as I can. . . Thank's again my brothers and I can guarantee there WILL BE EPIC DRONE FOOTAGE! on my next adventure and "Wholly Mollie," was it an adventure, especially the the final part of the climb, fairly safe though. . .
I am not at all afraid of height but VERY afraid of falling. . .
My buddy's son was the youngest of the victims of that needless shooting, 20 years old and a very sweet gentle person. I was in shock and angry for quite awhile, including during this trip when I started to think of how special life is and then remembering what happened. . . .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Black Wolf