DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Final MPP Flight - Loss and Learning

PeRo

Reactions
Thought to share this experience with you.

I was flying the MPP in the mountains and was already on the way back to HP. 4th mission on that day and despite the complex terrain, shots were awful under almost perfect weather conditions, sunny, low wind and no turbulences. Status was nominal, maybe with the exception of a minimal increase of battery depletion towards the end of the flight.

At 833 sec into flight, with forward throttle at 15 m/s / 10mph, the screen suddenly became frozen except the downward link indicator, which went to "0". Totally surprised of this occurance, I realized the absence of the noise as well. There was still a small hope for RTH, however the MPP never came back.

At that time I had no idea what might has happened. Maybe touched a tall tree? Unfortunately, the last recorded position was downhill towards a steep rocky slope - not accessible without taking high risks. So far, attempts to even get close to the probable crash site failed.
At home I started evaluating the FlightLog - and it soon became clear. Battery cell 3 has collapsed (see chart).

Ongoing thanks to @BudWalker for having created the valuable and easy to use "CsvView" !

BattStat.jpg

Background:

The MPP was purchased a couple of months ago via eBay. It came along with 2 batteries, one original DJI and another 3rd party clone. The latter one had 9 charging cycles with 3 cycles added by me. Parameters looked ok so far, cell [v] deviation and overall status green to yellow.

Personally, I treat batteries as commonly recommended - with one exception. Dependent on the mission profile, flights are frequently extended below 10% remaining charge. Nevertheless, never had any battery failure during the recent years.

My Conclusion:

Apparently,I have underestimated the risk towards the battery low voltage area. So, it is reasonable to avoid ending up well below ~ 15 %. More frequent Battery Healt checks might be a good idea as well together with monitoring the cell [V] during flights . Given this example, there would have been a reaction period of ~30 sec for an emergency descend in case of significant cell deviation.

Difficult to say whether it is related to the brand of the battery. According to the seller, it was purchased in 2020 from Amazon with overall good rating.

Painful loss anyway...

I am always impressed by those who disclaim victimhood. Your report reinforces my preference for OEM parts and careful attention to flight time.

Sorry for losing the MPP mate! Thanks for telling what happened so we can learn. I hope you’re planning to buy a new toy?

Cheers from the Netherlands!
-Joost-

Reactions: pelagic_one
@PeRo sorry to hear about you loss ,well done for realising that it was not really the fault of the drone ,hope you get a replacement and continue your drone flying journey,batteries often seem to be fine ,then suddenly let go ,i know that there are many different ideas on battery care ,and i am sure you will take note of some of the ways to try and mitigate battery failure in the future

Reactions: PeRo
I feel your loss with this one, when you think about it, each time you launch a mission, be it a manual flight or Litchi waypoint, the one & only thing that keeps that expensive chunk of technology in the air is the battery pack, one bad cell & the drone will drop like a brick, literally, I have been thinking about this a lot lately as I have 5 battery packs with my MP2, 3 I got with it, & 2 extra purchased afterwards, I label them all 1-5 & number 5 has never been charged (it is at 40% SOC) number 4 has been charged about 4 times, the others have had normal charge cycles, number 2 had the misfortune to end up being depleted to 0% after a mission failure (another story) so I marked this battery & keep a close eye on it now, it seems fine after a few re-charges, but I would not trust it for a long flight or long mission just incase a similar senario plays out & one cell fails catastrophically, not worth it when you have nearly £1k of hardware in the air.

Reactions: tlswift58
I use Airdata and check battery reports when creating post flight data logs. Have records for each battery, which includes minimum charge post flight & max temp per flight as well as several other bits of information. Hopefully it will show in advance any developing issues with the batteries......

This topic has opened my eyes, and drove me crazy. I have a MA2, in the DJI fly app you can see batt volts for each cell. Seems like the app could alert you at the moment a cell drops below the average of all cells, abnormally. Giving you at least a chance at landing. Does anyone know?

Reactions: tlswift58 and rp6
I am always impressed by those who disclaim victimhood. Your report reinforces my preference for OEM parts and careful attention to flight time.
Agreed regarding the preference of OEM parts. The issue is, that sooner or later we will need to consider 3rd party products as DJI is discontinuing the manufacturing (Batteries, Props, etc). So to continue operating Legacy MPs, you are dependent on either used OEM parts - which contain other risks - or new non-OEM products.

If DJI decides to stop a product line with related accessories, I would prefere their recommendation for 3rd party manufacturers with Quality rating.

However, close monitoring of crucial parameters is a key issue...

Living is a risk - every single day. We get "comfortable" with the norms and what feels safe, so we like to skirt the edges and see if that works or not.

One very common theme in the drone world is BATTERIES. Seen so many posts about issues when drained beyond a "safe" point - yet so many still fly to the extreme. Not saying right or wrong - as it's your drone to lose. Certain things you can get away with - like flying outside of VLOS (at safe heights) and such - but batteries - the one main component required to keep the bird in the air - should not be one of those - IMHO.

Yes, I too am guilty of trying to stay up the longest possible - esp in a great flying environment with plenty to video / shoot pics / fly over - yet I TOO risk losing the drone by doing so.

Not sure if I'd buy a 3rd party battery - esp if quality control is unknown. At least with a DJI battery - we do have a decent track record and more of a possibility that if one failed - then DJI would be more likely to "compensate" us should the drone crash as a result. Highly doubtful they would using a 3rd party part like a battery.

I too would "assume" the low battery alert did go off - it you did not disable it previously. That is a good warning to start ending the flight and getting home. To disregard / disable said warning is increasing the risk of the drone going down (as many posts do show). Yet, your drone to lose should you go beyond parameters to help you not lose it. 3rd party insurance like from State Farm / etc would be very beneficial for ALL of us.

Reactions: mereflyer and PeRo
Agreed regarding the preference of OEM parts. The issue is, that sooner or later we will need to consider 3rd party products as DJI is discontinuing the manufacturing (Batteries, Props, etc). So to continue operating Legacy MPs, you are dependent on either used OEM parts - which contain other risks - or new non-OEM products.

If DJI decides to stop a product line with related accessories, I would prefere their recommendation for 3rd party manufacturers with Quality rating.

However, close monitoring of crucial parameters is a key issue...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31