DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Finally passed on try number 4 - Advanced Exam

I did my flight review just a week afterwards, and it was a piece of cake, really, nothing to worry about but then again I suppose it hinges on the reviewer. My guy was pretty basic, nothing drastic. Good luck.
If you don't mind my asking, where did you get it and roughly how much did it cost?

Congratulations! I know what it feels like to fail such an exam multiple times before passing and I know the relief you're feeling. Do you have any idea how different the test is in Canada compared to the US, with the exception of the in person flight review, which we don't have? Is the written part on par of flat out more difficult?
No idea what the American test is like, but the test I wrote for the basic certificate had a lot of questions that didn't relate to flying a drone. Some related to flying a model airplane, and quite a few related to flying an aircraft.

I can't (legally) repeat the questions exactly, but I failed one because I didn't know the most common method of launching a sRPAS*. Turning on the motors and going straight vertically wasn't one of the options. Apparently if I flew RC model aircraft that would have been an easy one**.

I managed to pass the question that required I knew what controls are in a helicopter, thanks to childhood reading. Hint: it's nothing like the DJI controller controls :)

I got several questions about clouds and procedures for flying in them, which was odd given that the basic certification I was writing the test for required VLOS to be maintained with no exception.

I passed the questions about hypoxia, both what it is and its effects on vision, mostly because that was part of one of the lessions I taught in grade 10 science. Still don't know how that relates to flying an aircraft when your feet are on the ground. The questions on icing kinda made sense but the answers assumed you were flying a fixed-wing aircraft (and again, assumed you were flying in clouds so beyond VLOS).

The advanced test is longer, has a higher passing mark, and you have less time — I doubt I would have passed the advanced test my first time as I needed most of the time for the basic to get a good mark. (Good enough to pass the advanced test, but it wouldn't have been without the extra time.)

I like the idea behind the Canadian system, but I think that the test needs to be revised to better reflect knowledge that an actual sRPAS pilot needs. Something like flyaway procedures would make more sense than hypoxia.

*Small Remotely Piloted Aircraft System.

**Thinking about it, the most common way of launching drones (hand-launching) would have been marked wrong.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
@Robert Prior It seems like the Canadian test is laced too much with unrelated questions that would apply to drone pilots. Helicopter controls? Yeah... I know what they are as I did some helo simulator work. I know the general principles of aircraft. The USA test has some difficult questions too, some related to fixed wing aircraft, like balance and loading and lift. But hypoxia? We have weather related questions which have *some* relevance as well as communication questions, though I don't know of any UAV pilots that have ever had to contact an airport tower via radio. Some of the more difficult questions here make sense even though the chances of ever needing the info is slim. It's good to be able to read a sectional map and know about NOTAMS in case that is ever needed, which could be on occasion.

One would think if the Canadian authorities wanted to create more responsible and skilled UAV pilots they would have better screening for things that really matter for the aircraft you're going to fly. How hard would it be to have a different rating for drones vs fixe wing RC craft? I can see how preparation for your test would require a different kind of study. I think you guys have more rules and more restrictions than we do as well.

The USA test has some difficult questions too, some related to fixed wing aircraft, like balance and loading and lift. But hypoxia? We have weather related questions which have *some* relevance as well as communication questions, though I don't know of any UAV pilots that have ever had to contact an airport tower via radio. Some of the more difficult questions here make sense even though the chances of ever needing the info is slim. It's good to be able to read a sectional map and know about NOTAMS in case that is ever needed, which could be on occasion.
Those were on there too. Most of the test was reasonable, but the irrelevant questions were wildly so.

The test needs improving, but I think the basic idea (mandatory license, graduated levels) is sound.

As a point of comparison, we also require a license to operate a powerboat (of any horsepower) on a public waterway (which is almost all water). I don't think that's the case south of the border, given what I see in the news. (Or maybe the standards of responsible boating are different, or the enforcement is different?)

I think you guys have more rules and more restrictions than we do as well.
Yes and no. A license is required to fly recreationally (which you don't have), but there is no distinction between recreational and commercial flying — all restrictions are based on the flight, not the purpose behind it.

My basic certificate lets me fly outside of controlled airspace, as long as I stay 30 m away from people. I'm perfectly free to fly commercially within these restrictions, if I want to. Fjc's advanced certificate will let him fly inside controlled airspace (with appropriate clearances) and even over people (with the right equipment)*, which naturally gives him a lot more customers than I would get.

*And even with a simple drone he can legally get closer to people than I can.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hippysmavic