DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Finding it difficult to legally fly my drone

Most

insurance offer personal liability for things like recreational vehicles and such. I paid $35 for a month of $2 million coverage worldwide - after I made sure that drones were covered as personal recreation equipment.

Well my homeowners said no.

But in the case of Thailand, they want to see a policy which explicitly lists information about your drone, such as the model and serial number, on the policy documents itself. I've found a couple of services offering insurance for 1 million baht. No idea if they're reputable and would pay out. But in any event, the insurance would only be for Thailand or even if worldwide, it wouldn't be enough for other counties so it doesn't make sense to buy drone insurance only for Thailand.

I also looked into getting a visa before I go to Thailand in February. I'd have to send my passport to the Thai embassy in Washington for who knows how long and pay $40.

Thailand puts up some roadblocks for recreational drone users.

I'm sure TV and movie production companies have a much easier time of being able to film on drones.

OK, nobody has said this, yet ... so I have to speak to the issue of National Parks in the US. I’m a Mavic owner, and photographer. I get it. Love to fly. But common sense and the love of the outdoors would suggest that noise makers and flying objects substantially reduce the experience of pristine nature. It’s law, accept it. Support it. While you’re at it, don’t litter and take out the crap others leave. I don’t want a drone in my photo, I don’t want to hear them. I want quiet and no reminders of technology there. Don’t ruin America’s last virtue of beauty. There‘s plenty of other, safe space.

OK, nobody has said this, yet ... so I have to speak to the issue of National Parks in the US. I’m a Mavic owner, and photographer. I get it. Love to fly. But common sense and the love of the outdoors would suggest that noise makers and flying objects substantially reduce the experience of pristine nature. It’s law, accept it. Support it. While you’re at it, don’t litter and take out the crap others leave. I don’t want a drone in my photo, I don’t want to hear them. I want quiet and no reminders of technology there. Don’t ruin America’s last virtue of beauty. There‘s plenty of other, safe space.
As a photographer of many decades I can safely say the odds of you getting a drone in your shot is minuscule. Even if you did it would no more difficult to remove than a dust spec from your sensor.
I would also remind that part of "inclusiveness" is recognizing that there are other viewpoints and other ways people enjoy wherever are they find themselves in - you need to learn to respect, share and accept. You might as well complain that surfers are messing up your enjoyment of the ocean.

What I want to see is a map showing where we CAN actually fly to take landscape images..... I’m tired of hearing about all the no go areas in the UK and becoming convinced there is almost nowhere to enjoy this arial photography hobby.

SSSI I can understand but National trust blanket ban, English Heritage the same.... some landscapes are supposed to be owned for the enjoyment of the public and perhaps were given over to these organisations in that basis.... the New Forest another example, huge areas that could be used sensible but instead they enforce blanket bans for little justifiable reason.

maybe we need blanket bans against bike riding or dog ownership in such places as these things also present a nuisance to some folk.

It’s clear drone users are being discriminated against and maybe BMFA and the like should bring private prosecutions against these organisations for discriminating against a minority group ?Public areas should be for the use and pleasure of ALL members of the Public!

Reactions: Brojon
Hi. Just checked where I live and the only areas that are highlighted are united utilities land.

UK flyers should be aware that Natural England enforce a complete ban on drones in any SSSI area. They cover a lot of ground in the UK. You can check with this tool: https://magic.defra.gov.uk/MagicMap.aspx?startTopic=Designations&activelayer=sssiIndex&query=HYPERLINK='1001398'

SSSI is there for a purpose and we don't want to disturb wildlife -or pay the potentially unlimited fine that can be imposed!
SSSI is about rare
UK flyers should be aware that Natural England enforce a complete ban on drones in any SSSI area. They cover a lot of ground in the UK. You can check with this tool: https://magic.defra.gov.uk/MagicMap.aspx?startTopic=Designations&activelayer=sssiIndex&query=HYPERLINK='1001398'

SSSI is there for a purpose and we don't want to disturb wildlife -or pay the potentially unlimited fine that can be imposed!
Hi could you send me the link to the notice of unlimited fines. I can’t seem to find any warnings about fines. All I can find is” you should not fly over SSSI land”
Cheers

Hi, I have unknowingly been flying over SSSI land for the last 18 months. And so have the police who do their training there. I was also told by a policeman to fly there on one occasion as my local haunt where I sometimes fly was being searched by the police who where looking for body parts in a lodge. There are no signs up saying it is SSSI land, I would not have known but for looking at the map you posted. As for unlimited fines I think that’s for doing damage to the land.

Hi, I have unknowingly been flying over SSSI land for the last 18 months. And so have the police who do their training there. I was also told by a policeman to fly there on one occasion as my local haunt where I sometimes fly was being searched by the police who where looking for body parts in a lodge. There are no signs up saying it is SSSI land, I would not have known but for looking at the map you posted. As for unlimited fines I think that’s for doing damage to the land.
Hopefully Yo may be okay flying there. The problem is if the landowner gives permission for you to fly in an SSSI, and Natural England think this has 'damaged' the SSSI (eg.by disturbing nesting birds) there could be real consequences for the owner. Certainly don't fly there March to July to avoid the greatest risk of trouble!

This thread takes me back to a previous comment I made wondering if I am at liberty to launch from a public road / highway...... because thereafter airspace is airspace and if there are no airspace restrictions then my understanding is that so long as you have VLOS you fly without issue

This thread takes me back to a previous comment I made wondering if I am at liberty to launch from a public road / highway...... because thereafter airspace is airspace and if there are no airspace restrictions then my understanding is that so long as you have VLOS you fly without issue

It's been brought up before in posts, some highways have strict rules on stopping even, but there are probably loads you could launch from in most locations.
I've wondered about footpaths (sidewalks) too here in Australia, adjacent to council controlled parks etc, but I think our local councils have authority over those public spaces too.
Perhaps the same in many countries.

I have thankfully found it not too hard to find places to fly, but sympathise with folk that can't fly easily due to their location, ability to get themselves away from work or other commitments, ability to travel etc.

every bit of land is owned by someone,but if you take off from a public place and follow the drone code you are not breaking any rules, of course if you are going to fly over a specific location say some particular farm land then going to the farm house and asking if they have any objections goes a long way
at the end of the day if you are registered and fly within the rules at a height that is not going to interfere with wildlife or farm animals ,then you will be alright
if on the other hand you flew in a manner that the land owner thought could cause harm to his livestock or invade his privacy then there is nothing to stop him bringing a civil lawsuit against you

I was studying some locations to fly, ike the California coast below Monterey. There is the Bixby bridge for instance.

Well the coast for like 100 miles is a red zone, as a marine wildlife sanctuary. You can't fly below 1000 feet.

Airmap has a link to a site, eco-drone.org and they have articles about how drones can upset or even lead to deaths of birds and other wildlife which live in these coastal habitats.

Seems like a lot of rules and regulations put in place in response to consumer drones in a very short time.

It's been brought up before in posts, some highways have strict rules on stopping even, but there are probably loads you could launch from in most locations.
I've wondered about footpaths (sidewalks) too here in Australia, adjacent to council controlled parks etc, but I think our local councils have authority over those public spaces too.
Perhaps the same in many countries.

I have thankfully found it not too hard to find places to fly, but sympathise with folk that can't fly easily due to their location, ability to get themselves away from work or other commitments, ability to travel etc.
Here in WA the Main Roads Dept. have confirmed they have no problem with flying from the road reserve. This means that all the pull of areas, roadside stops and camping areas are OK. As for footpaths etc I guess that would depend on the council, however my local council was going to ban us from parks but had legal advise that they did not have the power to do so.

We can also fly in National parks as long as we comply with CASA rules and do not disturb wild life.

We can also fly in National parks as long as we comply with CASA rules and do not disturb wild life.

Are you sure about that, with national parks?

That would be different than most other countries.

One of the places I would have liked to have flown is The Gap, east of Sydney. There's a view the cliffs over the Pacific on one side and then a view of the Sydney skyline to the other side. It's near the Watsons Bay ferry wharf and a bus exchange but it hasn't been crowded the times I've visited.

But there are clear "No Drones" signs there.

I don't think it's a national park but I would guess that in a lot of popular places, there may be local restrictions.

As for footpaths etc I guess that would depend on the council, however my local council was going to ban us from parks but had legal advise that they did not have the power to do so.

Yeah I recall that from a previous post of yours re parks . . . is that flying over, or does it include actually being in the park for take off and landing ?
If in the park, well that is great !!
Most councils here have a ban on operating in their parks, but flyover is ok.

I fly them, with great care and empathy, have a couple of faourite parks for testing things, flying with my new goggles, all very open and safe.
If there are more than a single dog owner walking their animal there, I move on, otherwise I keep well away, it's a huge area.

The seaside metro councils here were first I think, basically all coastal parks are off limits, inland ones too, which is a shame.
Early mornings are fine in general to fly safe to CASA rules.

Great re Nat Pks in WA, QLD is the same, all ok to fly.
NT is fairly easy to get a free permit, with dates start and end of time in their parks, think it's a blanket permit to permit drone use.
Others vary, but in general you'd have more luck squeezing that stone and getting blood from it, I think.

Are you sure about that, with national parks?

That would be different than most other countries.

One of the places I would have liked to have flown is The Gap, east of Sydney. There's a view the cliffs over the Pacific on one side and then a view of the Sydney skyline to the other side. It's near the Watsons Bay ferry wharf and a bus exchange but it hasn't been crowded the times I've visited.

But there are clear "No Drones" signs there.

I don't think it's a national park but I would guess that in a lot of popular places, there may be local restrictions.

Gap lookout, yeah it's a council reserve, and yes it would normally be a pretty busy place.
The local council would have a bylaw against "operating a model aircraft" or similar, some of our councils ban kites with 2 strings !!
It must be so popular, they decided to out up the no drone signs, bless 'em for thinking of the huge danger to the public, hey :rolleyes:
If you went there very early weekday for sunrise, you might be lucky and find no one about, then you could take off from nearby and fly over.

Funny thing is, they are making it MORE dangerous in ways keeping hobbyists out of the parkland itself.
CASA rules should be enough to make such flights safe.

Our councils are very draconian, think they own the blasted land themselves, when it's the publics property.

Good to know, thanks.

This is mostly Western Australia though?

I guess you guys were mostly spared of the bush fires.

Good to know, thanks.

This is mostly Western Australia though?

I guess you guys were mostly spared of the bush fires.

See my post #77, Queensland is ok too for flying Nat Pks.
Other vary as noted there.

WA had a few fires in the perth hills, nullabor too, but not as widespread as NSW and Vic.
Only a small area of Australia suffered, but it was intense and great loss of life, property, bush, animal life, big rain coming is expected to help totally control what's still burning.
The country / bush springs back pretty fast.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d