DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fingers or Thumbs

Made2Phly

Reactions
When brand new (2018), I used a thumb on each controller stick. I have since switched to thumb and forefinger on each. I'm guessing this is personal preference, but would be interested to know others' thoughts.

Thumb and forefinger since back in RC days in the late 80's.

In RC days I would have a bigger controller with a neck strap, allowing me to let it hang from my neck and use thumb and fingers for precise control.

On the dji mavic series controllers I dont find it easy to do that. So I am using thumbs. Either way it is about slow, small precise movements if you are after cinema quality videos.

Reactions: Robert g
its a thumbs up from me

Reactions: Gindra
The use of your thumbs allows for more precise control singe your hand is held in position by gripping the congtroller.
The big debate! Im a thumbs guy too but there is no right way. Ive met a lot of pro pilots. For the most part 3D heli guys fly thumbs, fixed wing prefer to pinch thumb and fore finger. Holding the controller is usually not part of the equation as a neck strap adjusted properly does that for you.

Thumbs - unless I'm wanting to hold a steady forward speed, then I'll pinch with thumb and finger.

I am a pincher , I just can’t get precise moves with thumbs only

Reactions: Galeforce1
I learned to fly on DJI birds, and for me thumbs was the most natural feel. It kept my index fingers free for gimbal movement and to turn push the shutter buttons.

Now that I'm slowing getting into FPV, I find that using the pinch method gives me more control. So I'll be using both, depending on what I'm flying.

When brand new (2018), I used a thumb on each controller stick. I have since switched to thumb and forefinger on each. I'm guessing this is personal preference, but would be interested to know others' thoughts.
Thumbs since RC helis

Mavic mini control sticks... Buy Mavic Mini Control Sticks - DJI Store
View attachment 98734
Controller sticks, I don't use them. I'm all thumbs, when the sticks aren't installed, I can "brace" the remainder of my thumb on the controller housing to provide input feedback through the rest my thumb. No pun intended .
That's an entirely different method! Surely, the degree of precision control is vastly reduced by not using any controller sticks at all!

Reactions: Thomas B
Both, thumbs for general flying and pitch when precision is needed.

Reactions: NG Wildman
Thumbs only - I fly an M2P, so that means I have my forefingers available for the controls at the front of the RC at all times, which are configured to let me tweak all the exposure settings and take stills/video as needed.

Tbh, it's never even occurred to me to try and pinch, even for fine positioning - I use Tripod Mode on the rare occassions that's needed. I generally operate my cameras by touch only as much as possible though, so taking a finger of their "home key" to perform another task that's already taken care of would be somewhat counterintuitive to the way I've worked for decades.

Since the very first RC car back in early 80s, its been thumbs only. Be it n RC car, boat, plane, or drone.

Thumbs for take off and general flying. This allows forefinger use for gimbal and photo control.
But when I need accuracy, I slowly approach my target area checking all settings as I near the area and then it's pinch until I need to move the gimbal.
I think it's a good idea to practice switching between these tow techniques in open air, deciding on a general use and then altenating as needed.

Last edited:
Pinch feels right when flying and helps me be more precise. However, I really struggle using my middle finger for the gimbal dial so end up mixing fingers and thumbs!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tstr14