DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firehouse strobes

dronerdave

Reactions
I just did a test install of a few Firehouse strobes on my Mavic. I used Velcro for testing. The idea is for me to see the drone during daylight hours but the other day I had a plane come out of nowhere at about 100' that blew by me! I'm hoping that will help others see it. I know making your aircraft visible to the public can be a double edge sword but **** they look cool. Most of the places I go there aren't a lot of people anyway.

I put one white one on the bottom just behind the camera. The camera only seems to see the flash when pointing down during dusk. I still want to do more testing. The bottom sensors seem unaffected. I also added a white strobe to the tail landing gear. IMP makes a bracket for some cube lights that snaps over the battery. It's a bit more work popping the bracket off during each battery change but not bad at all. There I have Red and Green side lighting. My rear strobe doesn't allow the drone to fit into the box so I can put that strobe on top of the bracket for storage but it also works well in that configuration at night... err low light conditions. Being able to pop off the bracket makes charging easy. The double sided 3M tape gives the strobes a lower profile and if the strobes are affixed this way, it's easier to take all 3 strobes to the charger (all in 1 unit) rather than my Mavic having wires running all over it.

The 4 strobe units are bright, so much it's difficult to turn them off w/o blinding you. They strobe, flash, or run constant on. According to Firehouse (I haven't tested run times yet) the strobe setting can run 4-6 hours while the flash setting cut down run times a bit. There is also a fully on setting that I was told will run for about 30 minutes. During daylight hours I could easily see it over a quarter mile away.

Reactions: Dw911 and copterbob
Where are these available for purchase and how much does it cost?

Amazon, around 29 bucks, do a google search.

Where are these available for purchase and how much does it cost?
I ship STROBON Cree strobe lights from the US. Mine are only $19.

If interested, you can order them from me here. I ship them daily (except on Sunday since USPS is closed).

1.jpg

Reactions: WAXMAN
Because I wanted them to be as visible as possible during daylight hours I went with the Firehouse 4 strobe. They make 3 and 2 strobe models but the four's are very brilliant. They also have a tri color that flashes white red and green but I wasn't after that. The 3&4 strobe models have a larger battery and is why they last over 4 hours. The circuit board is slightly larger than the Strobon (about an inch by inch and a half) so they take up more space and I don't think they will not fit in many of the holders marketed for the Strobon units. I think I paid 34 bucks a piece directly from Firehouse.

Reactions: Rich55
Are you referring to me? I ship worldwide.

Reactions: Eric17
OK. I did a search on Google and found a website who’s selling Firehouse strobes. Do you have a link?

Ups! Link couple of post earlier...[emoji51]
Sorry I didn't mention the company is actually called Firehouse Technology. I have no affiliation with them and am not pushing their product. I have no clue on the quality control. If Strobon had the same number of strobes and battery life I would have purchased from MavicHelp. Also he has some cleaner installs that's for sure. Too bad these strobe companies don't have something a bit more professional looking than a circuit board

Does adding any of the strobe units cause issue with the aircraft balance or flight performance?

Had the Mavic just shy of 5000 feet out (100 up) and could still see it during mid day. I'd venture to say 5000 is a realistic daytime sight limit. It's also much easier to see the aircraft if the sky is the background. At about 30 foot off the ground, I had a hard time seeing it when flying 4000-5000 feet out. As long as it's light out or I'm high enough off the ground, the strobes makes it look more like a full sized aircraft. Some people don't even realize it's a UAV. On the other hand, landing will turn heads... especially at dusk. I went through 5 Mavic batteries and the strobes were left on the whole time. If judging run time vs charge time, I probably had a few more hours of strobe battery life. They all charged up in about 30-45 min.

Reactions: Magilla Gorilla
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flyingthe405