DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

firmware .800 Flight restrictions

i think your way off on this one. none of those examples remotly relate to our discussion. if you are using a trial program such as adobe then its a bit rich to ask for free all the advanced features, your phone data is what you signed up for, if you paid for 3GB then thats all you get. not sure how this relates to FW and software updates.

i would like to hear more about "Microsoft does if you try running new or more powerful programmes."
The example was odd.

Far closer an example would be to point out that features and capabilities of Windows do change, and sometime get removed, after updates. If those features were important to you, you may be pretty pissed off, and feeling similar to those here saying DJI has no right to "cripple" the functionality of the software they license to you, both in the aircraft, and on the smart device.

Yet, the circumstances are remarkably similar. With microsoft updates, you are first required to consent to a licensing agreement that gives MS the right to alter Windows in any way they see fit, including removing features and functionality that you may rely on. And they do.

And no one has a prayer of ever getting a lawsuit over this into a courtroom, let alone winning one. Why? Because you surrendered your rights as a condition of accepting updates, and agreed to let Microsoft enhance or cripple the product in any way they see fit.

You have exactly the same thing with the Mavic. Yes, you own the physical aircraft. This is rather settled property and tort law.

However, you never, ever owned the firmware in the drone, RC, and battery. In fact, you had to agree to Terms & Conditions in order for DJI to grant you a license to use that software, and were required to affirmatively notify of your agreement to those terms by using their registration system to let DJI know who you are, and activate the software in the drone.

This too is rather settled law. It is no less acceptable for DJI to do this, than for Samsung to do the same with the firmware running on your smart flatscreen TV (did you know that you licensed that too, and don't own it?) Or your wifi router. Laptop BIOS. And hundreds of other things you own.

There's no argument that something like this is infuriating. However, it's a product of people being lazy and dismissive about things they agree to, believing that somehow in court that will be a viable excuse. It isn't.

As has been pointed out ad nauseum in this forum, no one is being forced to accept these changes in functionality. I'm a living example: I haven't, and so the 30m/50m restriction isn't in my Mavic. There are no circumstances, anywhere on this planet, where I will be restricted as such, because the code necessary to implement it isn't in my Mavic.

Why? Because I read the T&C for the firmware, and did NOT agree to those functionality changes.

I'm all the way back on .400, and at the moment have no reason to flash anything newer. I lack Airplane Mode -- don't care, so not a reasons to upgrade and accept what I DON'T want in the newer firmware. I don't have goggles, so same story.

Goggles may be enough of a feature in the near future to get me to update. But then, it will be my responsibility for accepting these new features that limit functionality of my Mavic, not DJI's.

Last edited:
It wont force you into doing the update (yet) on FW. Why would you want the new app and old FW you cant use the advanced functions without the FW upgrade so if you are not updating FW no point to update the app.

I have not heard of any advanced functions of the firmware update. Can you list them?

Reactions: Forrest
Absolutely ..... if there is no gain for USERS, then what is the REAL purpose??
Here we go again...

tinfoilhat.jpg

The REAL purpose has been explicitly stated and widely "broadcast" (in a PR sense) by DJI. There's no secret agenda.

In fact, the REAL reason is why so many of you are running around looking like that guy and his cat.

The example was odd.

Far closer an example would be to point out that features and capabilities of Windows do change, and sometime get removed, after updates. If those features were important to you, you may be pretty pissed off, and feeling similar to those here saying DJI has no right to "cripple" the functionality of the software they license to you, both in the aircraft, and on the smart device.

Yet, the circumstances are remarkably similar. With microsoft updates, you are first required to consent to a licensing agreement that gives MS the right to alter Windows in any way they see fit, including removing features and functionality that you may rely on. And they do.

And no one has a prayer of ever getting a lawsuit over this into a courtroom, let alone winning one. Why? Because you surrendered your rights as a condition of accepting updates, and agreed to let Microsoft enhance or cripple the product in any way they see fit.

You have exactly the same thing with the Mavic. Yes, you own the physical aircraft. This is rather settled property and tort law.

However, you never, ever owned the firmware in the drone, RC, and battery. In fact, you had to agree to Terms & Conditions in order for DJI to grant you a license to use that software, and were required to affirmatively notify of your agreement to those terms by using their registration system to let DJI know who you are, and activate the software in the drone.

This too is rather settled law. It is no less acceptable for DJI to do this, than for Samsung to do the same with the firmware running on your smart flatscreen TV (did you know that you licensed that too, and don't own it?) Or your wifi router. Laptop BIOS. And hundreds of other things you own.

There's no argument that something like this is infuriating. However, it's a product of people being lazy and dismissive about things they agree to, believing that somehow in court that will be a viable excuse. It isn't.

As has been pointed out ad nauseum in this forum, no one is being forced to accept these changes in functionality. I'm a living example: I haven't, and so the 30m/50m restriction isn't in my Mavic. There are no circumstances, anywhere on this planet, where I will be restricted as such, because the code necessary to implement it isn't in my Mavic.

Why? Because I read the T&C for the firmware, and did NOT agree to those functionality changes.

I'm all the way back on .400, and at the moment have no reason to flash anything newer. I lack Airplane Mode -- don't care, so not a reasons to upgrade and accept what I DON'T want in the newer firmware. I don't have goggles, so same story.

Goggles may be enough of a feature in the near future to get me to update. But then, it will be my responsibility for accepting these new features that limit functionality of my Mavic, not DJI's.
You put it in a better comprehensive way than I could.
Thanks.

The example was odd.

You will be happy to know the goggles work fine with .400 firmware.
Even the 5D button.

Rob

The example was odd.

You are absolutely correct .... just don't update your software or firmware.... why pilots keep overlooking this is hard to understand. I also don't have those restrictions because I haven't updated and I don't intend to allow DJi to cripple my Mavic as they see fit. I don't knowingly break the law, don't fly over groups, and rarely fly more than 1/2 mile away. I'm on the fringe of a Control Zone with no towers and almost NO activity. But they still mark it as a "Control Zone". And yet ... no one can tell me what wonderful benefits I will have if I update .. why? Probably because there are no benefits for drone pilots.

Right, so somewhat related is I'd like to see in an update is DJI making those little boxes you have to check (before it clears the screen of an Area Restriction warning/confirm) with like MORE CONTRAST or something...seems every time I'm out flying that message comes up and finding those boxes is tough on a sunlit day! Anybody from DJI, reading this? Thanks if you are....

Reactions: Justrbloke
Still ..... I've about had it with my Mavic. Other than being able to fold it up and stuff it in your wallet, there seems to be a firmware update every time u turn it on, the NFZs are larger than actually on maps, and the performance and stability is nowhere near my Phantom Pro 3. Half of the places I can't even takeoff with the Mavic, I can drag out my Pro 3 with no problems. And with the Mavic, u have no choice with upgrades. Do it or shut down cause u ain't flying. Totally disgusted given my personal prior experience with the Phantom Vision 2+ and Pro 3.

I can totally understand the restrictions when you dont have a videofeed..... who in their right state of mind would want to fly this tiny freaking thing out of LOS without a videostream anyway. Not me thats for sure. Ipad pro 12.9 everytime i go up. I mainly dont fly this to fly..... i fly to capture amazing **** from the air that you would normally never get to.

where LOS is a requirement in a country its completely illegal to use only goggles/video feeds to control a drone, LOS is line of sight between the operators eyes and the drone.

Reactions: Knight Hawk
where LOS is a requirement in a country its completely illegal to use only goggles/video feeds to control a drone, LOS is line of sight between the operators eyes and the drone.

Can't speak for all countries but in Australia you can fly FVP but you must have an observer who maintains visual line of sight at all times with the naked eye.

Can't speak for all countries but in Australia you can fly FVP but you must have an observer who maintains visual line of sight at all times with the naked eye.
is there a reference you can provide? happy to be corrected,
does it apply everywhere (eg. parks and beaches,) or just at model flying clubs? most of us don't yet belong to model flying clubs and fly it recreationally.
all i could go by is:
Be able to see the aircraft with your own eyes (rather than through first-person-view [FPV, binoculars, telescopes]) at all times,
excerpt: (Civil Aviation Safety Authority Australia) CASA

Last edited:
Reactions: Rnl
is there a reference you can provide? happy to be corrected,
does it apply everywhere (eg. parks and beaches,) or just at model flying clubs? most of us don't yet belong to model flying clubs and fly it recreationally.
all i could go by is:
Be able to see the aircraft with your own eyes (rather than through first-person-view [FPV, binoculars, telescopes]) at all times,
excerpt: CASA

Boom!

Oh holy ****. i uppgraded and the Mavic took a jump right up my a...hole. Now i cant make it do that again..

Wow, I've been reading all the posts and scared about downloading. Bought the new goggles and when I was syncing them up with my Mav, the new firmware popped up. I hit installed and then for two days waited to get enough time to try them out. Goggles and new firmware first flight.....not one issue. Not sure what all these folks are complaining about.

Reactions: jdcntulsa
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d