DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

firmware and software: upgrade or don't upgrade and why?

MichWolverine

Reactions
I know upgrades aren't always upgrades, and sometimes rolling back is a real pain. I recently bought a mavic pro directly from DJI. Could I get some input from other pilots on what you suggest? thank you

I know upgrades aren't always upgrades, and sometimes rolling back is a real pain. I recently bought a mavic pro directly from DJI. Could I get some input from other pilots on what you suggest? thank you
Try a search on this, there are literally (and I do mean literally) a hundred threads on this. Sometimes the new firmware is glitchy and that is why people do not wish to upgrade. I have always upgraded and have not had a problem.

Try a search on this, there are literally (and I do mean literally) a hundred threads on this. Sometimes the new firmware is glitchy and that is why people do not wish to upgrade. I have always upgraded and have not had a problem.

Oh I'm sure there is. I asked just as a quick bit of info. more for if there was a better combo for software/firmware or not. I appreciate your time in responding. I will get to work.

Reactions: Bunny Too
It depends mostly on what device you plan to use. Apple almost always works with out issue with latest firmware and software. Android devices, especially cheaper models need older less demanding firmware and software.

Keep in mind,
If 100 people give you advice it will be about 50/50 on which way to go. 50 Apple users that always update 25 android users that can’t get things to work unless they use older versions and 25 people that don’t know because they went straight to the rollback option.

This latest firmware is giving me issues on my iPhone X, which is pretty terrible. I had no-connection issues with my screen when I first started, then I had RTH issues while flying and when hitting RTH. I'm probably going to roll back, because I do not trust my drone with this firmware.

Reactions: snoopdrone
in my opinion I wouldnt go higher than .900, every update after that is just locking down the mavic if you read up on them

I usually always run current firmware versions. When putting $1K+ into the air, I like to know that I'm running code with the latest tweaks and fixes.

Reactions: ac0j
For me .700 or .900 are great with modded app not asking for updates
I guess depends what you looking for...

Of course, if you update, you need to update EVERYTHING. Not just software, or firmware. IOS must be kept up to date as well.. Some software updates are to adjust to new IOS updates.
Again, "disconnects" and app stopping are 2 completely different things. The RC flys the aircraft, the app just gives you a visual and some additional controls.
There is NO REASON for a mishap if the app drops out. UNLESS you are flying outside of the line of sight and do not understand how to use the distance on the RC to guide it back home.
No one can explain why thousands of people have no issues with firmware using a specific phone or tablet, but there is a couple percent of users with exact same equipment that are convinced their mavic wont work with current firmware. See the problem with that?
Switch device to airplane mode, shut down all other running apps, messaging, and shut facebook and instagram type apps OFF. If you havent done a hard reboot on your phone or tablet in awhile, that is also a GREAT idea before you fly.

Reactions: Lopez0015
If that was true, you would still be on windows 95.
But, as you know, new software wont run on crappy old operating systems.
Pretty much every update for any platform has bug fixes, or they wouldn't be released. Unless you are in the "they are stealing features from me" camp.

Now Not for Me
But for someone else. Mmm

iOS ..... (iPhone or iPad)

Latest. DJI GO 4 app

Latest firmware on Mavic

And always check for iOS updates before you fly..most of iOS users experience problems with DJI GO4 app gets fix after an IOS update

Am always changing firmware going up and down but I don’t need new features And think the .900 is latest best camera default settings and .700 most stable maybe just me but a smooth ride

Today and on .700 tomorrow maybe latest FW taking panos. Hehe

Last edited:
I usually always run current firmware versions. When putting $1K+ into the air, I like to know that I'm running code with the latest tweaks and fixes.

You always give really great responses to questions, but maybe not so much this time.
As soon as you launch with a new update you're flying unknown.
You could now be running code with a disaster attached to it, or not, but you do know the old code was good because it hopefully flew without a disaster.

I get why people want to update and maybe use a new feature or they're having a problem.

Personally I found software that works fine about 6 months ago and will never update again because everything works fine.
And I don't want to go through update brain damage.

I'm not a big risk taker when it comes to Flying these things.

I am with the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" here. As for the win95 argument, if it would be rock stable, secure, would support current hardware etc, and thats how i read "not broken" in an OS case, i would have no problem staying on it.

You always give really great responses to questions, but maybe not so much this time.
As soon as you launch with a new update you're flying unknown.
You could now be running code with a disaster attached to it, or not, but you do know the old code was good because it hopefully flew without a disaster.

I get why people want to update and maybe use a new feature or they're having a problem.

Personally I found software that works fine about 6 months ago and will never update again because everything works fine.
And I don't want to go through update brain damage.

I'm not a big risk taker when it comes to Flying these things.

When you took your brand new Mavic out of the box YOU were flying unknown. It is a little ridiculous to think that the MANUFACTURER of the drone would release an untested firmware. I am also confident that they do not make major flight control changes. The biggest firmware/software issues I see people complaining about is;
Not compatible with their old or under powered tablets or phones
They dont want to be reminded that they are in NFZ's
They want to exceed altitude and distance limitations
They dont want to manually adjust their camera settings
In almost EVERY case when a person comes here and claims "firm ware update crashed my drone" It is later discovered to be operator error.

Of course, you can do what you want when it comes to updating or not. But it is not fair for you to give "update or not" advice to people based on your unfounded fears of a catastrophe because of a firmware update.
EVERY firmware version was someones first version. Of course they all work.

Reactions: trriley5
keep in mind if you watch the official forums also, dji has a very minimal software q/a team and relies on the user base for feedback to fix bugs, why they always ask for you to send your drone in for "service", also a reason they are so lax on releasing the gpl source until revisions are made in between all the critical crashes in firmware

They have never asked for my drone for service, and what critical crashes in firmware would you be referring too?
I would love to read about those. Links?

Not no even close when you said ~ in almost EVERY case~ look what happened on past to android users

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure