DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firmware-Software- RC Disconnects

ac0j

Reactions
There has been a lot of threads about Firmware, software, and RC disconnects latley. I have noticed that there seems to be some confusion.

I will start with "RC disconnected" posts.
After I read through some threads that state "RC disconnected, lost the aircraft" what I am seeing in most of them is that the phone or tablet has disconnected, but the RC is still good according to the logs (when posted) The Tablet/phone does NOT fly the Mavic. The RC does. SO, when the app disconnects the flight information shown on the device will not be current. This is where some think they are getting no response from stick movements. Of course not if you are looking at the device in stead of the RC display because you are disconnected. When and if the DJI Go 4 app drops out, you need to look to the flight data on the remote control screen to see how the aircraft is behaving as a result of your stick input. RTH wont work from the device either, so you must initiate it from the button on the RC, NOT the app. Remember to push and hold the button till you get an audible response from the remote. It should beep continuously until the aircraft returns.

FIRMWARE

Firmware IS NOT the DJI Go4 app, firmware is basically the operating system or Bios the the Mavic and remote use to compute the flight data. It is also what sends information to the phone/tablet.
The DJI Go4 APP is just a remote control for the most part that allows you to see what the camera sees. and check /change serttings on the fly. It is NOT REQUIRED to pilot the Mavic.
Now with that said, if you update the APP it will assume you have the latest firmware, make sure you do! Also make sure the Phone/Tablet is fully updated because that is what some of the firmware/Software updates are addressing. As I have said before, If you do updates, MAKE SURE you update EVERYTHING!

Hope this clears up some things for the cherries, and if it saves one "flyaway" I will feel like I have made a difference!

Now this is when we wait for the Engineers to drop in and tell me I am totally wrong, and I have no place posting about what I dont understand. :D

After recently upgrading to firmware .0200, I did start to get the usual phone/tablet only disconnects happening while still remaining in full control of the drone via the rc itself. But, twice now I have experienced full on loss of RC, zero stick movement, with the drone 20 feet in front of me, and after about 5 seconds the drone when into RTH and flew back off to its take off point. Both times, the controller came back alive and started beeping when the drone started its final landing sequence, and allowed me to regain control of the drone. For reference, the first disconnect happened with the latest official dji go app, the second one happened a day later while using a "lite" version of dji go 4.1.15, a version I have used on many flights without issues before on .0100. Which makes me think this is more firmware related.
I'm not particularly impressed with these new updates, and these other people seem to be making valid points if its even happening over here now.

Agree with the OP 100%. There are three software versions to look at - the Go4, the drone, and the RC. It seems to me like some pilots are not grasping the need to match all three. I agree with OP's assessment. DJI should add pop up windows with a warning to check the other pieces of the FW when one is updated. Xennex, you should check the FW version of your rc.

I also recommend flying the drone without the RC (and without the controller in the case of the Air) to train yourself how everything works if your display device fails, goes dead from low battery, etc.

Reactions: Drgnfli
A bit of guessing on my part, but I think the most essential part would be that the RC and AC firmware match.

As far as the app goes, probably best to make sure you are using the same version as listed in the DJI firmware changelog OR higher, but lower then the next firmware revision.

Assuming the AC and RC firmware match, you should maintain control via the RC even if you lose the app. So that will give you 2 (of 3) lines of defence... The AC to control the craft (or RTH if you are past LOS), and the final line of defence... AC based automatic RTH.

Thats the logic I go by, being a fairly new mavic owner (but have been flying Arudcopter based quads for 3 years now)... I decided to keep mine at 800 (as it was shipped) but match my RC to 800 (was shipped with 550).

There has been a lot of threads about Firmware, software, and RC disconnects latley. I have noticed that there seems to be some confusion.

After I read through some threads that state "RC disconnected, lost the aircraft" what I am seeing in most of them is that the phone or tablet has disconnected, but the RC is still good according to the logs (when posted) The Tablet/phone does NOT fly the Mavic. The RC does. SO, when the app disconnects the flight information shown on the device will not be current. This is where some think they are getting no response from stick movements. Of course not if you are looking at the device in stead of the RC display because you are disconnected. When and if the DJI Go 4 app drops out, you need to look to the flight data on the remote control screen to see how the aircraft is behaving as a result of your stick input. RTH wont work from the device either, so you must initiate it from the button on the RC, NOT the app. Remember to push and hold the button till you get an audible response from the remote. It should beep continuously until the aircraft returns.

FIRMWARE

Firmware IS NOT the DJI Go4 app, firmware is basically the operating system or Bios the the Mavic and remote use to compute the flight data. It is also what sends information to the phone/tablet.
The DJI Go4 APP is just a remote control for the most part that allows you to see what the camera sees. and check /change serttings on the fly. It is NOT REQUIRED to pilot the Mavic.
Now with that said, if you update the APP it will assume you have the latest firmware, make sure you do! Also make sure the Phone/Tablet is fully updated because that is what some of the firmware/Software updates are addressing. As I have said before, If you do updates, MAKE SURE you update EVERYTHING!

Hope this clears up some things for the cherries, and if it saves one "flyaway" I will feel like I have made a difference!

Now this is when we wait for the Engineers to drop in and tell me I am totally wrong, and I have no place posting about what I dont understand. :D
This is a very good explanation of how things work! Thx

A bit of guessing on my part, but I think the most essential part would be that the RC and AC firmware match.

As far as the app goes, probably best to make sure you are using the same version as listed in the DJI firmware changelog OR higher, but lower then the next firmware revision.

Assuming the AC and RC firmware match, you should maintain control via the RC even if you lose the app. So that will give you 2 (of 3) lines of defence... The AC to control the craft (or RTH if you are past LOS), and the final line of defence... AC based automatic RTH.

Thats the logic I go by, being a fairly new mavic owner (but have been flying Arudcopter based quads for 3 years now)... I decided to keep mine at 800 (as it was shipped) but match my RC to 800 (was shipped with 550).

Well spoke, where the hitch comes in eapecially for new folk(like me) is when they dont match. My controller aparently doesnt. My controller will stay not link with the ac. When that happens i can land it with the app land incon but not the sticks and that the only thing i can do.Make sence to you?

FIRMWARE

Network architect here... Nope, your post is spot on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eastoncrafter