DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

firmware update 06.01.0670

Guys, I am not very technology minded. What is a firmware update please?

Should I do it for my Mavic Air, and someone said something about the batteries - I have 5 now. I bought 4 off a chap who flew his drone into the sea after 1 hour... 2 of the batteries were still in their cardboard boxes, unopened.

What do I have to do to get updated? Probably very basic questions for anyone who uses this stuff all the time.

KingRat, a firmware upgrade is much like any software upgrade for an app you use on your computer. It's called 'firmware' for a variety of reasons that aren't really important here -- let's just say that it update software on a chip that is totally dedicated to this piece of hardware (rather than an app on a computer that can work on many devices and along with lots of other applications that the computer operating system supports).

Once you have the aircraft / controller updated, the batteries generally just update by themselves when you use each one, until they're all updated. Not all firmware updates will have something for batteries though.

There are two ways to update your firmware, as mentioned on this official DJI firmware upgrade page. The first one is easiest. Be sure that you have mostly charged batteries, and I think it's also good to be signed in (on the front page of the DJI Go 4 page).

You do not have to upgrade, but the firmware almost always has fixed bugs in it. And sometimes new functionality (new features) or tweeked performance enhancements. Some on this forum follow the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule, but my take is that the longer you go without updating your firmware, the more chances you are taking with your investment, because the bugs are building up. It doesn't matter how "it flies fine right now without updating!", there are still risks.

Chris

Reactions: KingRat
Has anyone had a problem with the gimbal with the 0670 firmware?
My Mavic's 2 gimbal was broken after update. It shakes during the flight. I downgraded to 0510 firmware but it didn't help.
Maybe it's a coincidence, I don't know.

KingRat, a firmware upgrade is much like any software upgrade for an app you use on your computer. It's called 'firmware' for a variety of reasons that aren't really important here -- let's just say that it update software on a chip that is totally dedicated to this piece of hardware (rather than an app on a computer that can work on many devices and along with lots of other applications that the computer operating system supports).

Once you have the aircraft / controller updated, the batteries generally just update by themselves when you use each one, until they're all updated. Not all firmware updates will have something for batteries though.

There are two ways to update your firmware, as mentioned on this official DJI firmware upgrade page. The first one is easiest. Be sure that you have mostly charged batteries, and I think it's also good to be signed in (on the front page of the DJI Go 4 page).

You do not have to upgrade, but the firmware almost always has fixed bugs in it. And sometimes new functionality (new features) or tweeked performance enhancements. Some on this forum follow the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule, but my take is that the longer you go without updating your firmware, the more chances you are taking with your investment, because the bugs are building up. It doesn't matter how "it flies fine right now without updating!", there are still risks.

Chris

Thank you. Mine is already updated, I used the flight method going through the flying device on our home wifi - no red bar for update appeared, so I am taking the stance that it must be at the latest already.

Thank you. Mine is already updated, I used the flight method going through the flying device on our home wifi - no red bar for update appeared, so I am taking the stance that it must be at the latest already.

No, you really should look for the number. On this last update, I clicked on Check For Updates several times and it never detected that I was behind a version (I know I was because I checked the numbers -- see next para). While I was connected to the Internet (as the DJI video cautioned one should be), I was not Signed In (the video does not mention that part). when I figured that out and signed in, then clicked Check For Updates, it said "New Firmware Available (or something like that) and I was able to update.

Checking Versions: Go to the General screen (triple dot menu at the bottom), scroll down to About (the last entry on the General screen), then look for the various firmware versions. If "Aircraft" (or aircraft and remote) ends in ".0670", then you are updated. Otherwise, you aren't.

Chris

Reactions: KingRat
Thank you. I shall check again later. I am going to have another go - my flying is coming on, but my photo and video editing is woeful. It is SO complicated. It is fine if you are used to computer stuff, I don't understand half the wordse in the tutorials.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard