DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firmware Update Headaches

Hiflyer808

Reactions
I have had issues with updating firmware on previous DJI drones, and with my new Mini 3 it’s more of the same. After one failed attempt to update firmware, when the drone overheated because the download was too slow, I thought I had successfully updated the firmware on my second attempt. But when I tried to fly the drone, I got a message that I can’t launch because the aircraft firmware needed to be updated. And now, trying to update the firmware, once again the download is too slow and the drone has overheated and turned itself off. So I have three questions. 1. How can I go back to the wifi network settings so I can use my faster household wifi instead of the phone hotspot? I have looked in the manual and see nothing about this. 2. Is there a way I can pre-download the firmware without the drone being on, so I don’t have the issue of it overheating and turning itself off? And 3., is there a way to do this via usb to avoid the issue of slow downloads? Please help, my Europe vacation is in two weeks and I want to have adequate practice with using the drone before I leave..

I have had issues with updating firmware on previous DJI drones, and with my new Mini 3 it’s more of the same. After one failed attempt to update firmware, when the drone overheated because the download was too slow, I thought I had successfully updated the firmware on my second attempt. But when I tried to fly the drone, I got a message that I can’t launch because the aircraft firmware needed to be updated. And now, trying to update the firmware, once again the download is too slow and the drone has overheated and turned itself off. So I have three questions. 1. How can I go back to the wifi network settings so I can use my faster household wifi instead of the phone hotspot? I have looked in the manual and see nothing about this. 2. Is there a way I can pre-download the firmware without the drone being on, so I don’t have the issue of it overheating and turning itself off? And 3., is there a way to do this via usb to avoid the issue of slow downloads? Please help, my Europe vacation is in two weeks and I want to have adequate practice with using the drone before I leave..
have the props spinning for the half of the upgrade or as much as possible to reduce overheating

@Hiflyer808 do not under any circumstances have the props spinning when you are doing the update, you need to have some air movement over the drone ,and the best way is to have a fan blowing over it, to go back to WIFI settings from the top of the screen slide your finger down twice and the settings screen will appear on there you will see WIFI it will be white if activated grey if not
touch it to turn it on, or off ,in your case i would if it is already on, turn it off ,and then reactivate it, once it has found your home WIFI modem ,enter the modems access code and it will link to the modem
this is for the dji-rc with the built in screen

You have two separate wifi channels to think about, in doing an update. The software download comes through your phone or controller, however those are set. The link to your drone is handled by a separate setting in DJI fly.

@SpinItUp if i have to explain why you should not have the motors running during a firmware update,then there's no point really ,obviously you dont have any safety concerns around doing it ,so carry on thats your choice ,but please dont advise others to follow in your footsteps

@SpinItUp if i have to explain why you should not have the motors running during a firmware update,then there's no point really ,obviously you dont have any safety concerns around doing it ,so carry on thats your choice ,but please dont advise others to follow in your footsteps
Well, it's not something that I would do, but I tend to be over-cautious about such things.

Is there some specific Bad Thing that would happen if you did that, or is it just the general increase in risk resulting from having spinning props, as opposed to stationary props?

Inquiring minds...

Thx.

Reactions: SpinItUp
well for starters during the update the drone could, and probably would become airborne, and with the props spinning all sorts of mayhem could ensue as it careered around the room
so why would you leave yourself open for such an event

Reactions: Torque
great now we have cleared that up ,lets get this thread back on track

Reactions: SpinItUp
Yes, getting it back on track but then going sideways, I did figure out how to go back and change to the household wifi. The update went smoothly and I was able to fly it this morning, and, two big first impressions. One, is that it is very quiet indeed compared to the original mavic pro and the mavic zoom I had before. I know people have been saying it’s quiet, but I didn’t expect it to be THAT quiet. That is great because one reason I didn’t fly my older drones that often was because I always thinking about the noise, how they announced their presence to everyone. With this one, you can barely hear it at 30 feet. Second, spotlight and p.o.i. are game changers coming from an older generation of drone that didn’t have it. They make most “quick shots” unnecessary; for example you can do a perfect dronie with spotlight mode; just go up and back and you stay nicely framed even if you decide to, for example, start to move up more quickly in the middle of the shot. The gimbal automatically moves down. And you can use p.o.i. for circle, and even helix, moving back and up as you circle. Plus, you can do these shots in d cinelike 10 bit, while with quick shots you can only use the natural, 8 bit profile. So, a lot more excited about those than trace mode. Also you can use spotlight as a way to imitate trace mode but from in front of you, flying backwards. Tracking from in front also is more interesting to me than from behind..
There was one other glitch when I discovered my card was too slow, so I could only shoot briefly for the internal storage. But I got a fast card today and will do more shots this evening.

"One, is that it is very quiet indeed compared to the original mavic pro and the mavic zoom I had before. I know people have been saying it’s quiet, but I didn’t expect it to be THAT quiet. That is great because one reason I didn’t fly my older drones that often was because I always thinking about the noise, how they announced their presence to everyone. With this one, you can barely hear it at 30 feet."

I find that my drones are much quieter when I turn off my hearing aids. ;)

have the props spinning for the half of the upgrade or as much as possible to reduce overheating
Using a fan is the best option whilst updating the drone.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
No offense folks, but don't you think DJI knows best? After all, they designed the thing and no doubt did a lot of testing in the development process. If there were any risk at all of overheating, don't you think they'd have instructions as part of the upgrade process?

What about the op’s question about downloading the update prior to powering on the aircraft? I have very poor internet (HughesNet) and I’m afraid it will take too long to download.

What about the op’s question about downloading the update prior to powering on the aircraft? I have very poor internet (HughesNet) and I’m afraid it will take too long to download.
HughesNet is an abomination. The fact that it's better than dial-up is its only virtue.

Sign up for Starlink from SpaceX. I did, and the change was transformational. No more No more slow downloading. I can even watch a movie without buffering.

5763928A-74EB-427B-AFF7-9E9A16238979.jpeg
5763928A-74EB-427B-AFF7-9E9A16238979.jpeg

No offense folks, but don't you think DJI knows best? After all, they designed the thing and no doubt did a lot of testing in the development process. If there were any risk at all of overheating, don't you think they'd have instructions as part of the upgrade process?
I've had my M3P since 6/7 and with all the firmware updates I've never had it overheat, never had a fan on it. It gets very warm, I expect that. I trust DJI I guess.

I've had my M3P since 6/7 and with all the firmware updates I've never had it overheat, never had a fan on it. It gets very warm, I expect that. I trust DJI I guess.
I already had a fan so it is and was no bother to use it, it’s a neck fan , looks like headphones and I place the fans either side of my drone, it’s not a hassle and it keeps aircraft cool, if using this method helps to preserve the integtof my drones why not, cheers Len

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d