DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

firmware update?

OK, Now you are stretching.
To your speed limit analogy, YES I would buy a car that REMINDED me of the speed limit if I was speeding.

Some people don't like to be nagged. And DJI does more than just nag you - they actually lock you out from flying in certain areas.

That is more to the point than your attempt to dispute my comments.

Nobody is disputing your comments. If you want to understand where the non-updaters are coming from, take a minute and think about what I wrote instead of getting all defensive.

Update the firmware. Do it whenever they suggest you do. You’ll get better performance and more features overall.
After all the blah, blah, blah in this post, there was actually some sound and astute advice.

But don't let people on the internet who may have more experience than you dictate what you do. I mean why would you want to avoid a possible glitch or cause software harm by listening to people who may have experienced it before you? Much smarter to take your $1,000.00+ investment and fly blindly. ignoring people who could have helped you. Then you could come back on the forum and start a thread with the subject "Crashed my Mavic today because of a firmware update." And, of course, you'll get this response: "Why didn't you read the thread about the issues with the latest software?"

The ENTIRE point of this forum is to exchange experiences and knowledge to help others. By all means you should live your life by learning from the experiences of others, good or bad.

Reactions: Doug D
The ENTIRE point of this forum is to exchange experiences and knowledge to help others. By all means you should live your life by learning from the experiences of others, good or bad.
Well in that case I stay up to-date and have since I have had mine with 0 issues .
Other than ones I caused myself .

After all the blah, blah, blah in this post, there was actually some sound and astute advice.

But don't let people on the internet who may have more experience than you dictate what you do. I mean why would you want to avoid a possible glitch or cause software harm by listening to people who may have experienced it before you? Much smarter to take your $1,000.00+ investment and fly blindly. ignoring people who could have helped you. Then you could come back on the forum and start a thread with the subject "Crashed my Mavic today because of a firmware update." And, of course, you'll get this response: "Why didn't you read the thread about the issues with the latest software?"

I agree with everything you said. BUT, if you actually READ the threads ""Crashed my Mavic today because of a firmware update." You will be hard pressed to find one that wasn't later proved to be pilot error, or mechanical failure. That and a lot of those posts should read after they updated the GO 4 app, and NOT the firmware.

For the record, my MPP, RC, DJI goggles, and Go 4 app are all fully updated to the latest versions and I have no problem being reminded that I am 6" inside the 5-mile radius from John Wayne airport. :D

However, I also understand why some people choose not to update. And I'm never an early adopter - I always wait for the brave people on this forum to install the latest firmware first and give the all clear before I will install it myself. I learned that lesson the hard way. ;)

Well that sentence pretty much sums up why so many people decided to stay on firmware .0400 and .0700.

I am on .0400 and I never have an issue with flying. I can power up and fly no matter where I am, and I don't need DJI's permission to do so. I never get prompt for updates or to download new NFZ maps etc. It's a blast having a drone that you can take out and just fly and never have to worry that it will be grounded by the need for an update or the location you may be in and all my settings stay the same and I never have to worry about anything changing.

Rob
Same here, still on 400 w/ enough common sense to follow rules/laws.Thumbswayup

Last edited:
Reactions: Robbyg
I agree with everything you said. BUT, if you actually READ the threads ""Crashed my Mavic today because of a firmware update." You will be hard pressed to find one that wasn't later proved to be pilot error, or mechanical failure. That and a lot of those posts should read after they updated the GO 4 app, and NOT the firmware.

Dude I am not trying to get under your skin or anything but you seriously need to search this forum and learn the history of what has transpired over the last 16 months.

Yes there have been plenty of crashes due to DJI firmware updates that malfunctioned or due to settings that DJI changed the behavior of and decided not to inform the users when they released it. Almost half of DJI's releases have been done in order to fix problems that the previous release introduced.

DJI did not earn it's reputation for creating update fear for no reason at all. It's based on a lot of bad experiences. That is why so many people use to wait on others to install and test before updating. It became so bad that DJI decided to force them on you because most people just avoided doing them.

Rob

Last edited:
Well in that case I stay up to-date and have since I have had mine with 0 issues .
Other than ones I caused myself .

Dirkclod my friend, I still have not been able to seduce you over to the Dark side yet:p

Rob

Reactions: dirkclod
Dude I am not trying to get under your skin or anything but you seriously need to search this forum and learn the history of what has transpired over the last 16 months.

Yes there have been plenty of crashes due to DJI firmware updates that malfunctioned or due to settings that DJI changed the behavior of and decided not to inform the users when they released it. Almost half of DJI's releases have been done in order to fix problems that the previous release introduced.

DJI did not earn it's reputation for creating update fear for no reason at all. It's based on a lot of bad experiences. That is why so many people use to wait on others to install and test before updating. It became so bad that DJI decided to force them on you because most people just avoided doing them.

Rob

You are not under my skin my friend! I have read a TON here, I dont remember any threads that were proven to be firmware issues. I am not saying they dont exist, I am just saying they are as rare as hens teeth.
If they WERE as common as people try to lead others to believe, there would be threads with hundreds of people complaining about the same thing.
The only firmware threads I remember that even seem credible, are about Camera settings mostly. There are THOUSANDS of Mavics out there, the majority (I feel) are fully updated, yet every time a new update comes out, someone blames a crash on it. BUT the rest of us fly on with the SAME update with no issues. It all leads me to believe its is HARDWARE problems that have problems with SOFTWARE updates.

Dirkclod my friend, I still have not been able to seduce you over to the Dark side yet:p

Rob
Oh I have been in there and you know it .
IMG_9548.gif

ms-2iv1qi.gif

You are not under my skin my friend! I have read a TON here, I dont remember any threads that were proven to be firmware issues. I am not saying they dont exist, I am just saying they are as rare as hens teeth.

Then you might have missed the good ones like when DJI removed the stick up to abort Landing. A good deal of drones went into Davey Jones locker with that one. Funny thing is DJI did not even seem to know they removed it.
Then we have the numerous updates that involved the ever changing way the NFZ fencing would behave. Lots of drones just flew off into the sunset or auto landed in really bad locations. Then we have the "You cannot fly because your drone thinks it is in China Bug". Yeah that was a nice one for all the people who tried to take off indoors. Then you have the numerous updates that messed up peoples Gimbals and created nice tilted horizons.

Don't ever doubt that DJI updates have become infamous and feared for a very good reason and It's certainly not rare for them to screw up an update.

Rob

Reactions: kakao
Thank you Rob, you just helped me firm my recent decision to stay with my trusted .200.

I saw no issues nor experienced any problems in any segment of flying/controlling/recording department of my MP.

Thumbswayup

I agree with most people here that updating firmware is a good idea. That said, wait just a few days or a week to check if anyone has issues with it. DJI is notorious for rolling out less than perfect updates. In their defense they fix them quick but they don't do good beta testing first to squash bugs. Your done is more than just app that might crash on your phone, it could crash the done into someone, their property or just get damaged so do your homework and make an educated decision.

Now am I very upset with my mavic pro wich I updated to the latest firmware, both mavic and rc, since I did that, I received the gimbal overload notice, later the gimbal start knocking and making a crazy noise. according to what I have seen in youtube, I have to send the mavic for repair, and in my country (Cape Verde) we have no dji representation. I bought it from Amazon US, it is still under garantie.

What you should realize in the to update/not to update "debate" is that they are two equally valid approaches to operating your Mavic. One way is not intrinsically "better" than another - just different. Like many other decisions in life, there are pro and con reasons for deciding whether or not to update your firmware, and the choice is yours, not someone else's. What works for me may not work for you. What you like, I may not. What no one ever does is lay out the pros and cons for each path and with that information, let the user decide for themselves - instead of arguing that "my way is the best way". Recognizing that either route has its strengths and weaknesses at least arms the operator with complete knowledge, with which to make the best personal decision.

A while back, in another post, I attempted to outline the pluses and minuses of each option. Very little has changed since then. I'll include it here, with updated FW numbers, but the underlying information hasn't changed dramatically. Turn left at the fork in the road or turn right. The choice is yours. But at least you'll know what's down the road on either route:

Reasons to go up to most current FW (4.300): You want the new DJI Go app Quickshot modes (Dronie, etc) and Panorama capabilities; You need Dynamic Home Point for your Active Track mode; You need to feel "current"; You don't mind new potential bugs/problems introduced by firmware changes. You need/want compatibility with newer 3rd party apps (Like Hangar 360, Autopilot, etc). You don't mind needing to pass a drone use test put out by DJI. You don't mind being forced to sign in to a DJI account or update your firmware (or wait for that update to complete) in order to use your Mavic - sometimes at the most inopportune time.

Reasons to move to 3.700: You need support for the DJI Goggles; You want to use Fixed-Wing mode; You want to use Dual Remote Controller; You want to be able to turn off the remote controller low battery level warning; You don't want to have to remain logged in to your DJI account in order to fly.

Reasons to stay at/rollback to 3.400: Your Mavic works perfectly fine and you don't need/want the newest app functions; You don't want to be restricted by NFZs, You want to change your Mavic's flight parameters at will; You don't like DJI controlling the abilities of your Mavic.

Reasons to rollback to 3.700 with added mixed modules: You want the new DJI Go app Quickshot modes (Dronie, etc) and Panorama capabilities; You need/want compatibility with newer 3rd party apps. You don't want to be restricted by NFZs. You want to change your Mavic's flight parameters at will; You don't like DJI controlling the abilities of your Mavic. This is the best of both worlds (like going left and right down the road) - but with the caveat that it takes a bit of knowledge on how to rollback your FW and how to mess with FW modules. If you don't want the added effort of learning a new skill, then either update or don't and don't worry about messing with the FW modules. Like "jailbreaking" your phone, it's not difficult but it's also not for the casual user.

Finally, the features of .400 are included in the features of .700 (no NFZ restrictions, ability to change your flight parameters), but with the added features of .700 on top of them Personally, I like the new Quickshot modes so I have all my Mavics on .700 with mixed modules ( and .700 instead of .400 - to use with the Goggles).

The app is not the big difference. It's the firmware. Even with an updated app, you don't have the new features without the firmware update. Even with the new app, you don't have the restrictions of the newest firmware, though you get warnings. There's been no real beneficial upgrades to the newer app versions (without the concurrent firmware upgrades), though there have been a number of decent tweaks.

Last edited:
Lisadoc, did you finished? You have nothing else to teach us? I will be awayting for furter explanations. Thank you

Based on lisadocs detailed ( "unbiased" :D ) post about plus and minus's in firmware releases,
I am going out on a limb and saying Lisadoc is NOT an updater.

Reactions: Johann-Mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000