DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

firmware update?

jljbtm

Reactions
The last time I flew the mavic pro was last summer and I remember being afraid of making any updates because I read some updates were not good. I took it out of the closet yesterday charged up one of the batteries took it outside and right away it wanted to update airport list which I did and then it asked to update the firmware which I did not. I wanted to find out from some of you guys your thoughts on updating the software. My biggest fears and why I put it away last year was because of the fear of it flying away and I realize I can't do that any longer I need to use it so any help on making current updates is appreciated.
Jack

Do you let the internet dictate anything else in the way you do things, or how you live your life? A fundamental truth about the web; the vast majority of people who post have some kind of problem. For every one that complains, how many are completely happy, have had zero issues with updates? A thousand? The thousand, a hundred thousand? Guaranteed it’s orders of magnitude more than the ones with trouble, or DJI would be out of business, not controlling 70% of the market. Update the firmware. Do it whenever they suggest you do. You’ll get better performance and more features overall. I’ll bet you, too that you won’t have a single problem. I have over a year and nearly 170 hours on my Mavic, and I’ve never had a dropped connection, a gimbal/camera malfunction, nothing...like the vast, vast majority of people. The odd time there may be a hiccup with an update, and they fix it as fast as they possibly can. It would be incredibly foolish not to...it would cost them thousands of customers. It makes ZERO sense not to take advantage of improvements to the tech

Whenever there is a firmware update, do it if not you won’t get a chance to fly it, so far as for me flying over 110 hours over a year, no issue of the drone flying away, yes I have that fear too but before fly, always always do a pre check all in order like a pilot b fire takeoff, 2nd most important issue, be sure to wait a minute or 2 for the drone to fix a Home Point b fire flight, then you are good to go, as always just to be sure, I just fly a short distance, then press the RTH just to be sure it knows how to get home, once done, just enjoy your flying but never fly way too far as precautionary measure.

I've never had an issue with the firmware updates but the DJI GO4 updates have had some issues but are usually fixed in the next update. As Ramakristan said, I always do a precheck first and then do a short flight close at hand to see it goes.

Reactions: Ramakristan
Just updated DJI GO4 firmware, all
Good to go but remember to pre check flight & stay Line Of Sight Of your Drone ( LOS ) as another precautionary measure.
Another thing to fly near forests, beware of eagles or falcons, they are very territorial & will defense their space, quickly fly back to a safer zone, even a crow will sometimes circle around before attacking, other than that, enjoy your flight.

From what I've read at this forum, the latest update ending with .300 caused a lot of problems to many.
I'm still at .200 with no issues.

Reactions: Doug D
The fact that .300 does not even touch the main system at all and only uldates the camera tells you all you need to know about those "caused problems to many" reports.

I've been installing all new Mavic updates too. Like the majority of other Mavic owners, all went well for me too.

Reactions: ksmusa and dirkclod
Just updated DJI GO4 firmware, all
Good to go but remember to pre check flight & stay Line Of Sight Of your Drone ( LOS ) as another precautionary measure.
Another thing to fly near forests, beware of eagles or falcons, they are very territorial & will defense their space, quickly fly back to a safer zone, even a crow will sometimes circle around before attacking, other than that, enjoy your flight.

GO 4 is not a FW......did you mean GO 4 and FW?

I generally do all the updates as soon as I see they are available. But, with these updates, I do always recheck all my previous settings as they have changed and I didn’t want to think my camera settings or any other settings were different than my expectations. Kinda like going through a precheck before leaving the gate

Whenever there is a firmware update, do it if not you won’t get a chance to fly it,

Well that sentence pretty much sums up why so many people decided to stay on firmware .0400 and .0700.

I am on .0400 and I never have an issue with flying. I can power up and fly no matter where I am, and I don't need DJI's permission to do so. I never get prompt for updates or to download new NFZ maps etc. It's a blast having a drone that you can take out and just fly and never have to worry that it will be grounded by the need for an update or the location you may be in, and all my settings stay the same and I never have to worry about anything changing.

Rob

Last edited:
Well that sentence pretty much sums up why so many people decided to stay on firmware .0400 and .0700.

I am on .0400 and I never have an issue with flying. I can power up and fly no matter where I am, and I don't need DJI's permission to do so. I never get prompt for updates or to download new NFZ maps etc. It's a blast having a drone that you can take out and just fly and never have to worry that it will be grounded by the need for an update or the location you may be in and all my settings stay the same and I never have to worry about anything changing.

Rob
So you want to fly where you are not supposed to, and you dont even want to know when you are doing it? Seems like a weak argument to me. Besides the fact that people that do that have an effect on people that dont.
I hope you dont get mixed up with any other aircraft.
I would start a special savings account for FAA fines If I were you. Since it seems like they start in the 5 figure range and up.

So you want to fly where you are not supposed to, and you dont even want to know when you are doing it? Seems like a weak argument to me. Besides the fact that people that do that have an effect on people that dont.
I would start a special savings account for FAA fines If I were you. Since it seems like they start in the 5 figure range and up.

Would you buy a car if it had a speed limiter installed in it that never allowed you to violate the posted speed limit?
Does the fact that your current car does not have such a speed limiter mean that you drive around everywhere at 120MPH, and that you should start a special savings account to pay for all your speeding tickets?

I have enough sense to know where I can fly from where I cannot. There are plenty of other of sources for NFZ than DJI half baked databases. I been flying my Mavic Pro probably long before you got yours and I have not had one problem or incident that broke any laws. That's how it was for the last 25 years. Do you think what your doing is new? People like me have been sticking cameras on RC planes and flying out for miles and returning. We never had a problem until easy to fly devices like the Phantom came on the market.

Last edited:
Just commenting on how you defend not updating.... Still seems like a weak argument.
But OF COURSE, you are free to do whatever you want no matter what others think of it. Yey America!

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Would you buy a car if it had a speed limiter installed in it that never allowed you to violate the posted speed limit?
Does the fact that your current car does not have such a speed limiter mean that you drive around everywhere at 120MPH, and that you should start a special savings account to pay for all your speeding tickets?

Or better yet in the case of DJI they sell you a car that can go to 200 MPH and then a few months later send an update that limits it to 80MPH. I guess he is new so he does not know the history of how he got in his cage. He just accepts it and waits for his Chinese masters to throw him a new treat every now and then.

Rob

OK, Now you are stretching.
Not my point at all. My point is just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.
To your speed limit analogy, YES I would buy a car that REMINDED me of the speed limit if I was speeding. I would actually prefer that! BUT, Flying with all the NFZ notifications blocked, is like driving where someone has pulled up all the speed limit signs, SO having my car remind me where the speed zones are is a HUGE PLUS.

That is more to the point than your attempt to dispute my comments.

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi