DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First 4k flight -27ºC - glitches in video

I was on a distance run today had the video set to 4k 24f - and it had been recording for a while and then i got an error after about 13 mins of recording - SD error scrolled along the rc controller... - when I looked at the phone - i could see an error being displayed that the sd card was too slow...
so looks like you have a visual warning - also perhaps a long recording session - fills up some cache perhaps when writing to the card...
(it was a 16 GB class 10 card from Panasonic)

Operating low temp per the manual is 0c. I think the issues are simply that it's too cold.

I flew mine in -15C in Ottawa region last week and felt worried but all went well. Thx for sharing guys. I am new at this and now feel more comfortable taking it into the cold. I am a little worried about condensation when warming up so I decided not to warm up the car before driving back home or bringing the drone from freezing temp to warm inside. Instead I gradually warm it up along withe in car or transition it from outside to garage to indoors. Don't want moisture to get trapped inside the drone
Am I over thinking this guy's???

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using MavicPilots mobile app

Located in Alberta Canada, and have been shooting in down to -20 temps. This video was shot in -15C roughly... As well there was high wind warnings almost the entire time this video was being shot as they were roughly 20-30mph and it handled it like a champ!

Breathtaking scenery and some great shots. I would be careful using copyrighted music. Odds are in your favor but you are exposing yourself for liability.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Class is an older rating system that only means the card will transfer data at a minimum 10 mbps which is way too slow for today's high resolution cameras. UHS is the rating that counts now with the latest being UHS 3. For 4K recording your card should do at least 30 mbps write. There are UHS 1 cards that will write at these higher speeds but UHS 3 ensures it can handle 2,7 and 4k. The Kingston card supplied with the Mavic is UHS 1 but it benchmarks at 43 mbps write and 85 mbps read.

Speed Class - SD Association

When choosing a microsd card, read the specs for that particular card. Many even within the same brand look similar but have wildly varying read and write speeds. For example, I have a 32gb Kingston card that looks identical to the card that comes with the Mavic, it's also UHS 1 but it's only benchmarking at 40 mbps read and 12 mbps write.

Make sure the specs show the read and write speeds separately and in mbps, not iops.

I've been using the Sandisk Extreme Pro, Plus or Ultra cards in my Gopros which do 2.7k, 60 FPS and 4k, 30 FPS and they've worked well for me. But again, read the specs because there are still some older Sandisk Extreme's floating around that aren't fast enough for 4k/2.7k.

Bottom line, don't cheap out the SD cards or you could risk losing that once in a lifetime shot.

Reactions: HTXflyer
Merry Christmas everyone!

First flight with the mavic today. -27ºC here. Here's the video:

I put the drone outside and had it acclimatize to the cold, while keeping battery warm inside. The gimbal was excellent in the cold, no vibrations but there is some glitching in the video every once in a while. Anyone know what might be causing this? The cold? Or is it the 4k and my memory card maybe not fast enough?
Very nice! Reflections from the snow look like a million diamonds. Happy flying in '17…

Reactions: Darryl
Merry Christmas everyone!

First flight with the mavic today. -27ºC here. Here's the video:

I put the drone outside and had it acclimatize to the cold, while keeping battery warm inside. The gimbal was excellent in the cold, no vibrations but there is some glitching in the video every once in a while. Anyone know what might be causing this? The cold? Or is it the 4k and my memory card maybe not fast enough?

Did you manage to get the glitches sorted? I'm experiencing similar glitching in my videos:

A reoccurring theme seems to be the cold however not all my videos glitch like this and there are plenty of videos on YouTube of people flying their drones in the cold with perfect footage.

Did you manage to get the glitches sorted? I'm experiencing similar glitching in my videos:

A reoccurring theme seems to be the cold however not all my videos glitch like this and there are plenty of videos on YouTube of people flying their drones in the cold with perfect footage.
The firmware that came out on Dec. 26, 2016 fixed all the glitching! I've flown now in -29ºC and there is no glitches or jello. Yours seems quite bad, have you tried resetting camera, IMU. I had uneven focus on mine, blurry on the right side, talked to dji today, reset everything and now no more blurry image on right side of screen. You should definitely update your firmware to most recent if you haven't. It for sure fixed the glitches for me in the cold flying.

At the end of this video I have footage in the cold, it's super solid now.

Thanks for the replies. I'm on the latest firmware. I will try resetting everything and check again tomorrow. So strange that resetting things would fix a video problem like this?

Thanks for the replies. I'm on the latest firmware. I will try resetting everything and check again tomorrow. So strange that resetting things would fix a video problem like this?
I'd rather try resetting everything before sending it into DJI. Never know how long that will take.

Very true, thank you for the help.

Edit: Just to say thank you for the advice, resetting everything seems to have sorted the issue!

Last edited:
I am but fortunately there is a lot of the Rockies that are not in the parks so:) Man and Drone on youtube has some amazing Parks footage.

hello! May I ask how to determine if the area is still part of a national park? I am here in alberta and I am worried about where to fly my drone. Was gona fly it over the lake louise but I have been told I cannot do so as it is prohibited.

thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato