DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First crash and surprise recovery of M2Pro with Arris Raptor 2 Skid

m chaussettes

Reactions
I originally posted this video in the Pro-2 section but, since there has been a further development I thought I would post it here as it applies to both the Zoom and Pro and possibly others.

Two days ago I was shooting my son on his Segway flying backward about 25 feet AGL. The drone was flying... not the Segway. I hit some small branches which knocked the drone out of the sky.
As it fell it righted itself, not hitting the ground and then hovered. I had a broken blade and broke one of the attachments for my extension landing gear. Picture here:

20190319_150711.jpg

I was surprised that it didn't just slam into the ground. Video here:

I contacted the manufacturer of the landing/float skid. I actually had forgotten where I got it. I ordered this thing about 6 months ago when I got my Pro-2. I purchased the drone because I want to do an aerial documentary of the New Jersey Meadowlands.
I have been an instrument rated pilot for the past 26 years and an occasional airplane owner. I have also worked in film/video production my entire adult life and I have been making photographs since the age of 9. Gerard Exupery is my
photo website if you have an interest. I've owned a lot of expensive gear and I take care of my stuff... or should I say the bank owned it and let me take care of it.

I have never flown a drone before this purchase. I wanted to get some practice flying in out in the Meadowlands before I actually start shooting this spring. I saw the Arris Raptor 2 Skid and Floats:
made by
https://www.irepairmd.com/

At that time I ordered it because I was certain I would dump the rig into the water eventually. I haven't yet. I always fly with the skids on because they raise the camera thus avoiding scratching up the lens and head unit when landing.

So to get to the point, I sent an email to the company with photos explaining what happened. I got an email back asking me to call. So I did. I spoke with the owner who asked me whether the drone had righted itself. And he asked me to detail a little further what
exactly happened when the drone hit the tree. He asked me to confirm the damage: A blade and the cup that positions one of the skid legs.

He then told me that the skid design is meant to right the drone once it loses stability. It also is meant to protect the drone legs by making them more rigid and transferring the force of the impact to the skid instead of the leg... AND prevent the legs from folding in the impact
thus preventing the drone from flying into pieces. I told him he should really mention that in his YouTube videos.

I mean the fact that it protects the lens and camera and the floats make it... well float, is reason enough to have the thing. The fact that it protects the drone during an impact and will right the drone as it falls is also reason enough to buy it.
I thought I was just lucky... turns out it was more than luck.

So they are sending me the damaged part as well as the other skids cup just in case. No charge. I forgot there was a lifetime warranty.

When a product is good AND the service from a company is very good especially a small business in a niche market, I believe it is worth mentioning to anyone who will listen.
I was so impressed with the experience that I decided to write this long-winded post. If you are in the market, check this thing out and visit the website.

Last edited:
I originally posted this video in the Pro-2 section but, since there has been a further development I thought I would post it here as it applies to both the Zoom and Pro and possibly others.

Two days ago I was shooting my son on his Segway flying backward about 25 feet AGL. The drone was flying... not the Segway. I hit some small branches which knocked the drone out of the sky.
As it fell it righted itself, not hitting the ground and then hovered. I had a broken blade and broke one of the attachments for my extension landing gear. Picture here:

View attachment 66799

I contacted the manufacturer of the landing/float skid. I actually had forgotten where I got it. I ordered this thing about 6 months ago when I got my Pro-2. I purchased the drone because I want to do an aerial documentary of the New Jersey Meadowlands.
I have been an instrument rated pilot for the past 26 years and an occasional airplane owner. I have also worked in film/video production my entire adult life and I have been making photographs since the age of 9. Gerard Exupery is my
photo website if you have an interest. I've owned a lot of expensive gear and I take care of my stuff... or should I say the bank owned it and let me take care of it.

I have never flown a drone before this purchase. I wanted to get some practice flying in out in the Meadowlands before I actually start shooting this spring. I saw the Arris Raptor 2 Skid and Floats:
made by

At that time I ordered it because I was certain I would dump the rig into the water eventually. I haven't yet. I always fly with the skids on because they raise the camera thus avoiding scratching up the lens and head unit when landing.

So to get to the point, I sent an email to the company with photos explaining what happened. I got an email back asking me to call. So I did. I spoke with the owner who asked me whether the drone had righted itself. And he asked me to detail a little further what
exactly happened when the drone hit the tree. He asked me to confirm the damage: A blade and the cup that positions one of the skid legs.

He then told me that the skid design is meant to right the drone once it loses stability. It also is meant to protect the drone legs by making them more rigid and transferring the force of the impact to the skid instead of the leg... AND prevent the legs from folding in the impact
thus preventing the drone from flying into pieces. I told him he should really mention that in his YouTube videos.

I mean the fact that it protects the lens and camera and the floats make it... well float, is reason enough to have the thing. The fact that it protects the drone during an impact and will right the drone as it falls is also reason enough to buy it.

So they are sending me the damaged part as well as the other skids cup just in case. No charge. I forgot there was a lifetime warranty.

When a product is good AND the service from a company is very good especially a small business in a niche market, I believe it is worth mentioning to anyone who will listen.
I was so impressed with the experience that I decided to write this long-winded post. If you are in the market, check this thing out and visit the website.
Glad to here it, not your crash but the company explanation and backing of their product/warranty. I have these also.

Reactions: TR Ganey
Glad to here it, not your crash but the company explanation and backing of their product/warranty. I have these also.
If you really look at the thing and know the design story/benefits it actually is engineered incredibly well. My son is going into his 4th year at Rutgers in Electrical Engineering and I think that probably has made me a lot more aware of design and incredible tech in these small aircraft we are priviledge to fly.

Reactions: Thomas B
I have three sets of landing gear...PYG, Polar Pro and Arris Raptor 2. By Far, I like the Arris Raptor 2 the best. I would highly recommend them.

Reactions: Madmax229

View attachment 66799

made by

they made another sale from this interesting post... I am buying.... thanks

$118 with the pool noodle pontoons. A little expensive.

I’Il bet the OP thinks they’re a bargain now. Only has to save your Mavic once...

I fly over water a lot, I am heading over to their website now, too.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
While I agree some sort of flotation system is desirable if you fly over water a lot, the foam noodles are available for much less moola. And don't forget, if your drone goes down and ends up bobbing on the surface, you still have to get to it to effect a recovery.

I wonder if Sea Tow/Boat U.S. would respond? (I'm only half-kidding.)

While I agree some sort of flotation system is desirable if you fly over water a lot, the foam noodles are available for much less moola. ....
I agree there are several systems for half the cost.
The reasons I chose the Raptor were the much wider stance (= stability) than other brands and the ability to remove the floats and use as extended landing gear. I did not see another brand with these 2 characteristics and some have been demonstrated incapable of actuall keeping a drone out of the water. I am also sure that if the water is not calm or there is a crash they will only serve to recover the hulk.

While I agree some sort of flotation system is desirable if you fly over water a lot, the foam noodles are available for much less moola. And don't forget, if your drone goes down and ends up bobbing on the surface, you still have to get to it to effect a recovery.

I wonder if Sea Tow/Boat U.S. would respond? (I'm only half-kidding.)
There is also the fact that the legs stop the arms from folding in a crash and absorb the impact, as well as they, make the drone right itself in an upset.

I doubt that if your drone hits the water inverted the pontoons will right it.

Reactions: Thomas B
I doubt that if your drone hits the water inverted the pontoons will right it.
Agreed but they will be visible. Important if one is just looking for the carcass so they can activate DJI Care Refresh. And, if the worst has happened at least the skids will prevent the arms from being torn off and also cause the a/c to right itself thus giving the floats a better chance of minimizing water damage

There is also the fact that the legs stop the arms from folding in a crash and absorb the impact, as well as they, make the drone right itself in an upset.

This alone is more of an incentive to use the product than the flotation capability in my eyes ... now to find an Australian stockist ... it'll probably be $200 here

Regards
Ari

This alone is more of an incentive to use the product than the flotation capability in my eyes ... now to find an Australian stockist ... it'll probably be $200 here

Regards
Ari

The guy was really easy to talk to. I would drop him a line.

Wow after reading your post about the skids I am definitely going to buy them....

I thought of using them on a sailboat to retrieve the drone in flight by taking it from the skates a bit like it was done with the phantom. What do you think about it?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu