DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First crash

electricpomme

Reactions
Had my first crash today got a bit too confident and decided to put my mavic into sport mode 7 meters high and thought i would fly round the back of a tree in my local park. I was flying line of site and misjudged my perception of distance and slammed into the top of the tree. After realising my stupid decision to fly round the tree failed i had the difficult task of trying to get it back as it hung from the top branches. Unable to reach it or shake it down i went home got hell from my neighbour. A step ladder and some poles from a gazebo i managed to climb the tree about 3 m up risking breaking my neck as the recent rain had made the bark slippy. Getting the poles i managed to get the mavic to fall to a lower branch but still out of reach but could just push it with a pole so it could fall into my neighbours hands below. Other than the props there was surprisingly no damage and test flew it ok.
Just wondering what you guys do to retrieve drones from the top of trees, do you have any safe methods [emoji1]

Bannana here, bannana there, Maybe some tiny diapers..... Might be worth checking into!

Reactions: Former Member
At the local library construction project they had an accordion-necked bucketlift, mounted on a set of the mini excavator tracks, It easily reached 30 feet.
I think they're only $500 a day to rent...
And probably $425 for one hour. :)

Mike

Reactions: Cuervo
Find a friend with another Mavic and some sense of adventure. Rig a long hook to that Mavic and get it out of the tree without having both Mavics join each other. ...and no it's not a joke, others have actually done that successfully.

Reactions: marcosvc and Cuervo
Find a friend with another Mavic and some sense of adventure. Rig a long hook to that Mavic and get it out of the tree without having both Mavics join each other. ...and no it's not a joke, others have actually done that successfully.

This is an approach I considered, even to the point of experimenting here in the yard with varying lengths of line, style of hook and perhaps a small weight such as is used on cranes and skyhooks. With practice I believe it's possible to become adept enough to perform aerial retrievals. It would also show how much deadlift a Mavic is capable of.

I do carry a an extension stick. Actually used it to knock a Spark out of a oak tree. But it's a challenge to use one if the quad is further than about about 40 feet up.

Until you have 2 mavics stuck in the same tree. Look for a 3rd Mavic and a better pilot?

if ya got a small crank organ it could earn it's money and entertain at the same time.
Just like my great great grandfather, Pablo.

monkey_organ_grinder_LOC.jpg

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez