DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First crash

If non of the above is feasible, then one would have two choices:
-buy a new drone
-get bucket truck, scissors lift, or any kind of machinery that can do the job

And choose the cheapest

Son got his stuck 54 feet up in a palm tree. Telescoping pool cleaning pole, attached to 2 telescoping shrimp nets got me there and included a net for it to fall gently into. Neighbors were out watching and laughing! Actually could have gone another 6 feet higher!

We all have a tree story.
Never a good thing.
I backed into a Maple tree (and..where are the 'eyes in the back of my head')?
If you are still connected and functional.....just bite the $$ bullet and turn your drone into and expensive leaf mulcher.
This has worked twice for me (some fools never learn!)...but.....you will be buying props, gimbal mounts and small parts that it flings off.
I do not recommend it!!!....but it has worked.
Otherwise...here in Oregon...we just cut the tree down (if we own the tree)....
And if we don't own it...
Start saving up for another Mavic .

I’m a troubleman for the power company. I get to take my bucket truck home with me :D

Reactions: Former Member
Chimney sweepers have thread-together fiberglass poles that can get longer until you can't hold it up any longer.
Just a thought...
personally...
I like the Monkey idea!!

Had my first crash today got a bit too confident and decided to put my mavic into sport mode 7 meters high and thought i would fly round the back of a tree in my local park. I was flying line of site and misjudged my perception of distance and slammed into the top of the tree. After realising my stupid decision to fly round the tree failed i had the difficult task of trying to get it back as it hung from the top branches. Unable to reach it or shake it down i went home got **** from my neighbour. A step ladder and some poles from a gazebo i managed to climb the tree about 3 m up risking breaking my neck as the recent rain had made the bark slippy. Getting the poles i managed to get the mavic to fall to a lower branch but still out of reach but could just push it with a pole so it could fall into my neighbours hands below. Other than the props there was surprisingly no damage and test flew it ok.
Just wondering what you guys do to retrieve drones from the top of trees, do you have any safe methods [emoji1]
I recently got my tello stuck in the top of a 50ft tree i fashioned a small basket out of a wire hanger (Eventhough it was small it was still very difficult to maneuver through the branches) think it was a 25ft telescoping pole. I made my 11 year old son (who climbs like a white hairless monkey) climb up the tree to the highest safe spot (the last safe spot)and handed the pole up to him. The basket did nothing but make it harder so he took it off and poked the entangled tello until it feel and I managed to catch it and other then leaf green stains, scratches and one prop missing it was fine. I'm glad yours surged out the same.n

Had my first crash today got a bit too confident and decided to put my mavic into sport mode 7 meters high and thought i would fly round the back of a tree in my local park. I was flying line of site and misjudged my perception of distance and slammed into the top of the tree. After realising my stupid decision to fly round the tree failed i had the difficult task of trying to get it back as it hung from the top branches. Unable to reach it or shake it down i went home got **** from my neighbour. A step ladder and some poles from a gazebo i managed to climb the tree about 3 m up risking breaking my neck as the recent rain had made the bark slippy. Getting the poles i managed to get the mavic to fall to a lower branch but still out of reach but could just push it with a pole so it could fall into my neighbours hands below. Other than the props there was surprisingly no damage and test flew it ok.
Just wondering what you guys do to retrieve drones from the top of trees, do you have any safe methods [emoji1]
Yeah, bucketlift sounds like it, we call them 'cherrypickers' Find a Utilities guy with a cherrypicker, and tempt him with a LARGE box of beers

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King