DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First flight (in backyard in beginner's mode)

mcoulter

Reactions
Nothing fancy, but it sure was fun. Compared to the little electric RC airplanes I have flown in the past, this was soooo easy and relaxing :) This is especially relevant given the winds we had this morning. I kept it low and slow and did well (I think anyway)

Nice? When I first started watching I thought the gimbal had a problem (angle) until I could see your garden was on a hill?

Reactions: SandiSCE
I'm about 3 weeks ahead of you with a Mavic Pro. My approach is to get lots of time in the air in a small space, gradually going further and higher, special emphasis on preflight checks (blades tight, etc), and then working hard to understand all those flight modes, what they do, how to turn them OFF in a hurry (go Sport mode), and so on.

I really like the colors in your video. I'm using 'D-Cinelike' and 1080/30 as my video settings, and but yours looks much better than mine. What settings are you using?

Good start. Congrats!
When I got my first Mavic I stayed in beginner mode for about a month of daily flights. Controls need to be second nature. Remember that the “pause” button is your friend when things get confusing to you only second in importance to the RTH button.

nice back yard you lucky fellow glad you kept it low the wind looked quite strong good job

Nice job it looks like you’re a thumber not a pincher

Before you know it you will be pushing Line of Sight. Its addicting for sure!

I remember when I was a "virgin" and my first flight. I really felt an accomplishment! Congratulations!

Thanks for the kind words everyone :) A few follow-ups and questions...

Is there a preferred technique between being a "thumber" and "pincher"?

I will have to go back and check settings for the video, but I think I set the white balance to daylight, the color was one of the presets - sorry I don't recall...outdoors? And the resolution 1080 at 24 frames per second.

Oh, and yes, my yard is mostly on a hill!

Thanks for the kind words everyone :) A few follow-ups and questions...

Is there a preferred technique between being a "thumber" and "pincher"?

I will have to go back and check settings for the video, but I think I set the white balance to daylight, the color was one of the presets - sorry I don't recall...outdoors? And the resolution 1080 at 24 frames per second.

Oh, and yes, my yard is mostly on a hill!
Before you know it you will be pushing Line of Sight. Its addicting for sure!

I remember when I was a "virgin" and my first flight. I really felt an accomplishment! Congratulations!
that is for sure The line of sight is about 350 feet you’ll definitely want to exceed that eventually

Pinching feels more natural to me but its all a mater of personal preference

Nice flying there partner. ?
I have been flying drones quite a few years now and still enjoy flying my Mavic Air in the backyard. It is nowhere near the size of your backyard but it’s fun to work on my maneuvering skills.
I don’t always have to fly it so far away that it’s a little black dot for me to enjoy it.

That’s half the fun I have almost mastered flying it backwards

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky