DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Flight Lasted 6 Seconds and Crashed

Ill do it tomorrow, winds have picked up a little and I don't want any other complications. What if this happened like 100 ft up or over water? Not really instilling the most confidence in me.
We will never know, and that's probably the best thing.

Hey Guys,

I took my mavic out this morning just to get it in the air for the first time in front of my house. I took off and it immediately started spinning fast and out of control with no stick input so I shut the motors off and it crashed. I had 14 satellites and was flying in beginner mode. Controller had no indication of any errors and I checked everything before it started up. I see the flight record on my DJI Go app and want to post it here to see if anyone could help me out but I am not sure how to do it. I tried looking at DJI Assistant but when I load the file there is no info. It is also 900MB. Can anyone help me out, I need to use this for a job and am scared to take it out again.

Thanks
This looks a lot like a propulsion issue. Either a broken prop or a defective motor/ESC. It was spinning at about 2 rotations/sec and doing a lot of rolling and pitching. Usually what you see with a propulsion issue.
upload_2017-3-15_13-1-56.png
If you wanna know for sure you'll have to provide the .DAT. 900 MB is way too large for this short flight. Try looking here for info on how to retrieve the .DAT. There is a paragraph on picking the right .DAT. You'll need to Dropbox it and provide a link. Just provide the 900 MB .DAT if you have to.

Hey Guys,

I took my mavic out this morning just to get it in the air for the first time in front of my house. I took off and it immediately started spinning fast and out of control with no stick input so I shut the motors off and it crashed. I had 14 satellites and was flying in beginner mode. Controller had no indication of any errors and I checked everything before it started up. I see the flight record on my DJI Go app and want to post it here to see if anyone could help me out but I am not sure how to do it. I tried looking at DJI Assistant but when I load the file there is no info. It is also 900MB. Can anyone help me out, I need to use this for a job and am scared to take it out again.

Thanks
Try to re calibrate the IMU and compass's in a different spot, away from any metal, on the ground and use a lazy susan making sure it is level(use your phone with a bubble level app). and re calibrate the quad. Don't forget to put out your antennas.

You may have installed the propellers wrong. Did you match the prop markings with the motors? There are white rings on two of the props, and two of the motors.

You may have installed the propellers wrong. Did you match the prop markings with the motors? There are white rings on two of the props, and two of the motors.
It's literally impossible to do that. Propellor installation is idiot proof.

It's literally impossible to do that. Propellor installation is idiot proof.

Considering the fact that the only thing distinguishes the propellers are the white rings, and the fact that the slots are exactly the same, it's quite possible that the props are installed wrong.

Considering the fact that the only thing distinguishes the propellers are the white rings, and the fact that the slots are exactly the same, it's quite possible that the props are installed wrong.
That's also not true. When I first setup the Mavic, I accidentally tried to put a white ringed prop on a black motor, and failed. The prop wouldn't lock in to the motor and just popped back off when I let go.

It's physically impossible to attach the props on the wrong motors. The props will not lock onto the wrong motors.

Try it ........... go take your props off and try to install them on the wrong motors. It's not "quite possible" as you say , it's impossible , physically it can't be done.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
So why do you think it happened? It seems like there weren't any errors, but it just strarted spinning for no reason. It was spinning in a pretty tight circular pattern so it wasn't just spinning it was moving up and down and sideways. Really weird without any inputs. I'm honestly too spooked to try it again.
Its called toilet bowling and it usually happens when the compass calibrations conflict wth the GPS calibrations. The flight controller then tries to average out the readings between the two.... Hence the circular movements with no control in put. Has happened to me before with. 3DR ARDU flight controller unit. Do ur compass calibrations and you shud be good to go

The quad will not fly with the props installed wrong
This looks a lot like a propulsion issue. Either a broken prop or a defective motor/ESC. It was spinning at about 2 rotations/sec and doing a lot of rolling and pitching. Usually what you see with a propulsion issue.
View attachment 8590
If you wanna know for sure you'll have to provide the .DAT. 900 MB is way too large for this short flight. Try looking here for info on how to retrieve the .DAT. There is a paragraph on picking the right .DAT. You'll need to Dropbox it and provide a link. Just provide the 900 MB .DAT if you have to.

Did you have it sitting on the ground level when you turned on the drone?

Its called toilet bowling and it usually happens when the compass calibrations conflict wth the GPS calibrations. The flight controller then tries to average out the readings between the two.... Hence the circular movements with no control in put. Has happened to me before with. 3DR ARDU flight controller unit. Do ur compass calibrations and you shud be good to go

With the MP spinning at 2 RPM, I'd say that's more of a blender effect than a toilet bowl effect.

View attachment 8590

I'll get the whole .dat to everyone later. Ive been busy. I havent had the chance to recalibrate or try anything else either. Can you tell which prop it was? When it crashed a single prop was kicked off upon impact. I wonder if it was that one. Visibly all props have the same amount of damage though so it is hard to tell.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
Not having tried it myself, I was quick to jump to conclusion. Turns out white props can't lock in to black motors, and vice versa. Sorry, guys. I'm an idiot.

Reactions: k3vnnyork
I'll get the whole .dat to everyone later. Ive been busy. I havent had the chance to recalibrate or try anything else either. Can you tell which prop it was? When it crashed a single prop was kicked off upon impact. I wonder if it was that one. Visibly all props have the same amount of damage though so it is hard to tell.
It would be much better to have the .DAT in order to determine which prop/esc had the issue. Never the less it seems that it was the rightBack that lost propulsion. Since the rotation was clockwise that means it was either the rightBack or leftFront that lost propulsion. And, since the instability started with a positive roll and positive pitch that points to the rightBack as the culprit.
upload_2017-3-15_13-1-56-png.8590

I can't seem to get any info off the drone now. Flight Data and Black Box don't have anything in them. However when I go to the Data Upload tab it shows 16 different records. Can I get the .dat from there?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J