DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Flight Minor Crash - How to Force Land?

swright

Reactions
Welp, I'm sad to say my first 2 minute flight with my MP was unsuccessful. I read the manuals and watched a few videos before taking off, but after I returned to home and tried to land, a notice came up saying "not suitable for landing." I tried doing it manually with the left stick but the drone did not want to go any lower than about 4ft.

I thought it was because it was getting dark outside, so I turn on the light on my front porch and tried landing it there. No good. The propellers scraped against my front window and the drone fell to the ground. The aircraft is okay, but there was minor scratching on the propellers. The drone was face-up (see photo)

Some things I may have done wrong:

1. It was too dark outside. It was about 6:45pm.
2. The gimbal was pointing forward, not towards the ground. At the time I do not know how to move the gimbal while flying.
3. It was slightly windy.
4. I do not have a landing pad. I am planning on ordering one along with a bag this weekend.

Has anyone encountered a situation where your drone did not want to land, so you had to try some other type of force-landing process? I believe safely landing your drone is the most important part of every flight.

22a744c802c3ecc36e4f03c492bed2e1.jpg

Not trying to rain on your parade,you said very important to know how to safely land,you sure didn;t study enough to fly your mavic.You had it on return to home?To over ride the not landing you cancel RTH then land manually

Welp, I'm sad to say my first 2 minute flight with my MP was unsuccessful. I read the manuals and watched a few videos before taking off, but after I returned to home and tried to land, a notice came up saying "not suitable for landing." I tried doing it manually with the left stick but the drone did not want to go any lower than about 4ft.

I thought it was because it was getting dark outside, so I turn on the light on my front porch and tried landing it there. No good. The propellers scraped against my front window and the drone fell to the ground. The aircraft is okay, but there was minor scratching on the propellers. The drone was face-up (see photo)

Some things I may have done wrong:

1. It was too dark outside. It was about 6:45pm.
2. The gimbal was pointing forward, not towards the ground. At the time I do not know how to move the gimbal while flying.
3. It was slightly windy.
4. I do not have a landing pad. I am planning on ordering one along with a bag this weekend.

Has anyone encountered a situation where your drone did not want to land, so you had to try some other type of force-landing process? I believe safely landing your drone is the most important part of every flight.

22a744c802c3ecc36e4f03c492bed2e1.jpg
I am sorry to hear of your crash swright, hope you get it all sorted out. You should be able to move the gimbal with your left wheel. Have you downloaded the manual from DJI website? The picture looks like something that belongs to "Predator."

Reactions: rickw and swright
If you’re new to droning, my advice is don’t fly in anything other than daylight or in any strong winds at least until you’ve got past the learning stage, and maybe not even then. Of course, you might be a seasoned droner who recently bought a Mavic.

I’ve had that message, I think I had it on my first flight. Any such message can be a little disconcerting when you’re new to it. But I always just hold the stick down and the drone will land after a few seconds. Give it a try in bright calm weather, and I’m sure you’ll be fine with it.

Reactions: rickw
The good thing about crashes is we learn something every time we have one. Fortunately yours did not result in any damage. Anyone who says they have never crashed a drone has probably never flown one.

Reactions: Bunny Too
The downward sensors will pause the landing if it thinks the landing area is unsafe, however, if you hold the left stick down continuously, after about ~10 seconds the RC controls override and the Mavic will land anyway. 10 seconds feels like a long time, tho.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmilonas