DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First flight with Goggles

98 SNAKE EATER

Reactions
Had them since last week, but haven't had a chance to try them out until early this morning due to all the rain.

Went to Sunken Meadow Park around 5am, so it was pretty much empty

First impression:

I love them!!

They definitely take some getting used to and so far, I haven't ventured into any of the flight modes (just locked)

Set it on 1080 and didn't have any dropouts or glitches, however, I did notice that a couple of my cached flights ended sooner than the actual recording from the SD Card (Never had that happen before)

The fit could be better.

Kept having to tilt my head up cause it felt like it was gunna fall forward.

I still feel the image on my iPad Air 2 is both larger and cleaner, however, there's no comparison when flying in sunlight as the Goggles win hands down.

Can't wait to get more flights in

Fantastic video..makes me want to go there!

The goggles's gimbal control feature seems to be my thing. I did have a few mishaps flying low level around the yard. I wish there was a small side view to know for sure I was past an object before making my turn :(... but I got the hang of it eventually.

thanks and enjoy

Is there a way to use head tracking mode for tilt control only?

I figure this would allow me to get used to the camera control, while still maintaining manual control before going into full head tracking mode

Is there a way to use head tracking mode for tilt control only?

I figure this would allow me to get used to the camera control, while still maintaining manual control before going into full head tracking mode

Yes (basically). It's called "Head Tracking Gimbal" mode, where only the gimbal will move relative to your head position (though it will also turn sideways too).

Read about it in the Goggles manual here:
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI+Goggles/20170424/DJI_Goggles_User_Manual_EN.pdf

Reactions: Vegasdad
But is there a way to make it tilt up and down only and not turn the camera or the unit itself sideways when I turn my head?

Basically using the Goggles to replace the camera tilt roller on the controller

But is there a way to make it tilt up and down only and not turn the camera or the unit itself sideways when I turn my head?

Basically using the Goggles to replace the camera tilt roller on the controller

No. It will turn 30 degrees in either direction (left/right) so... not a lot but more than nothing.

BTW, as far as I know, this is the only method to get a MP gimbal to turn to the side instead of having to turn the entire aircraft. One would think that this feature (which is obviously there) could be enabled by software, but I haven't seen it done yet (even with modded FW).

The view is great and the head tracking is awesome. My problem is I can only wear them for a short time before they fog up. Same thing with my PS4 VR goggles. I've tried anti fog drops, didn't seem to help much. With the heat and humidity in Florida I can't use them at all in the summer

Short clip from earlier today using the head tracking mode

Some of the footage isn't as smooth as I had hoped (I guess I just couldn't keep my head still enough)

Gunna play with the sensativity settings on my next outing

No. It will turn 30 degrees in either direction (left/right) so... not a lot but more than nothing.

BTW, as far as I know, this is the only method to get a MP gimbal to turn to the side instead of having to turn the entire aircraft. One would think that this feature (which is obviously there) could be enabled by software, but I haven't seen it done yet (even with modded FW).

Ok, so I seem to have an issue that really isn’t an issue:confused:

When I have it set to head tracking gimbal, I can only tilt the camera up and down.

Side to side does nothing

This is actually exactly what I wanted.

With head tracking flight, I can turn side to side as well, but it’s not nearly as smooth.

Now, earlier today, one of my co-workers was flying his MP, which is about a month or so older than mine running whatever software version that came with it and he wanted to try out the goggles, so I connected it to his MP and he absolutely loved it :)

He wanted to buy mine on the spot, but then I told him to just get the refurb at the DJI Store.

Unfortunately, they’re sold out, but he ended up getting a pair at NewEgg with a coupon even cheaper :cool:

Anyways, one thing I noticed is that in head tracking gimbal mode, he had both up/down tilt and side to side motion:oops:

Re-connected to my MP and I still only have up/down tilt only.

What gives?

Re-connected to my MP and I still only have up/down tilt only.

What gives?

What FW versions are you on? The DJI manual (and release notes) from Jan-Feb 2018 show that head tracking gimbal still retains the 30 degree yaw capability. Perhaps newer versions than that do not, though I can find no evidence suggesting as such.

What FW versions are you on? The DJI manual (and release notes) from Jan-Feb 2018 show that head tracking gimbal still retains the 30 degree yaw capability. Perhaps newer versions than that do not, though I can find no evidence suggesting as such.

Silly question, but how do I check what FW I have?

I bought it around August/September last year and never updated.

My co-worker already had his for a month or so before and also never updated.

Head tracking only works correctly if both aircraft and goggles are on the same version. If you never updated anything they probably aren't and that's why you'd have the incomplete functionality that you're happy about.

Reactions: WAXMAN
A little update....

I didn't have fixed wing mode with whatever version I was running, so I did the unthinkable and did a full update :eek:

Now I have the fixed wing option and head tracking gimbal now works in all directions, which takes a bit of getting used to....

I still prefer it to have tilt only as I tend to get smoother footage that way (hard to keep my head still I guess)

DJI should make an option for tilt only (perhaps I can lock out other motions in settings?)

The view is great and the head tracking is awesome. My problem is I can only wear them for a short time before they fog up. Same thing with my PS4 VR goggles. I've tried anti fog drops, didn't seem to help much. With the heat and humidity in Florida I can't use them at all in the summer

I'm in the Tampa Bay area and I agree. I sent mine back and got the Glyphs. They don't have the functionality the dji goggles do, but they work well in bright summer light and, since they don't seal to your face, there is no fogging or extra sweating. You do need an Nvidia Shield for the Mavic Pro.

I may get the goggles again in the fall, I'm hoping prices fall by then. I'll use the Glyphs in the 5 hot months and the goggles the rest of the year.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS