DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Ipad, few questions before purchase

I like you avatar, the only problem is ford just got 700 whp out of the Focus 2.0 for rally sport, I can not imagine having to work on that engine, I am a 347/427 guy myself with only eight to ten pounds of boost. Guess I am just a simple man.
Regards,
-d.

Hahaha cheers mate!
something that you cant get out of an inline 4 turbo is the bark of a V8. Ford saleman told me about the perfect race engine on the ford focus when i ordered my stang and I dont disagree with him especially considering power to weight ratio. But when i started my amg, he had to pick up his jaw from the floor.

Hahaha cheers mate!
something that you cant get out of an inline 4 turbo is the bark of a V8. Ford saleman told me about the perfect race engine on the ford focus when i ordered my stang and I dont disagree with him especially considering power to weight ratio. But when i started my amg, he had to pick up his jaw from the floor.
Well yeah, my '64 Fairlane 4dr with a bombproof 331 high nodular block, AFR heads paxton blower and a loose cam turns heads a hundred yards away. 11.4 on the track and it is a sleeper daily driver. No replacement for V8 rolling iron.
Regards,
-d

Reactions: beejAMG
Well yeah, my '64 Fairlane 4dr with a bombproof 331 high nodular block, AFR heads paxton blower and a loose cam turns heads a hundred yards away. 11.4 on the track and it is a sleeper daily driver. No replacement for V8 rolling iron.
Regards,
-d

Love the classic V8. Wish i had one. But thats another topic on a different forum. Just glad to find another car enthusiast here.

Reactions: Bunny Too
A) With the Cellular Ipad Mini 4 I can use RTH takeoff point AND "RTH to current position" (eg. if I'm flying on a boat, RTH back to my ipad mini). While the Wifi Only Ipad mini 4 I can only use RTH takeoff point because it does NOT have GPS, yes? Data/cellular plan (or Wifi) alone does not allow this feature to work?
It's also possible to reset the home point to the Mavic's current location. You can do that even if you don't have GPS on your mobile device. That would of course require the Mavic to be flying over top of the location where you want the new home point to be set.

A) correct
B)correct
C)depends, you can cache your maps before you leave to fly over WiFi, unless you are planning on flying for days at a time over hundreds of miles without the opportunity to pop in and update maps over WiFi, if you are going to be circumnavigating the globe and shunning all civilization you may need a data plan.
D) yes, for youtube you would also need cellular service, yes on Follow me, to download map in the middle of nowhere you would need a cellular plan AND GPS (I have never seen this need)
E)not that I am aware of
F)you need to turn on the location service and it helps if it is on "high accuracy"
If you have any other questions please post them.
Regards,
-d.

Thanks mate for answering my questions!

I wanted to clarify about having live google maps when flying. So I understand u need cellular plan/data or Wifi to get the maps, but why do you need GPS for the maps? If you know where you're flying, then GPS doesn't "help" download the maps, right? How will the ipad mini's GPS help with the google maps if I don't have a cellular plan?

Also, I noticed when I cache the maps with data (while flying with my Google Nexus 6p phone) then turn off the data and exit the app, my maps are not cached...The live maps become blurry again when I don't have my data turned on. How do I cache if I'm at a place with no data because the second i turn off data & exit the app for whatever reason, those cached maps are gone.

I hate apple products but decided to get a iPad mini for drone use only... As ur basically flying a £1k product about and didn't want any android bugs fooking up my fun .I picked up a refurbished iPad mini3 cellular for £200 on eBay its got a slight scratch on back lol. But a part from that its perfect and didn't break the bank. Don't buy new unless ur a apple fanboy is my advice.

Reactions: Soundtekk
Keep your eyes on Craigs List and Ebay for NEW or ALMOST new iPad Mini 4's.

I just got a BRAND NEW iPad Mini 4 (16GB - WIFI only) on Ebay for $319. It was still in the shrink-wrapped original Apple box and works beautifully. The display blows away my Galaxy S7, and is much better than the iPad Mini 2 or 3. It has a better, more "glare resistant" screen, a better, brighter display, and runs MUCH faster than the iPad Mini 2 or 3. The (American) seller I bought from had a 99.4% approval rating. He paid shipping (insured it) and I had it in 3 days.

Watch some YouTube comparison videos about the iPad Mini 4 VS. earlier versions.... big difference.

I was afraid I might miss the GPS function but I don't at all. It just takes a minute before I leave my house to get online with it and cache all the maps that I might need, and then I'll have them forever for that flight location.

The only functionality that I give up is the "Follow Me" function. I've never used Follow Me before, but if I need to do that, I'll just use my phone. Logically, if you're going to have your mavic follow you, you probably will be doing something that will require your hand(s) free anyway, and you'll just have your controller in your pocket - harder to do with a tablet attached. And I cannot reset the home point to my new current location with the iPad if I'm moving around, but if I need to be moving and flying at the same time, I'll use my phone.

* At the rate technology changes, and the rate that they update the DJI GO app, it is ridiculous, IMO, to spend good money on outdated or ALMOST outdated hardware, like the iPad Mini 2, when the newest version is only about $100 more. I've heard they may be coming out with a new iPad Mini this year, making the iPad Mini 2 three generations old already. I wonder how many more new versions of DJI GO will be released before the iPad Mini 2 isn't even powerful enough to run it? It is a VERY resource intensive APP. Plus, with the iPad Mini 4, hopefully it will still be new enough to fly the Mavic 2.0 when it comes out someday.

I made this "older-technology-saves-money" mistake just a few years ago, when I got a great deal on a new full-size iPad 4th generation, which is now already too outdated to even INSTALL the DJI GO and many other new applications.

You've got a state-of-the-art drone ; arguably one of the best drones money can buy for your needs.
Why diminish the experience by saving $100-$150 on a cheaper, older, slower, sub-par display?

Just my 2 cents.
the-quadfather-jpg.9785

Msinger, How DO you reset the RTH location to the mavic's current location while it is in the air?

How DO you reset the RTH location to the mavic's current location while it is in the air?
Swipe left on the screen in DJI GO and choose "Home Point: Me".

DJI-GO-Reset-Home-Point-Swipe-Left.jpg

Or you can reset the home point from the "Main Controller Settings" section of DJI GO.

DJI-GO-Reset-Home-Point-Main-Controller-Settings.jpg

Yes, all this help is great but WILL HE NEED A CELLULAR PLAN TO USE GPS?? Why must his pleas for help with this question go unheaded even after asking half a dozen times. IS A CELLULAR PLAN PURCHASE REQUIRED FOR USE OF THE GPS??

[emoji14]

Yes, all this help is great but WILL HE NEED A CELLULAR PLAN TO USE GPS?? Why must his pleas for help with this question go unheaded even after asking half a dozen times. IS A CELLULAR PLAN PURCHASE REQUIRED FOR USE OF THE GPS??
I answered that question in the 3rd post of this thread.

Wanted to update everyone considering the iPad mini 4. I've had it for about a week now and I LOVE IT! Before the iPad I used my Nexus 6p and the app would always crash & freeze thus requiring me to cancel out of the app or restart my phone...

I got my mini 4 off the Apple refurb site, $319 64gb WiFi only. Flying has been very smooth, responsive, and no app crashes at all. The bigger display is great! The only thing I had difficulty with was sliding it in the controller; I've seen ppl do it on YouTube and seems to slide in with no issues. When I did it, it actually put a lot of stress on the gripping arms, so I don't prefer sliding the iPad all the way in--it does feel very secure tho!

Having no GPS hasn't been an issue; I do wish I had the capabilities of updating my RTH location

Oh also, I did notice when I plugged in my iPad to the controller, the iPad does NOT charge (unlike w/ my phone, the controller would charge it while I was flying/plugged in). Maybe the iPad requires more power that the controller can't handle???

I flew for about an hour today with an iPad for the first time. Picked up a mini 4 cellular for only $340 new on Amazon. I did have the app freeze up on me about 40 minutes in, but that was the only crash the entire hour. Had to close it out and restart it which took longer than anything since I had to track my wife down while flying to have her explain to me how to close an app. I was lucky to make it 10 minutes with my Android devices. The app really does seem more responsive on iOS, especially to your touch.

I don't think I can fly now without all of that screen real estate either.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk