DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First MPP casualty

are they offering you a MPP without remote or just MP without remote?
The MPP without a remote controller is not available yet.

Update on my case.....still ongoing. I have been going back and forth via email for the past month and now they are finally escalating my case. I truly believe it was a drone issue just because the previous flight data did the same exact thing where if you see the flight recorder, the video transmission stops and disconnects like what you guys have been saying except I was able to manually fly it back since it was 40 meters away when it disconnected. It was when I used the RTH function on my second flight that it did not fly back as it should. I just don't understand how they can justify when there's video evidence of gimbal failure, it is automatically discredited since no errors pop up on the flight log. Who knows, maybe escalating it just means getting the same rejected letter from the higher ups.

Update on my case.....still ongoing. I have been going back and forth via email for the past month and now they are finally escalating my case. I truly believe it was a drone issue just because the previous flight data did the same exact thing where if you see the flight recorder, the video transmission stops and disconnects like what you guys have been saying except I was able to manually fly it back since it was 40 meters away when it disconnected. It was when I used the RTH function on my second flight that it did not fly back as it should. I just don't understand how they can justify when there's video evidence of gimbal failure, it is automatically discredited since no errors pop up on the flight log. Who knows, maybe escalating it just means getting the same rejected letter from the higher ups.

Hey Jed, same thing happen to me on P4P end poppy from DJI wrote me the same thing yesterday, with the thing of the discount also, do you have any progress with DJI? Since then? I will keep writing them till I have any logic response. Phantom 4 pro plus flew away and aplication always chrashes. Jed we should keep in contact! Wish you the best luck

just wanted to give a final update which this process took all in all 4 months of madness. Thankfully a resolution has been made in my favor. Basically DJI claimed since the flight recorder showed no errors the warranty was not valid even with the video evidence of the gimbal malfunction. they did offer me a 10% discount (slap to the face) to purchase another drone which I declined. I decided to go ahead and create a dispute with the credit card company affirm in regards to the product being unacceptable. DJI's poor customer service reputation and lack of response is actually what ended helping me win my case. I submitted my claim to affirm with the evidence 4 months ago and I guess this entire time they were waiting for DJI to respond back and they never did so I won the case. So if you truly believe the company is at fault there are definitely other ways to fight them besides going head to head with them.

just wanted to give a final update which this process took all in all 4 months of madness. Thankfully a resolution has been made in my favor. Basically DJI claimed since the flight recorder showed no errors the warranty was not valid even with the video evidence of the gimbal malfunction. they did offer me a 10% discount (slap to the face) to purchase another drone which I declined. I decided to go ahead and create a dispute with the credit card company affirm in regards to the product being unacceptable. DJI's poor customer service reputation and lack of response is actually what ended helping me win my case. I submitted my claim to affirm with the evidence 4 months ago and I guess this entire time they were waiting for DJI to respond back and they never did so I won the case. So if you truly believe the company is at fault there are definitely other ways to fight them besides going head to head with them.
Fantastic. The credit card company fought for you. That is why I try to pay for merchandise with a credit card. It's safer than a debit card and the company will back you up on any product. Competition will also help but, unfortunately, so far, there is little. Perhaps soon. It only takes two to compete but they have to both have worthy products. Such an odd combination at DJI: marvelous product but very poor customer relations.

Reactions: Jedpinoy
Man, Stories like this and others are REALLY making me not want to buy a DJI Drone. I have been torn between the P4P and the MPP but they both seem to have major problems...the P4P has a rash of recent battery popping out issues in flight and now the MPP has Gimbal problems...Sigh...

I doubt there is a "rash" of problems. There are many thousands of drones out there and people flying them with very few issues. One reason these drones are so popular is their reliability. You will also see the term "pilot error."

The problem is that there is no clear connection between gimbal/video issues and the observed failure. They are correct that the log shows no abnormalities prior to this event. It looks most likely to be a battery ejection, which is probably the basis for their refusal to replace. The 30% offer seems to be their default courtesy response in such cases.
I keep reading on this board about battery ejections. I am a noob. I am always careful to check that the battery seems to be in properly but I suspect that is true for the people who have lost their batteries as well. Is there something special to check to make sure your battery is in fact properly locked?

I keep reading on this board about battery ejections. I am a noob. I am always careful to check that the battery seems to be in properly but I suspect that is true for the people who have lost their batteries as well. Is there something special to check to make sure your battery is in fact properly locked?

Nothing specific - just ensure that it positively clicks in both sides. It's much easier on the Mavic than with the Phantoms, and less likely to eject with the battery on top, but it clearly can happen.

Check Homepoint, batteries, and props. Pay attention to any warnings received.

Excellent advice. In addition, I ALWAYS do the following:

1) launch from a 75-cm bright-orange "helipad"
2) launch with the tail of the AC pointing toward me, the nose pointing north per the compass display on my iPad Mini 4*
3) look for the rapidly-flashing green LED on the tail during ascent to signify that the the Home Point was in fact recorded
4) look for the slowly-flashing green LED at the tail of the hovering AC to assure me that all is normal

Lastly, because I fly from the center of a large vacant area, I set the (distance) radius to the minimum possible (15M) so that, if ever there is a sudden loss of power, my precious AC will fall within the large vacant area, where I can easily retrieve it -- and if the damage is severe, send it off to DJI Care Refresh.

Because I don't have another roughly $1000 to spend on a hobby, I do everything I can to prevent the loss of my "honey."

If anyone has additional helpful measures to suggest, I will gladly consider them.

Thanks in advance.

*I also sit facing north so that, at all times during the flight, a quick glance at the compass on my iPad Mini 4 informs me re the direction of the nose of the aircraft. As a result, I know exactly which joystick(s) I need to utilize to cause the AC to move in the direction I desire.

Reactions: Daptone
15M is a pretty short leash for something that flies.
Just my opinion but you should "loosen up"a bit.

Nothing specific - just ensure that it positively clicks in both sides. It's much easier on the Mavic than with the Phantoms, and less likely to eject with the battery on top, but it clearly can happen.

My wife has the opposite problem: she often has to ask me to help her remove the battery from her new MP -- and even for me it's a struggle.

15M is a pretty short leash for something that flies.
Just my opinion but you should "loosen up"a bit.

Because I don't have another roughly $1000 to spend on a hobby, I do everything I can to prevent the loss of my "honey."

I do occasionally take it all the way up to 120m in height,* but never more than 15m from my location.

*Very rarely, as not long ago a helicopter passed overhead -- but not directly below my AC -- that seemed to be flying below 120m.

I decided to go ahead and create a dispute with the credit card company affirm in regards to the product being unacceptable.

Brilliant move.

So, Affirm credited your account, plus the interest that you've paid, and you used the credit to purchase a new-in-the-box MPP plus perhaps some accessories?

Not yet, going through DJI’s customer service was a nightmare with no support and definitely left a salty taste in my mouth. I definitely want another drone. I’m waiting to see what that mavic 2 will be all about before I invest in another dji product......

Brilliant move.

So, Affirm credited your account, plus the interest that you've paid, and you used the credit to purchase a new-in-the-box MPP plus perhaps some accessories?

First time poster long time lurker. Basically I feel like im the first person to lose their mavic pro platinum. I brought with me to germany because i wanted to drone some of the castles they have there. I've had the previous mavic pro for over a year now so it wasn't my first time using the drone. I should have trusts my instincts that the MPP i had was buggy because the video feed disconnected a few times one me when i was flying the drone but I was able to always RTH and it would fly back. with no issues........

EXCEPT this time the RTH did not work. The video disconnected from the iphone and i was flying blind so i decided to hit RTH but this time the drone flew even farther and out of sight in which sucks cause i couldn't manually fly it back. The drone ended up running out of battery and crashing somewhere. I went to go find and search its last location with no avail. Sucks it happened in another country so i couldn't stay there and keep finding it. Anyways I opened up a case with DJI, sent them my flight records and videos and hopefully they will replace the MPP. Because I believe this was a malfunction on the drone and not user error.

If anyone can interpret my flight recordings and see if it was user error or not. That would help soften the blow. Thats the link to the flight recordings. You can even see one video where the camera gimbal goes haywire and thats when my video disconnected. I had that drone for only 4 days........ sucks big time.

Dropbox - DJI folder
That really sucks. I actually had similar incident: Flew the drone as normal, lost sight of it, tried to get it back by activating the Return To Home sequence and no luck. Connection lost at some point and apparently it landed somewhere into the water although for the life of me, I could NOT remember I did that.

Worst yet, they only offer 15% discount on replacement so I guess they lost a customer there...
Bastards!

Man, Stories like this and others are REALLY making me not want to buy a DJI Drone. I have been torn between the P4P and the MPP but they both seem to have major problems...the P4P has a rash of recent battery popping out issues in flight and now the MPP has Gimbal problems...Sigh...

I never had an issue with it, but you can always use a velcro strap to firmly cinch it in place.

Excellent advice. In addition, I ALWAYS do the following:

1) launch from a 75-cm bright-orange "helipad"
2) launch with the tail of the AC pointing toward me, the nose pointing north per the compass display on my iPad Mini 4*
3) look for the rapidly-flashing green LED on the tail during ascent to signify that the the Home Point was in fact recorded
4) look for the slowly-flashing green LED at the tail of the hovering AC to assure me that all is normal

Lastly, because I fly from the center of a large vacant area, I set the (distance) radius to the minimum possible (15M) so that, if ever there is a sudden loss of power, my precious AC will fall within the large vacant area, where I can easily retrieve it -- and if the damage is severe, send it off to DJI Care Refresh.

If anyone has additional helpful measures to suggest, I will gladly consider them.

Thanks in advance.

*I also sit facing north so that, at all times during the flight, a quick glance at the compass on my iPad Mini 4 informs me re the direction of the nose of the aircraft. As a result, I know exactly which joystick(s) I need to utilize to cause the AC to move in the direction I desire.
It's great that you are safe and all but maybe try flying the thing a little bit? A lttle?

A smidge more???

Not yet, going through DJI’s customer service was a nightmare with no support and definitely left a salty taste in my mouth. I definitely want another drone. I’m waiting to see what that mavic 2 will be all about before I invest in another dji product......
I'm surprised affirm actually got your back I mean it took four months. But thats cool! Their financing is crazy tho....went thru them once a few years ago and if u dont pay them fast and get it done. U are royally screwed in interest

I do occasionally take it all the way up to 120m in height,* but never more than 15m from my location.

*Very rarely, as not long ago a helicopter passed overhead -- but not directly below my AC -- that seemed to be flying below 120m.
Not to be mean but maybe this isn't the hobby for you if you can't afford it. Seriously! Just friendly advice this is why I'm getting out of helicopters! If you can't pay to play no use.
Serious question right here how do you get good video and pictures at only 15 m?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78