DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First New look of FAA Memorandum 2019

Drone Master

Rest In Peace, Fellow Pilot
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Please forgive me for posting this SS. I’m sure others have better documentation.
D59E376B-0833-457E-B7E1-8B1835E07800.jpeg

Is there another page to this memo? It just seems to end rather abruptly and only addresses "Fixed" flying sites.

It's a good solid step in the right direction to regulate hobby flights along the same lines as Part 107 operations.

Is there another page to this memo? It just seems to end rather abruptly and only addresses "Fixed" flying sites.

It's a good solid step in the right direction to regulate hobby flights along the same lines as Part 107 operations.
It’s all I got right now, but should be showing up soon for the full insert.

Hoping to see the rest soon. So far, I see a hobbyist are no longer allowed to advise ATC that they are flying in controlled airspace from fixed locations. Curious if hobbyist will be allowed LAANC access to gain approval. This first part seems to only concern fixed locations...

Reactions: Inspirephil

It seems to imply that there might be an authorization system for recreational flight at other than those fixed sites - without the rest of the memo it's hard to tell. IF that's not the case, and recreational flight is banned elsewhere in controlled airspace, then there are going to be a lot of unhappy hobbyists.

I can't find that memo anywhere online yet.

It does seem that flying at a fixed site is the only option for hobbyist in controlled airspace. I am anxiously awaiting the rest of the memo and hoping they are opening hobbyists up to LAANC or some other procedure.

Reactions: BIGWAVE
This follows up on the thread I posted last week New FAA Actions on Recreational Flights and Model Aircraft in which the FAA was seeking input on requesting authority to start collecting information from recreational pilots for airspace authorizations. It closed to comment on May 10, the same date as this memo. Specifically, the request for comment included this statement: "Similar to the existing process for part 107 operations, the FAA proposes to use LAANC and a web portal to process airspace authorization requests for limited recreational operations...prior to conducting any small UAS flight in Class B, Class C, Class D, or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport. Previously, only persons operating under part 107 have been required to request these authorizations."

This follows up on the thread I posted last week New FAA Actions on Recreational Flights and Model Aircraft in which the FAA was seeking input on requesting authority to start collecting information from recreational pilots for airspace authorizations. It closed to comment on May 10, the same date as this memo. Specifically, the request for comment included this statement: "Similar to the existing process for part 107 operations, the FAA proposes to use LAANC and a web portal to process airspace authorization requests for limited recreational operations...prior to conducting any small UAS flight in Class B, Class C, Class D, or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport. Previously, only persons operating under part 107 have been required to request these authorizations."
It seems the OPs memo show implementation on 5/16 and states ATC would no longer respond to sUAS "intent to fly" advisories. I am hoping the rest of the memo spells out how a hobbyist can fly in controlled airspace....

Yes, the rest of the memo is missing. What’s here is primarily to keep folks from trying to get local airport clearance. The date on the memo is 5/10 with a suspense date of 5/16... so Something is coming in about 72hrs.

A step in the proper direction.

OK - so what this appears to be saying is that within all surface controlled airspace associated with an airport, recreational flight will only be allowed at fixed sites. That's a huge additional restriction on hobbyists given the population density in surface controlled airspace. There are either going to be a lot of people breaking the law or the recreational drone business is in for a big downturn, or both.

Wow... those additional pages paint a not so great picture for Hobby flights.... I expected tighter restrictions but did not expect them to be to this extent.

That's what happens when hobby operators feel like it's the Wild Wild West and those silly Part 107 laws are humorous.

Wow... those additional pages paint a not so great picture for Hobby flights.... I expected tighter restrictions but did not expect them to be to this extent.

That's what happens when hobby operators feel like it's the Wild Wild West and those silly Part 107 laws are humorous.

Agreed. In many ways it's not surprising, but it's a huge change in philosophy now that the FAA has been freed from the constraints of the Special Rule. I don't think the implications have quite sunk in yet, judging by some of the commentary on drone-related websites.

Agreed. In many ways it's not surprising, but it's a huge change in philosophy now that the FAA has been freed from the constraints of the Special Rule. I don't think the implications have quite sunk in yet, judging by some of the commentary on drone-related websites.

100% agreed. This is going to cause a huge UpRoar to say the least. I wonder what else they have in the works for hobby restrictions???

My biggest concern is that their lack of enforcement (or at least the appearance of it) takes away some of the "Bite" associated with the restrictions. I mean really, without enforcement, the vast majority are going to remain "business as usual" and just turn their noses up to the law.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78