DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Run in with local police

My wife had become quite tired of heavy equipment noises coming from an adjacent property and insisted I fly my drone over to see what Was happening. When I brought it back a saw a picture of a man with a phone looking up. Sure enough an hour later police with backup are at my door. Told the guy the truth that I had flown over the adjacent property. He told me I was not allowed to fly over other peoples property. Thankfully I was confident enough to share with him the rules and his partner thankfully agreed. My wife feels bad and we had a laugh. Now how to repair relations s with the neighbor?

I'm way behind on recent rule changes, but I think I remember a guideline:

a.) Property owner does not own the airspace above the property., but

b.) Property owner has a right to his privacy.

Anyone: am I still correct on this or have things changed?

Admittedly, the overlap between these two leaves a lot of room for interpretation, but I think that's the way we'd want it. Potential circumstances are so varied that conflicts should be judged case-by-case. If I saw a strange drone hovering 30 ft up staring in my window, I also would be offended. A drone 100 ft. up on its way somewhere else would not bother me.

I generally try to keep it moving when over private properties. Also, keep in mind that the annoying buzz is irritating. I've had no conflicts in three years.

I'm way behind on recent rule changes, but I think I remember a guideline:

a.) Property owner does not own the airspace above the property., but

b.) Property owner has a right to his privacy.

Anyone: am I still correct on this or have things changed?

Admittedly, the overlap between these two leaves a lot of room for interpretation, but I think that's the way we'd want it. Potential circumstances are so varied that conflicts should be judged case-by-case. If I saw a strange drone hovering 30 ft up staring in my window, I also would be offended. A drone 100 ft. up on its way somewhere else would not bother me.

I generally try to keep it moving when over private properties. Also, keep in mind that the annoying buzz is irritating. I've had no conflicts in three years.
News helicopter guy says that in federally controlled airspace, there is no expectation of privacy at/above 400' AGL typically where they fly.

Typically the drone's cameras aren't any different than a smartphone, and you'd have to be pretty close to be able to get any real good footage, but then again, the light has to illuminate the subject whether lights in the house or daylight when outside whatever the object.

Not even close! That is a trespass ON private property. Its been litigated many times...landowners do NOT own the airspace above their property. Can’t have a trespass without stepping foot on the property. You’re grabbing at straws. Amazing how quickly some are willing to give up their civil liberties.
Invasion of privacy doesn't have to involve trespass.

Landowners don't have jurisdiction of airspace over property, but depending on how low you go and the nature of the flight you can have a judgement against you, just not by FAA and their rules.

Try intentionally flying into one's property at 30ft taking pictures and see how far you get with that.

For some time we could use the defense that at 100ft or more, objects on the ground look tiny so most have little to be concerned about with regards to privacy.

Then the Zoom came out.

Invasion of privacy doesn't have to involve trespass.

Landowners don't have jurisdiction of airspace over property, but depending on how low you go and the nature of the flight you can have a judgement against you, just not by FAA and their rules.

Try intentionally flying into one's property at 30ft taking pictures and see how far you get with that.

Again, you are trying to inject things that DID NOT HAPPEN in this case. Go back and read the original post. Nothing the OP did was even close to invasion of privacy. His flight was no different then a guy walking by on the sidewalk and taking a picture with his cell phone! You have no clue what the definition of invasion of privacy is. Over flying a property and taking a picture isn’t even close.

Reactions: Hawkwind
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio