DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First time buyer! Present for partner

if it’s going to be his first drone then no doubt
Mavic mini 2 fly more kit
If he enjoys it he’ll get a lot of fun, more than you know, he can upgrade later if he wants to go beyond to advanced stuff, if he doesn’t it’ll still do all he’ll ever need

it’s safe, easy and advanced enough believe me!

Reactions: Hauptmann
I am glad I went with the Mavic Air 2 and as you can tell there is many opinions.

Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!
I would go with the Mini 2 not knowing whether he would like flying and is into photography. It is very addictive and he could always graduate to the Air 2 later.

Hi,

I would say stay with the Mini 2 rather than the Mini. Pay a little extra for the mini 2 for better WiFi (Ocusync) and more reliable and stable drone. Buy the Combo as it will give approx just under 1.5 hrs flying when changing batteries and you can charge via car charger while waiting our use high power battery pack (purchased from others).

Read...read.....read and tell your partner to do the same prior to flying. Stick to the rules when flying and fly safe. Read the drone laws FAA or CAA and there's plenty information here is required.

Good luck and the other half will love it

Hi all !
Thank you all a much again, from those last few comments, I’ve actually decided to get the mini 2! For $1000 I can get the mini plus the fly more kit and then as a couple of you have said , there’s another $800 I’ll save and that can be for accessories etc!

the other point I really took is the fact he may not like it and may not use it as much as we think! So therefore it’s a bit less to fork out if it’s not used as much.

you’re all so knowledgeable and helpful and really appreciate all of your genuine advice and being patient with me not knowing a thing!!

I’m excited to use it also and chat with you all about the experience ☺️☺️

Great choice.

Use in an open space to get used to controls first of all. Confidence will grow the more its used, read about drone regulations and as its under 250g registering is not compulsory. It will be good to register and show the regs and rules are known.

Good luck.

Harvey Norman and JB HiFi sell the Mavic Air 2 for $A1499.
Take note of earlier replies about mobile phone or tablet for the Mavic Air 2. A suitable Android (eg Samsung) mobile phone or tablet needs to run the 64bit version of Android OR an iPhone or Ipad (they all seems to be suitable). If you need to purchase one then you are looking at another $A600 or more.
As mentioned if he already has an Android phone or tablet go to the Google Store, look for an app named DJI FLY and attempt to install it. If the device is not suitable you won't be able to install it.

Last edited:
Hi all :)
Complete newbie to this drone stuff! I was hoping one of you could help me :)

I’m buying my husband his first drone for his birthday this year! I would like to buy a decent quality one and was hoping for some suggestions ☺️☺️

Thank so much!!
If photography is your main reason for the drone then you can't do better than a Mavic 2 Pro (that exact name) with a Hasselblad camera. It gives you the best video. It also has crash sensors all around so it is actually hard to crash. It costs a bit more but the ease of flying and photography is well worth it. Also get the flymore kit as the extra batteries, memory, chargers, and other stuff you will need anyway. Here is a great deal https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H5WT1H9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Koozam is a DJI dealer so reasonably reputable. He will love it!

While I swear by and earn $ flying a Mavic 2 Pro, I would be comfortable recommending the Mavic Air 2 as a very capable FIRST drone! I would purchase it new and I’d also purchase DJI Care Refresh with it.

Your partner is lucky! ?

I’ve actually decided to get the mini 2! For $1000 I can get the mini plus the fly more kit and then as a couple of you have said , there’s another $800 I’ll save and that can be for accessories...
My wife gave me my first Mavic (Mini) a couple Chirstmases ago, and I’ve been hooked on the hobby ever since; even flying commercial for “new drone money” once in a while.

Welcome to the forum, and good on you for being an awesome wife!

Great appreciate that! I’ll go with the air 2
Hi Jess, I agree with the other posts here, the Air 2 is a very good choice. I'm in Perth, and I bought my Mavic Pro Platinum off Gumtree, and had the chance to see if fly and check it out thoroughly. It was only 3 months old, and in perfect condition, and I saved around A$500.

Depending on where you are in NSW, it might be worth checking Gumtree first.

Hi Jess, I agree with the other posts here, the Air 2 is a very good choice. I'm in Perth, and I bought my Mavic Pro Platinum off Gumtree, and had the chance to see if fly and check it out thoroughly. It was only 3 months old, and in perfect condition, and I saved around A$500.

Depending on where you are in NSW, it might be worth checking Gumtree first.
Thanks! I will chekx gumtree for sure :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_