DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First time Flyer Mavic 2

Bourbon Bomber

Reactions
Hello everyone I just got my first one. It’s the Mavic pro2. A few things I’ve noticed, how did I rotate the gimbal east west, I see it moves that way when I turn it on, but I can’t forgive how to turn left/right, that roller button just focuses the camera.

Also I see where people are able to fly these things a mile away, but furthest I’ve been able to go is under 3,000’.

And lastly, what are the switches on the side of the remote for, there’s 3 options and then the little small buttons on the back of the remote:

I was surprised by how little instruction the M2 comes with.

Thanks in advance.

I am in New Orleans

Hello everyone I just got my first one. It’s the Mavic pro2. A few things I’ve noticed, how did I rotate the gimbal east west, I see it moves that way when I turn it on, but I can’t forgive how to turn left/right, that roller button just focuses the camera.

Also I see where people are able to fly these things a mile away, but furthest I’ve been able to go is under 3,000’.

And lastly, what are the switches on the side of the remote for, there’s 3 options and then the little small buttons on the back of the remote:

Thanks in advance.

I am in New Orleans
Welcome to the forum!

All your questions are answered here:
This is the link to the full M2 manual. I strongly recommend you read and understand it. I keep it on my phone. The one in the box is super abbreviated.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .

Welcome to the forum @Bourbon Bomber ... In addition to the Manual link in post #2 above (and I really second that advice!!), I'd suggest that you use that manual to generate a list of questions, and then hit YouTube to get answers. There's a huge resource of how-to vid's there ... Concentrate on 4 areas of study - and I suggest you do them in this order:
1) Get familiar with DJI's Go4 app and what all the settings are there to do ...
2) Look at vid's that talk about preparing your Mavic for flight (i.e. what you should do before you even get it off the ground) ...
3) Look at vid's that show how to fly the Mavic, and [secondly] then how to use the Intelligent flight modes.
4) Then get into gimbal and camera settings - to get the best photo's / videos.

The impression we are given by DJI is that the Mavic is an out-of-the-box-and-fly device ... But in fact, it's a very complex mix of technology that you do need to get very familiar with to fly safely, and to protect the money you just shelled out for it! You'll see a lot of stories in this forum that illustrate the value of understanding how your Mavic works ... Treat it with respect and it will give you many, many hours of fun!

Have fun and fly safe ...

Welcome to the forum! :)

While the Mavic 2 can technically fly up to 4.9 miles away, keep in mind that US law requires hobbyists to fly within visual line of sight (VLOS). That means you need to be able to see the aircraft with your eyes at all times. See more details about that in this thread:

Thanks in advance.

I am in New Orleans
Welcome! Lots of great and informative info here on the forum. Enjoy!Thumbswayup

On range: I am a new pilot as well....so my info is coming from only 3 months of flying, 115 hours air time, 400 flights, and covering 650 miles. I fly out in the country where I live in Texas on acreage. I mostly fly sitting in my recliner inside the house and easily range to 3000' on every flight. If I go outside to fly I easily range to 16,000' without any glitches. Haven't pushed it beyond that range at this point. 2 things I know: 1) Altitude is key to distance. If signal gets weak go up. If you lose signal momentarily release the sticks and push up...my drone is still controllable with signal loss and goes up and recovers in a matter of seconds. That's been my experience. 2) Trees seem to be the single biggest disrupter of signal. If there are trees between RC and drone signal will immediately get weak at almost ANY distance. If you drop down into heavily wooded areas from a distance like I frequently do and fly around .... You must be very aware of your surroundings and signal strength at all times. I don't recommend flying in the woods more than 2000' away and from outside. Just my experiences as rooky.

Thanks in advance.

I am in New Orleans
Hello and welcome, am pretty new at this too but have learned alot from utube videos. The only way to move the gimble left and right without the goggles is to tap and hold the screen, a blue dot will appear, then slide your finger side to side-and up and down-to move it. In your settings there is a max height and distance settings you will need to set, a lot of other settings too. The three way switch is for tripod mode, position mode and sport mode but there is also a place in settings that you need to turn on to activate the switch. You can go to dji website under support I think for pdf files that will explain a lot of things for you. Hope this helps and like the others say learn your bird to keep it.

Reactions: Bourbon Bomber

Thanks in advance.

I am in New Orleans
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy your new M2P. As mentioned above pressing and holding on the screen brings up a blue dot, it can also move the camera left and right as well as up and down. Make sure to program one of your custom buttons to re-center the camera when done. Fly safe and have fun!

Welcome to Mavicpilots.com. If you ever need advice or repair questions, feel free to reach out to the forum.

Best regards and good luck,

Rob
Thunderdrones

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis