DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fixed Wing Mode

but I can see a conflict in Fixed wing mode and the center stick motor shutoff command

By default csc doesn't shut down motors in air unless mavic has critical error.
Although you can change it back to the old function of drop dead and ask questions afterwards.

Reactions: Bunny Too
But...but I thought they released this mode to IMPROVE video recording; not to cripple it via forced FPV and uncontrollable gimbal! :(

I haven't tried it yet but looks like it would be great for FPV just cruising around. Gives me a reason to break out the Headplays. Looks to me like it might give a better field of view in the direction you're turning as well as the tilt.

I would like to see, just for fun, full acro mode. Not that I would try it but I'm sure many on YouTube would.

I still don't get what the fixed wing application is. Fun flying?
If it is to fly like a plane... why not make the stick mimic a plane (push forward to go down, pull back to go up).
Up to you, to change that in your prefs. And I agree, it would be more intuitive. Too bad I didn't realize this before I got used to the DJI way.

Reactions: KiterTodd
do you have to have the mavic switched on and connected to the remote to see the fixed wing setting ?. just been looking at my dji go app 4.06 on my android s7 phone and i can see the setting to turn on fixed wing any where in the controller settings.

Reactions: markinbright
Just my 2 cents... I've flown fixed wing RC for years, and these "controls" will completely F with my head. You can't slow down??? Only accelerate? OMG. What I'd like it to do: Left stick foward / backward = accelerate / decelerate. Left stick left / right = yaw (rudder). Right stick forward / backward = pitch down / up. Right stick left / right = roll left / right. This would give you the feeling of flying a fixed wing aircraft, with the added benefit of being able to slow down and stop to a hover if you wish. I'm not even going to try it in it's current state, as I'm 100% certain it would = CRASH for me.

You're SO right!

Current implementation is neither fixed-wing (how would someone apply this term to quadcopters?), nor cruise-control (should we call it Auto Pilot instead?). User manual introduced it in the same way as cruise control described in manuals for cars, entering this mode is very similar and behavior of the right stick is like for a "gas" pedal. I would suggest DJI to call current mode "Simulator of fixed-wing" - this will be honest description for quadcopter. But as soon as they teased us with a kind of auto-pilot (cruise control) they should now add that mode where they allow to change speed settings in both directions (not just allow acceleration with right stick) and where gimbal's behavior will follow settings from the main menu. The way of entering this mode is implemented well and I would leave it as is.

Just installed it and had a quick play

I think the reason for the elevator sticks are reversed is for satisfy the XBOX generation.

Reactions: Pudgie_01
This guy shows a bit of the creative potential, a banked turn is IMHO more pleasant for a change of direction in a filming passage.

Nice, when you do long and smooth direction changes make it very pleasant to watch, like an airplane fly by indeed.

For best results try not to use rudder to turn and when moving roll back to centre try and keep it slow and smooth.

Just my 2 cents... I've flown fixed wing RC for years, and these "controls" will completely F with my head. You can't slow down??? Only accelerate? OMG. What I'd like it to do: Left stick foward / backward = accelerate / decelerate. Left stick left / right = yaw (rudder). Right stick forward / backward = pitch down / up. Right stick left / right = roll left / right. This would give you the feeling of flying a fixed wing aircraft, with the added benefit of being able to slow down and stop to a hover if you wish. I'm not even going to try it in it's current state, as I'm 100% certain it would = CRASH for me.
Ditto here

I tried fixed wing mode this morning. It's great! It's so agile controllable flexible. It's just like flying a prop plane. Love it !

Attachments

• IMG_2737.JPG
    IMG_2737.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 35
Reactions: nx650
I fly fpv FW and it doesn't mess with my head...to slow down just pull right stick back

Just played with it.

1) I think it's for fun. You can not move the camera up and down manually. It stays pointing straight ahead.
2) going up and down tilts the drone up and down so it looks like you are climbing and descending.
3) speed stays steady but you can use the right sick to speed up and slow down. When you let go of the right sick, it goes back to the default speed.
4) when you initiate a turn, the drone banks.

All in all, it's a fun mode.

Tried it today, not a fan, like the poster before me, its mainly for fun, I can't see any real use out of it. Pretty much just a gimmick. You can do the same in FPV mode.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147