DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flew 830 ft over water and lost signal! Help me figure it out please

Yes, BJR981S, I am concerned that we have drone pilots doing this. As a pilot with over 4000 hours of military and commercial aviation in both rotor and fixed wing it alarms me. I've come to believe the reason is they just don't understand the gravity of their actions. It is seriously dangerous. It will only take one incident of a drone getting sucked in to an intake, going through a windscreen or damaging a control surface and all drone aviation will be effected. If you are calling yourself a drone pilot, be a pilot, know and follow the rules for everyone's safety.

I use AirMap and B4UFly does anyone else use anything different and can you recommend it?

I don't think too many Drone pilots appreciate environmental impacts. I have a 48NM 4Kw digital radar on my boat. If they think a 200mw transmitter can break through a 4Kw signal ........

In operation you must stay 3 metres away from the radome or risk being microwaved and cooked.

What drone pilots also don't appreciate is that they see drone flying near Ships at sea near the shore and the drone is not impacted. The transmit power of the radar is linked to the range setting on the radar control. It is very low power close to shore but is switched to longer higher power when out to sea. But all it takes is for the operator to flick between ranges and you get a radar burst. Operating near the shoreline is a risk for drones if ships are in the area. 0-10 Miles.

Operating within restricted airspace is not only unsafe for aircraft but unsafe for the drones. Most airports are using passive primary radar but they still have active secondary at their disposal if required. Also there is Doppler radar active to detect Microbursts on approaches I am not sure if it is on constantly or only turned on in bad weather. ,

I just make sure I am aware of any Flight restrictions where I am flying and other electromagnetic emission sources.

When I put up a $10K Scale Helicopter or Scale Jet I want to be really sure they are flying in a safe location. I spec these locations out with either my P4 Pro+ or Mavic Pro.

Cheers Brian

Reactions: mad monkey
I did not read all posts so I apologize in advance if this has been mentioned before...Very similar to what happened with my Inspire 2.... sudden lost of signal without warning... after that flight, every time I flew, I would lose signal and the DJI GO 4 app would go blank every few seconds.... I tried disconnecting then connecting the USB cable and that brought the connection back but only for a few seconds. I thought it was a bad cable but it was not. The fix was updating the iOS from 11.4 to 11.4.1

Yes, BJR981S, I am concerned that we have drone pilots doing this. As a pilot with over 4000 hours of military and commercial aviation in both rotor and fixed wing it alarms me. I've come to believe the reason is they just don't understand the gravity of their actions. It is seriously dangerous. It will only take one incident of a drone getting sucked in to an intake, going through a windscreen or damaging a control surface and all drone aviation will be effected. If you are calling yourself a drone pilot, be a pilot, know and follow the rules for everyone's safety.

I use AirMap and B4UFly does anyone else use anything different and can you recommend it?

I use Avare app for Android, very detailed info sectional maps, update NOTAMS, METARS, etc...and its fee

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie