DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight #5, Crash #1

dennyc39

Reactions
Flew in the yard yesterday to test the prop guards. Recently I've been working to get familiar with the menus, so I don't miss something important, and so that I am able to find important things in a hurry when I need to.
I can fly the drone fine, but get confused easily when something unexpected happens, such as the disconnects from the DJI Go app that have happened several times. I don't have that degree of familiarity yet, and so have made up my own checklists, which help.

Everything checked out and seemed normal. Did a compass calibration anyway. The drone took off and hovered at about 10 feet, like it was nailed to the sky. Did a couple of 360's and took a picture. And then a prop came off.

I was super-glad I had taken off from a grassy surface (made softer by the moss that grows in western Oregon). Fractures of a prop and one side of the prop guard absorbed most of the energy. The gimbal was OK, and the drone still checks out and flies, minus the prop guard, and thanks to the extra prop pair that was included.

I had covered the checklist, including "props secure and on correct motors", but one obviously was not locked. I guess I need to be sure I'm in good light when I do this, and give a tug on each one. Attaching them by feel is not reliable. This would have been a disaster in many situations.

The prop guards look to be well-made and useful, even when sacrificed. I will try to repair this one using some kind of moldable adhesive. The plastic doesn't break cleanly, and tends to shed fragments from the broken ends.

I look forward to more posts that are titled
Flight Six - No Crash :) and so forth.

On your checklist did you add - Turn on the Prop Cages setting within the DJI GO4 app when flying with prop guards?

Prop guards $15 have no cage, use your standard propellers and serve as a bumper around the motors on your MP. No settings are required to be changed on the RC before use.

Not sure what the effect of this option is. There was nothing in the manual, other than the existence of the switch. Since I had installed the prop guards, it seemed logical to turn it on. Brief as it was, the flight seemed normal, and the motor rpm was in the 500's. For now, I don't contemplate using the cages, as they seem to cause the drone to be working rather hard. What are the consequences of turning Prop Guards On?

I think I just discovered a more positive way to be assured of prop security.

1. As most of us know, the shaft end should be flush with the top surface of the hub.

2. The properly installed prop actually locks in place. You can't easily see this, but you can feel it. Push down on the prop, compressing the spring, then turn it part way. Relax the pressure, then turn it all the way. The spring will pop it up into a locking recess, and you can feel this pop. In this position it can't be backed off without first pushing down on the spring. Very secure.

If you were to turn it the wrong way, you get a bigger pop, but the shaft is no longer flush with the hub. Big red flag. In this position the prop is ready to be removed.

Might be useful when you are flying into an unforgiving situation, such as over water. I expect that with my mishap the prop looked sort of good, but was not locked.

I look forward to more posts that are titled
Flight Six - No Crash :) and so forth.

On your checklist did you add - Turn on the Prop Cages setting within the DJI GO4 app when flying with prop guards?

What's the name of that propeller cage? I've only seen propeller guards but not cages.

What's the name of that propeller cage? I've only seen propeller guards but not cages.
They are the official DJI prop cages, can be found here: Buy Mavic Pro Propeller Cage
They do require a different type of propellor to fit, and greatly reduce flight time. But are very safe for flying indoors, or around people (who you have approval from to fly near). You can also rest your drink on the Mavic should you so choose!

Everything checked out and seemed normal. Did a compass calibration anyway.
Be careful doing this. You should not be calibrating the compass unless there is something wrong with it, or the app tells you to. If you calibrate the compass while you are near any magnetic field, then as you fly away from that field, your compass may get confused and cause errors in flight. Many items around suburbia cause magnetic interference (eg. rebar in concrete). Safe flying :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian