DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight Around Ben Franklin Bridge

So with all you righteous chitter chatter why is flying over bridges more dangerous than flying over city streets?

It’s not more dangerous. It’s equally dangerous. The risk of a multi-car pile up due to an object dropping from the sky onto traffic is essentially the same in both scenarios, relative to traffic volume and speed. The rules, as I interpret them, do not distinguish between the two.

Note the potential for a drone to be that object is not limited to pilot skill. There are many factors beyond the pilots control. But the risk doesn’t change regardless of the pilot’s intent or skill.

I’ve been on top of that bridge numerous times. Used to eat lunch on the towers. I was a Ironworker for 40 years.

Reactions: macoman
I’ve been on top of that bridge numerous times. Used to eat lunch on the towers. I was a Ironworker for 40 years.
I would have a heart attack on the top of that bridge. I freak out on tall elevations.

So with all you righteous chitter chatter why is flying over bridges more dangerous than flying over city streets?

Righteous chatter? It's not righteous chatter, it's a reminder that there are rules in place and they exist to minimize the potential for injury. The issue isn't the bridge but the moving traffic. Whether over a bridge or over a street you're suppose to avoid flying over moving vehicles. Would moving over 50 feet or so to the left or right have ruined your shot? I don't think so and in the unlikely event there was a power loss or some other failure that slight movement right or left would have minimized the risk.

I've flown over a bridge and roads but I time the flight so I avoid flying over moving traffic. It's not that hard to do.

O.k., enough of my rant. You're an adult and you know the rules. I may not agree with all of the rules (should someone that lives 4.5 miles from an airport really be required to get FAA permission to fly below the tree line on their property) but this one (no flight over moving traffic) seems to be pretty reasonable and not one of those rules at the extremes of rule making.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnny760