DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight over bike race but not over the people

usaken

Reactions
Wondering about a situation where you have been asked to film a bicycle race. I realize we cannot fly above sporting events. Is it permissible to fly to one side of a bicycle race and not over spectators if you have been requested to video by the race sponsor. thanks

You're filming for a sponsor, no doubt for their marketing in some way ?
If so you are part 107 ?
It's very likely this would be needed for such filming, even if not being directly paid for the work.

You should know the rules for flying over people if holding that commercial drone licence, consider the rules for riders, officials, and spectators.
(Apologies if you do hold part 107, but you didn't mention it.)

You'd very likely need approval from the race organisers too, and they may want licenced and insured etc, particularly public liability insurance.

Wondering about a situation where you have been asked to film a bicycle race. I realize we cannot fly above sporting events. Is it permissible to fly to one side of a bicycle race and not over spectators if you have been requested to video by the race sponsor. thanks
Over here in Ireland it has to be 30 meters away from people and cant fly over them

You're filming for a sponsor, no doubt for their marketing in some way ?
If so you are part 107 ?
It's very likely this would be needed for such filming, even if not being directly paid for the work.

You should know the rules for flying over people if holding that commercial drone licence, consider the rules for riders, officials, and spectators.
(Apologies if you do hold part 107, but you didn't mention it.)

You'd very likely need approval from the race organisers too, and they may want licenced and insured etc, particularly public liability insurance.
Thanks, I take the 107 at the end of June. Studying hard but already a private pilot so not too hard. The race organizers are the ones contacting me. I would of course make a detailed plan of how I would steer clear of people, probably a bit complicated. I wonder how the drone pilots stay clear of the players during Super Bowl?

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Studying hard but already a private pilot so not too hard.

Should be very simple tick some other little boxes for you :)

Yep, just play by whatever rules there are in the US, pretty sure over people there is just that, not directly over . . . unlike a lot of countries where you must also stay away a certain lateral distance from people.

Good luck with the event and filming, maybe you can post up a bit of footage when / if you eventually do this.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hippysmavic