DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Floaters...

photo2be

Reactions
Hi, you who use "floaters" on your Mini2 have you noticed that the lens will be obstructed when you video or taking stillpics straight down? And will the floaters themselves be drained with water after a while and make the drone rest on the seafloor.

Last edited:
Hi, you who use "floaters" on your Mini2 have you noticed that the lens will be obstructed when you video or taking stillpics straight down? And will the floaters themselves be filled with water afte a while and make the drone go to the bottom?

Hello Photo2be:

I don’t have an answer for you about flying a Mini2 with pontoons - I thought this thread was going to be about all those black spots my old-man eyes see when looking at the sky! Can’t tell you how many times I thought there where crows up there….

Howard

I am not sure what floaters are you using. We have an expert on that topic here. I personally use the rescue jacket that is designed to keep the drone afloat over the water.

In order to prevent the water from going in floaters or even I use that in the rescue jacket I use a waterproofing spray.
I believe this can not be applied by the factory because is flammable and stink making it illegal to be shipped by manufacturers but you can apply that on your own. I am not sure if is approved by @Phantomrain.org but it works for me.

something like this Amazon.com: Sof Sole Waterproofer Spray for Shoes, Boots, and Jackets : Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry

Reactions: BigAl07
I am not sure what floaters are you using. We have an expert on that topic here. I personally use the rescue jacket that is designed to keep the drone afloat over the water.

In order to prevent the water from going in floaters or even I use that in the rescue jacket I use a waterproofing spray.
I believe this can not be applied by the factory because is flammable and stink making it illegal to be shipped by manufacturers but you can apply that on your own. I am not sure if is approved by @Phantomrain.org but it works for me.

something like this Amazon.com: Sof Sole Waterproofer Spray for Shoes, Boots, and Jackets : Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry
Hi Zeus! I have not bought floaters yet! Saw this a while ago. I want to be able to regulary land and take off from water.

Attachments

• float.jpg
    float.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 30
You might consider the Rescue Jacket as they do not fill with water, but allow you to stay afloat and are much more stream line in flight.

Here is the Mini 2 Rescue Jacket in action.
Phantomrain.org Gear to fly your Mini in the Rain, and Negotiate the Waters.

Reactions: Papa Beach
Hi Zeus! I have not bought floaters yet! Saw this a while ago. I want to be able to regulary land and take off from water.
I have floats like the ones you have in your picture..... they do not become waterlogged and work quite well. The trick is to balance them in your sink before trying them outside. The floats are able to be moved forward or back so you have to move them in their brace until the Mini 2 is balanced, then mark the correct location on the float with black magic marker.

The floats do not obscure the gimbal in any way. The bigger issue is how they affect the way the Mini 2 flies.... it takes some getting used to as they act as sails in the air. Make sure that all take offs and landings are straight up and down so the floats can't catch the water's surface and flip over.

I have never had a mishap with mine but there are a few videos online of disasters so take your time to learn the ins and outs.

Hi, you who use "floaters" on your Mini2 have you noticed that the lens will be obstructed when you video or taking stillpics straight down? And will the floaters themselves be drained with water after a while and make the drone rest on the seafloor.
I use the pontoons if flying over water and they work very well. I have the M2Z and don't really notice any performance issues at all. The only thing I don't like is that it has to be removed and put back on for each battery change because it clamps around the body right over the top of the battery. It's to bad DJI doesn't install several threaded inserts on the top & bottom of these for mounting accessories. The exception is the enterprise model, to mount the spotlight, speaker, and so on. The inserts could be used for landing gear, strobes, etc 🤔 Something made from metal can always be drilled & tapped but there's not much you can do to these in that regard.

The pontoons you're showing were a disaster on my mini 1 but don't know about the mini 2 with the extra power. I would not try them without care refresh. It does make recovery easier after you get dunked.

I use the pontoons if flying over water and they work very well. I have the M2Z and don't really notice any performance issues at all.
No performance issues at all?
That sounds very unlikely.
It's not hard to compare top speed with/without the attached floats.

OP, if trying pontoons (or other such), just be very aware of wind effects on flight, and reduced flight times.
They may be handy for limited flights, where the risk of water damage (or desire for drone recovery) may outweigh the risk of getting blown away, or battery depletion (distance) etc.

No performance issues at all?
That sounds very unlikely.
It's not hard to compare top speed with/without the attached floats.
I've flown with them many times and get about a 2 mph drop in speed, not a big deal to me as I seldom fly wide open. Again I fly the Mavic 2 and it has plenty of power. I have no idea about other models performance with this type of device.

I've flown with them many times and get about a 2 mph drop in speed, not a big deal to me as I seldom fly wide open. Again I fly the Mavic 2 and it has plenty of power. I have no idea about other models performance with this type of device.
What is the top speed that you get in normal mode with floats

What is the top speed that you get in normal mode with floats
It's at least 6 months since I flown with them, but I think it was 25 or 26 in P mode. But as I said I seldom fly wide open unless I'm doing a demo for someone, it's just not something I do. But am a fairly unusual breed indeed the way it seems, I also try to stay within VLOS. The floats do actually help for that purpose as well.

But as I said I seldom fly wide open unless I'm doing a demo for someone, it's just not something I do
OK .. Without comparing full speed with/without, there are no numbers to compare.

Hello Photo2be:

I don’t have an answer for you about flying a Mini2 with pontoons - I thought this thread was going to be about all those black spots my old-man eyes see when looking at the sky! Can’t tell you how many times I thought there where crows up there….

Howard
Me too. I am constantly swatting invisible bugs!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne