DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fluidity FT Aviator Feedback

Well, I finally got a chance (between TFR 's since Himself is in New Jersey and other duties) to throw together a vid of my experience with the FT Aviator. Totally un-edited, unscripted, and parts aren't in perfect synch, but you'll get the idea.

F.T. Aviator

Jake

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
lightbg

Can you add or reply to an on going chat like Ken Heron on the FT Aviator or other high read FT Aviator posts.
I think all would really
appreciate to see this posting...

lightbg

Can you add or reply to an on going chat like Ken Heron on the FT Aviator or other high read FT Aviator posts.
I think all would really
appreciate to see this posting...

I don’t want to open up that can of worms. I’m not a pro flier or hard core analyst, I just wanted to show that it doesn’t take a genius to make this device work.

I also have 2 additional reasons.

1- Nothing is going to change Ken’s mindset.

2 - I just want to build a little more traffic on my own YT channel, which is mostly my music vids.

I do appreciate the kind words, though.

Jake

I understand and can appreciate your position.
Thank you so much for your response and especially for posting your review for this new product.

Frank

Reactions: lightbg
I don't think worms very noticeable or effective while still in the can...?
I reconsidered and did post my vid to the Ken Heron thread and got no reaction.
Seems like this device polarizes the community into likes and dislikes regardless of hands on experience.

Jake

Your set up looks interesting.
If you don't mind could you describe what you have going on there.
I realize you were a musician so for starters you may be using a music stand as a base?

Your set up looks interesting.
If you don't mind could you describe what you have going on there.
I realize you were a musician so for starters you may be using a music stand as a base?
Go Here:
CABS
If you dont care to read through both pages, cut to the end and you'll see how I simplified everything.
I basically took a $20.00 mic stand, drilled a 5/8" hole in the base of the Skyreat tablet holder, and mounted it to the top of the stand. Zoom in on this pic and you'll see how the mount works ( the black ring is the locking nut):
414270468.jpg

Everything else I was already using, just with a neckstrap.
Hope this clarifies the setup.

Jake

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
I got mine last month. I have done a flight with the following.
Mavic Pro
Mavic 2 Zoom
Inspire 2

I have seen both of Kens reviews. Mine did not have the connection issue. Here is what I can say right now.

Pros:
Great case
Portable
Works with DJI Drones
Gives a bit more freedom to flying with more than 2 Axis at once. Ergnomicly great to hold and use.

Cons:
Does not replace the controller
Forces flying app to use this limiting those wanting to use other apps.
All camera functions are not active currently (can not Zoom with FT wheel) Scott assured me that A future patch will address that problem
I wish there was a little more thick plastic or aircraft grade allummim for the build. Seems like it might break if I breath on it wrong.
Main problem as I see it is TRUST. Pilots find it hard to trust in a setup not like others. So it will take some getting used to.

On the control side it seems even on turtle setting to go from 0-60 in no time flat. Needs more of a gradual increase in all directions as to not make the drone angle with thrust.

Conclusion:
A nice start and we can build from there. Flying with it in free form I was almost exciting lazy 8's but was not trusting so I stopped.

Price point could a bit cheaper because it is not a replacement but an extension of the controller.

I will post more as I test and will have vids and photos.

Will do. Working on fabrication now. I'm using the quick release 1/4x20 camera mount to very quickly snap the FT Aviator onto and off of the top of the tripod. The ball head is great for finding and setting the most comfortable position for the Aviator.
I too am looking for a tripod/table setup that has a secure table. I purchased a tripod which has a quick mount 1/4-20. I purchased a tripod table mount from Amazon. However, when the table is mounted on the quick mount, I'm not getting a "secure feeling" from the table, too much table slop when MA controller, tablet AND Aviator controller placed on top of table. Note, the table mount to quick release is only 1/4-20 so looking for something that will make the table more secure.

Reactions: DigitalDoyle
I finally got my Aviator and did some testing with it. I like it a lot. I did not have any connection issues nor did I have any of the jerky movement that Ken demonstrated in his 'review.' This method of control is very natural to me and I'm looking forward to using it.

I don't have any issues with holding the stick with my off hand and the button/control placement on it seems well thought out. I wish they had added a second custom button, but it isn't a big deal. The phone holder works, although it does seem a little flimsy. I'll likely attach a different holder using the tripod mount on the underside of the stick. The stick itself seems well built and I don't have any issues with its construction or build quality.

I'd agree that it's biggest cons are having to use the Fluidity app for flight and having to have the DJI controller connected. These were things I was aware of when I purchased it and I still feel it is well worth it.

I too am looking for a tripod/table setup that has a secure table. I purchased a tripod which has a quick mount 1/4-20. I purchased a tripod table mount from Amazon. However, when the table is mounted on the quick mount, I'm not getting a "secure feeling" from the table, too much table slop when MA controller, tablet AND Aviator controller placed on top of table. Note, the table mount to quick release is only 1/4-20 so looking for something that will make the table more secure.

The Manfrotto tripod I'm using has an aluminum collar below the 1/4 x 20 shoe, and my platform will be bolted to that collar for greater stability. I'll also be fabbing in braces underneath the platform to give it additional rigidity and strength. One thing I found very useful is that the Manfrotto tripod has legs with snap settings that can be splayed much further out than you'd normally use for a photo or video shoot. With the legs low and splayed way out, the tripod is much more stable and the center of gravity is much lower. I will also be hanging a weight bag (actually an ankle weight, but it works great) to the bottom center of the tripod for even more stability.

Still working on the design of the platform, as I'm still trying doing R&D to come up with a Goldilocks combination of devices that will successfully integrate the FT Aviator with the M2 RC (and Inspire 1 RC) and my Moviero BT35E AR glasses, and still run the apps I need. I tried to use a $100 Hyper Drive usb-c hub, but could not get to 100% joy no matter how I configured and connected the various devices. I could get 66% there, but not totally, as there was no way to successfully tap out the hdmi signal from the phone/RC connection and still have the Aviator connect successfully to the RC. Tried every possible combination and none would fully work.

Since the only remaining integration issue seems to be the hdmi connection that the BT35Es need, I ordered and had delivered yesterday a Simbans TangoTab 10" android tablet (yeah yeah, I never heard of them either, but read on...) that seems to have all the right ports and features I need... hdmi out for the BT35Es,, usb micro and usb A for connection options to the RCs, bluetooth for connection to the FT Aviator, and wifi and GPS for mission planning, map updating and running the 3 main apps I'll be using, (FT Aviator for non-programmed missions, Litchi for programmed missions, and DJI Go and Go4 because sometimes you need them).

Business is good and I had to write up and submit proposals all day yesterday, so the tablet got charged last night and is ready for R&D this morning. Have a project I have to deliver this morning, but after that I'll report back with verification and details as to whether or not this setup actually works. I'm a little concerned about the refresh rate on the tablet after having to abandon a Samsung TabA earlier this year and use my S9 phone instead, but this Simbans tablet has modern hardware and up to date android OS, and if it's even close to smooth, I'm hoping that it'll good enough for the kinds of projects I have planned. Best part is the price of the tablet is only around $130 USD, which I thought was way too low. When I unboxed it yesterday evening, it all looks very high quality and not cheap at all; better even than the brand name tablets I've owned. So I hope this thing works. Back with the results in a bit. [ Aerosmith's "Livin' on the Edge" is playing in my head right now. ;) ]

Hi All. Life got in the way, but I just got everything up and running at the same time using that tablet mentioned above and it does work! I have the M2 RC connected to the tablet, the tablet's hdmi out port connected to the Moviero BT35Es, and a usb-c cable connecting the BT35Es to the tablet to serve as the BT's power supply, (so I don't have to buy a separate one), and I can see the FT Aviator app in the BT35Es and can control the M2Z's gimbal with the front rocker on the FT Aviator! Woot! The display on the tablet is a little laggy, but I'm about to head out to the park and give it a test. I think it might be good enough until I can find a better solution. Will report back on results.

Reactions: Dragonfish
Not sure if I'm doing this correctly, but here goes... This was shot 2019-08-10 and it's my first five minutes with the FT Aviator, and just the 3rd flight of my M2V. No edits, other than scaling the 4K footage to 1080 and re-encoding save some bandwidth. Factory camera settings, because I haven't finished reading the manual yet. Pretty much a complete newbie's first experience with this rig.

That is just impressive - I don't know what else to say.

Reactions: Dragonfish
I find it interesting that some are willing to spend serious money on the smart controller to have a quicker setup with less stuff and some are willing to spend serious money and fabricate stuff to have an even more convoluted setup.

Different strokes for different folks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143