DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly App 1.2.2 Adds Attitude Indicator

May be you should learn how to use it in the first place ?
I have found nothing out there that will enlighten me as to what it does to assist me. And I have looked a lot! The old one on the other hand was a great help.

I have found nothing out there that will enlighten me as to what it does to assist me. And I have looked a lot! The old one on the other hand was a great help.
It tells me two things :

(1) whether the antenna of the controller is facing the drone.
(2) whether the drone is heading towards me when I want to bring in back.

It tells me two things :

(1) whether the antenna of the controller is facing the drone.
(2) whether the drone is heading towards me when I want to bring in back.
Interesting.. when my controller is facing the drone the indicator shows it 90 degrees off. And both those things and more I can assess from the map.

Interesting.. when my controller is facing the drone the indicator shows it 90 degrees off. And both those things and more I can assess from the map.
What you can't access from the map is the attitude of the drone and relative wind speed and direction. These can be derived from the new indicator.

What you can't access from the map is the attitude of the drone and relative wind speed and direction. These can be derived from the new indicator.
The attitude as far as which way it is "leaning"? I don't fly in windy conditions anyway, what is more important to me is where in the sky is it if I lose it behind the tree tops or something, and what direction it is facing. The old indicator told me exactly that, and so does the map. But that's me.

Reactions: laaubin
The arrow from the blue dot comes from the compass in your device. Some ideas:
  • Does your device have a compass?
  • Have you calibrated your device by rotating it in a figure 8?
  • Is your device properly switching the compass to landscape from portrait? I've had this happen a few times which can throw off compass indicator by 90 degrees.
For me the new attitude indicator does everything the old one did, plus it gives additional information.

The arrow from the blue dot comes from the compass in your device. Some ideas:
  • Does your device have a compass?
  • Have you calibrated your device by rotating it in a figure 8?
  • Is your device properly switching the compass to landscape from portrait? I've had this happen a few times which can throw off compass indicator by 90 degrees.
For me the new attitude indicator does everything the old one did, plus it gives additional information.
I'm glad you like it, I just no longer use it.

Interesting.. when my controller is facing the drone the indicator shows it 90 degrees off.
That's because the compass of the phone is not calibrated. If you have "looked a lot", I wonder if you have looked at youtube videos on the subject. This is just one of them :

And both those things and more I can assess from the map.
the map is just another presentation. If the orientation indication of the controller is off by 90 degrees, the same error will show up on the map. I never use the map because it takes up too much space of the screen.

That's because the compass of the phone is not calibrated. If you have "looked a lot", I wonder if you have looked at youtube videos on the subject. This is just one of them :

the map is just another presentation. If the orientation indication of the controller is off by 90 degrees, the same error will show up on the map. I never use the map because it takes up too much space of the screen.
But he is discussing the old useful indicator. And I'll look into the compass on my iPad next time I'm out and check

And to drop the map and go back to live view is just the poke of the Fn button.

Last edited:
The Fly app doesn't work on the Crystalsky. The Fly app is 64 bit and the Crystalsky has a 32 bit processor.
CS is really just a monitor with active touch screen controls... the regular controller is required. CCS just issue commands. Anyway my M2P flies well with it while taking video in 4K... no stuttering, etc.

Reactions: WobblingWillie
CS is really just a monitor with active touch screen controls... the regular controller is required. CCS just issue commands. Anyway my M2P flies well with it while taking video in 4K... no stuttering, etc.
Absolutely. I have both CS's and love them with my M2 Zoom and my MA1.

Reactions: Thomas B
The attitude indicator gives you a 360 degree view while the orientation indicator only showed 180 degrees in front of you, with only a notification if it is somewhere behind you.

I believe if DJI has it that you can change the attitude indicator perspective, that is what object is represented in the center, then everyone can be happy.

AC perspective is great for lining up the AC to head back to you/AC, but RC perspective helps you face the AC if you need to. Both have a purpose.

But map view with it set to heads up will give you RC perspective and has been there for years.

Man, disappointed they removed the orientation indicator. That made it so easy to correctly point the remote at the drone. Seems like a step backwards to me. Also, it looked way better centered at the bottom of the screen.

Reactions: Sjkieffer and A.O.
Man, disappointed they removed the orientation indicator. That made it so easy to correctly point the remote at the drone. Seems like a step backwards to me. Also, it looked way better centered at the bottom of the screen.
Absolutely !!

This just shows how us humans are "creatures of habit". There are tons of posts on here an other forums how some people (people used to the Go App) would never buy an Air 2 because the Fly App didn't have more advanced fatures such as the Attitude indicator. And even those that did buy it, complained that the Fly App was no good, and that was one of the reasons....So DJI listened to their customers and change the App to be more like the Go, and now a bunch of people who didn't use the Go App, are complaining and wondering why DJI took away what they thought was a simple way of doing things.

DJI tried to simplify the Fly App, presenting less information, making it more user friendly for beginners (or "non-experts") Their existing user base was used to the "more is better" approach of information, even if more complicated to use. Those types of people complained, so they are now making it more like the Go App and adding back in some of the advanced information.

Personally, I could go either way. I appreciated the simplicity of the Fly App, and the fact that it was cleaner and a little more user-friendly. That said, It took me a while to get used to not having/using the old-style orientation and attitude indicator. So I did miss it.

Unfortunately, DJI is in the position of not being able to please everyone. People liked what they were used to, it making changes mid-stream causes some angst. Hopefully everyone who prefers the old method, gets used to the newer (or actually older) method, and DJI continues to tweak it to be a little easier to use.

This just shows how us humans are "creatures of habit". There are tons of posts on here an other forums how some people (people used to the Go App) would never buy an Air 2 because the Fly App didn't have more advanced fatures such as the Attitude indicator. And even those that did buy it, complained that the Fly App was no good, and that was one of the reasons....So DJI listened to their customers and change the App to be more like the Go, and now a bunch of people who didn't use the Go App, are complaining and wondering why DJI took away what they thought was a simple way of doing things.

DJI tried to simplify the Fly App, presenting less information, making it more user friendly for beginners (or "non-experts") Their existing user base was used to the "more is better" approach of information, even if more complicated to use. Those types of people complained, so they are now making it more like the Go App and adding back in some of the advanced information.

Personally, I could go either way. I appreciated the simplicity of the Fly App, and the fact that it was cleaner and a little more user-friendly. That said, It took me a while to get used to not having/using the old-style orientation and attitude indicator. So I did miss it.

Unfortunately, DJI is in the position of not being able to please everyone. People liked what they were used to, it making changes mid-stream causes some angst. Hopefully everyone who prefers the old method, gets used to the newer (or actually older) method, and DJI continues to tweak it to be a little easier to use.
You are probably correct, and again, that new attitude indicator to me is worthless so I just don't use it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RYNOGOD