DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FLY-app power consumption

Slimfreak

Reactions
Can anybody explain why sometimes there is so much difference in power consumption of my device using the FLY-app. Usually the device looses about 15% power during a 25 minutes flight. Occasionally I cannot make 3 flights (more than 35% consumption per flight). Moreover the device is getting fairly warm. Before taking off, I remove all other apps in the background, and turn off mobile data and Wifi. There is also no noticeable difference in power consumption while recording or not.

the app is quite power hungry when in use have you tried turning off cache to device so the pics are not recorded on your device

if you are using an android phone, it charges the phone from the controller. I use an dji go 4 , with an ipad pro tablet. I can tell the software not to charge the device, but the android software you cant stop it charging

I am using an iPhone SE and cache while recording is turned off. The real problem is its unpredictable power consumption, really annoying!!

yep on android is quite consuming the app...3 batteries easily drain 40% or more for some 60 min. no matter the RC is charging the phone.Overall not very convincing at the moment with all the crashes and issues.

Can anybody explain why sometimes there is so much difference in power consumption of my device using the FLY-app. Usually the device looses about 15% power during a 25 minutes flight. Occasionally I cannot make 3 flights (more than 35% consumption per flight). Moreover the device is getting fairly warm. Before taking off, I remove all other apps in the background, and turn off mobile data and Wifi. There is also no noticeable difference in power consumption while recording or not.

If you are using an Android device. (I use a 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab (SM-T290) & Lekufee DJI Tablet Holder ).

As others have mentioned your phone/tablet draws power from the MC when MC is turned on. Picture shows the solution. When the MC is turned off both it and your phone/tablet will charge. (In my case this is QC2.0). The phone/tablet will draw charge from the power bank within the confines of the phone/tablet and power bank limits. Sometimes after turning on the MC you have to unplug the power and re-plug to make the Fly app connection.

An added advantage of Hot Gluing your micro usb to the body of the MC is there will be no risk of damaging the ridiculous interface that DJI made.

I run my Samsung tab 8 at max brightness and it stays charged at 100%. After going through all 3 Mini batteries it's MC is still over half charged. On a bench test of one hour: no battery; MC drained to one light and with power bank to 75%, (three solid lights).

Attachments

• MC OTG.jpg
    MC OTG.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 1 hour with fly and mini.jpg
    1 hour with fly and mini.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
My Android device Samsung Galaxy A40 just spend 5% battery juice per Mavic Mini flight (about 25 minutes airborne)

Of course, it drains power from Mavic Mini controller. About 25% per flight.

R.

@CareyL I thought it was the android device that drew current from the controller, not the controller drawing current from the android device, as I understand your post to imply?! When I plug my android phone into the controller it says the phone is charging.

@CareyL I thought it was the android device that drew current from the controller, not the controller drawing current from the android device, as I understand your post to imply?! When I plug my android phone into the controller it says the phone is charging.
You are correct and did I ever get that sentence bass ackwards. It is now corrected.

Reactions: scro
I guess a lot of the power draw depends on how bright your MD screen is while you fly... and in my case I can report VERY bright.
Yet I think the power consumption is normal... I have no problem with it.

I guess a lot of the power draw depends on how bright your MD screen is while you fly... and in my case I can report VERY bright.
Yet I think the power consumption is normal... I have no problem with it.
A Mavic Mini does not display anything except up to 4 dots on it's MC. (This is a Mavic Mini sub-forum).

@CareyL I was referring to the Fly app power consumption question, so that contemplates the Mobile Device.
I was not referring to the Remote Controller.

your controller is suppling 2 lots of power the controller its self and the mobile device , so depending on the device and brightness it will vary

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54