DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly Away Warranty

tanner778

Reactions
I just got an email from DJI promoting Fly Away coverage. In the last month I purchased a DJI Mini 2, a Mavic Air 2 and an OM4. I like DJI products. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed at the pricing on the fly away insurance. I thought I had that when I paid for the DJI Care. It seems strange to me to ask for what is likely more than the cost of production for a replacement drone as insurance if it flies off on you. Maybe I'm wrong, but if something flies off on you isn't that an actual flaw in the product?

I know it's cliche and doesn't really apply, but using the car analogy. If I buy a car and the dealer says "oh, by the way, your car might inexplicably drive off on its own one day, but don't worry we have insurance for that." Seems weird. Especially when that insurance is half the price of the car.

I know I may be oversimplifying this, but isn't the logic sound? Am I missing something?

T.

Last edited:
@tanner778 ,in the past if you had care refresh for your drone ,you could only use it to get a replacement if you had the damaged drone to send back to DJI for them to inspect then based on what they found they would send you a replacement
if the drone was not recoverable ,because it was at the bottom of the sea,or lake, or had been lost then the refresh was not valid,sometimes it was possible to get a replacement ,if the logs proved it was a fault with the drone that caused the loss.
this new idea is so that a replacement drone can be sent ,if a care refresh claim is submitted without a drone to send back ,but you will have to pay a reduced charge for it

Last edited:
Maybe I'm wrong, but if something flies off on you isn't that an actual flaw in the product?
It could happen due to an actual flaw in the product, but the ones I see on mavicpilots.com are mostly due to attempts to fly in winds beyond the drone's capability.

There is no way to make a small aircraft capable of flying in all possible winds.

Some people compound the problem by flying at the edge of radio range (another thing that is inherently limited) and setting the loss of signal action to attempt to return to home at an altitude where the winds are too high.

These GPS stabilized drones are amazingly stable and easy to fly under normal circumstances, making it easy to ignore the effects of wind until things get bad. I suspect we'd see fewer flyaways if they lacked stabilization, but they wouldn't be as effective as photography platforms, and they'd get blown into obstacles more.

It could happen due to an actual flaw in the product, but the ones I see on mavicpilots.com are mostly due to attempts to fly in winds beyond the drone's capability.

There is no way to make a small aircraft capable of flying in all possible winds.

Some people compound the problem by flying at the edge of radio range (another thing that is inherently limited) and setting the loss of signal action to attempt to return to home at an altitude where the winds are too high.

These GPS stabilized drones are amazingly stable and easy to fly under normal circumstances, making it easy to ignore the effects of wind until things get bad. I suspect we'd see fewer flyaways if they lacked stabilization, but they wouldn't be as effective as photography platforms, and they'd get blown into obstacles more.
I don't understand people flying drones to the limit. First off, you are supposed to keep the drone in line of sight. Secondly, people are pretty ballsy taking a thousand-dollar drone and flying it to the very limit of its flight distance. I get nervous every time I fly my drones. I keep them in sight BECAUSE I don't want to risk losing it or searching for it if it downs miles away from me. I guess some people have money to lose on asinine challenges like testing distance specs on their drones. For most of us, however, asking for such a large some for replacement of a drone if it takes off during normal use seems a bit harsh.

I just got an email from DJI promoting Fly Away coverage. In the last month I purchased a DJI Mini 2, a Mavic Air 2 and an OM4. I like DJI products. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed at the pricing on the fly away insurance. I thought I had that when I paid for the DJI Care. It seems strange to me to ask for what is likely more than the cost of production for a replacement drone as insurance if it flies off on you. Maybe I'm wrong, but if something flies off on you isn't that an actual flaw in the product?

I know it's cliche and doesn't really apply, but using the car analogy. If I buy a car and the dealer says "oh, by the way, your car might inexplicably drive off on its own one day, but don't worry we have insurance for that." Seems weird. Especially when that insurance is half the price of the car.

I know I may be oversimplifying this, but isn't the logic sound? Am I missing something?

T.

First off WELCOME to the forum :)

In your scenario.... what if you left the car running in your drive way and in DRIVE. You step out, turn your back and the car drives away.... Operator Error... Do you contact the car manufacturer for your mistake? I'd say probably not. Same goes for flying modern UAS.

Most UAS Fly Aways are the result of Operator Error... either bad judgement in WHEN to fly or making bad decisions on HOW and WHERE to fly. It's very low percentile of the "Crash & Fly Aways" that are actually Manufacturer error.

I don't understand people flying drones to the limit.
You and me both.

Though to be fair, it's not always obvious how close you are to the limit until you've exceeded it. That's especially true of the wind limit. The winds aloft may be very different from the winds where you are, and the drone seems to hover well until suddenly it doesn't.

You have to check the weather. It may help to pay attention to the drone's pitch as you yaw it around at altitude, to get an idea of how hard it's having to fight the wind.

And NEVER make a long flight downwind, expecting the drone to easily come home upwind when the battery gets low.

DJI won't charge you a replacement if the AC is lost or damaged due to a failure covered under warranty.

I don't see what the big deal is. DJI sold you a insurance policy with a clause that said, no drone...sorry Charlie...we keep your money you paid for the insurance and you forfeit cost spent on your new drone. Noting post above if it was their fault it's all on them anyway. Now they undid that clause and retroactive (no additional fee) to that insurance cost add in they will give you a new drone at cost to replace...yet people complain?

There are quite a few posts in this site where people have asked after they lost and couldn't recover their drones if DJI would do this very thing and sell them a Drone only. I guess there is no pleasing some people? Nobody is forcing anyone to use that option, don't like it...just go back to the way it was when you bought your policy and get nothing...that is what you paid for was it not? :oops:

Reactions: old man mavic
I got the email yesterday also and thought for sure the $399 price tag was a misprint or there was something I didn't understand about it.
To me, that price is laughable when I pay $60/year for that coverage and more (ie if it's stolen).

Last edited:
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz

T.
I got the same EMail. Then I read the details. The price for CareRefresh is pretty reasonable. Then there is a fee to be paid ONLY for damage repair or replacement and a larger fee to be paid ONLY to replace the drone if it is lost. All seems pretty reasonable to me. I do not currently have CareRefresh, but am now considering it.

I got the email yesterday also and thought for sure the $399 price tag was a misprint or there was something I didn't understand about it.
To me, that price is laughable when I pay $60/year for that coverage and more (ie if it's stolen).
Perhaps laughable if you got the coverage from State Farm, what about the rest of the world who don't have that option? What about CA residents who can't get the coverage here in the States?

Perhaps laughable if you got the coverage from State Farm, what about the rest of the world who don't have that option? What about CA residents who can't get the coverage here in the States?
I apologize, I thought anyone could get a personal property policy on it pretty much anywhere...I had to do some research but surely there's a more reasonably priced policy available somewhere.
I'll shut up now bc it seems some think it is indeed reasonable.

I don't understand people flying drones to the limit. First off, you are supposed to keep the drone in line of sight. Secondly, people are pretty ballsy taking a thousand-dollar drone and flying it to the very limit of its flight distance. I get nervous every time I fly my drones. I keep them in sight BECAUSE I don't want to risk losing it or searching for it if it downs miles away from me. I guess some people have money to lose on asinine challenges like testing distance specs on their drones. For most of us, however, asking for such a large some for replacement of a drone if it takes off during normal use seems a bit harsh.
Could not have said it better!!!!!

WDK

i use coverdrone around £70 ,1 million 3rd party and full flyaway /crash /accidental damage ect .
sod paying dji the extortionate amount they want ,,,ridiculous. just quoted on coverdrone for mavic mini 2 £44.24 !!

You and me both.

Though to be fair, it's not always obvious how close you are to the limit until you've exceeded it. That's especially true of the wind limit. The winds aloft may be very different from the winds where you are, and the drone seems to hover well until suddenly it doesn't.
While that limit may not be obvious for some, VLOS for me is 308 meters, wind 25 mph max, start returning home by 40% battery and land at around 30%. I am sure most anyone with an MP zoom or Pro would verify that those numbers are well within the aircrafts limits barring mechanical failure.

Fly safe and responsible.

WDK

Reactions: NG Wildman
Is CA preventing insurance companies from selling personal property riders or preventing them from selling them only for Drones? either way, just another reason not to live in that state IMHO..

Reactions: kidroc
I think fly away insurance won't pay for a drone at the bottom of a lake due to pilot error. I think DJI will examine the flight logs and determine whether or not the drown did indeed 'fly away'.

I think fly away insurance won't pay for a drone at the bottom of a lake due to pilot error. I think DJI will examine the flight logs and determine whether or not the drown did indeed 'fly away'.
I guess you need to go read up on it because that is exactly what DJI Care does offer. It isn't a warranty that needs logs, it is a no holds, don't care what happened, insurance policy with a policy payment cost and a deductible repair or the new higher replacement deductible plan all rolled into one. However that said, if you can prove that it was a warranty issue in anyway, then the whole dime is indeed on DJI to cover if within the factory warranty period and that clause/side of things. Two separate things not related.

While that limit may not be obvious for some, VLOS for me is 308 meters, wind 25 mph max, start returning home by 40% battery and land at around 30%. I am sure most anyone with an MP zoom or Pro would verify that those numbers are well within the aircrafts limits barring mechanical failure.

Fly safe and responsible.

WDK
I fly a M2Z and I would say your spot on, that is why I chose when and where I fly and don't need no stink'n insurance or Care refresh option...I make the call, I either made the right call or pay the price :p They didn't offer this stuff when I learned to fly, that is how I learned to fly...responsible and no frills...I do go out a bit more than I should though...at least I am honest and trust my abilities and aircraft though ;)

I certainly am not a "Here hold my beer" while I unbox my MA2 and shoot it 2 miles out over a lake kinda guy. :p Unfortunately "we" have to many CCP's (Credit Card Pilots) these days....that is what I call newbies who have more cents than sense. :confused: :cool:

Reactions: rp6 and normanh2
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS