DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly in the city?

JC_Wang

Reactions
I asked FAA whether I can fly over the building or across the street in the city. They told me "you may not fly over moving vehicles, or directly over people". I understand flying over people is extremely dangerous, however if I fly across the street, it may fly over moving vehicles sometimes for sure. Does it mean I can't fly the small UAS in teh city?

I asked FAA whether I can fly over the building or across the street in the city. They told me "you may not fly over moving vehicles, or directly over people". I understand flying over people is extremely dangerous, however if I fly across the street, it may fly over moving vehicles sometimes for sure. Does it mean I can't fly the small UAS in teh city?

You can do what you want but : when your flying over people or cars your risking lives , we know that drones that drop out of the sky more than we really would like to say, so its one thing to go past VLOS under excellent conditions but not many us will put lives in danger like that.

This is one of the reasons why we dont use the parachutes as you may be in a good area with no cars but after the chute deploys it may blow directly into on coming cars on the highway. You will also find that the video you post will most likely be subjected to some negativity. Its a huge risk with very little reward. .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Drone in and out of the storm
Coal

You seem to be starting a lot of threads about questions that you asked the FAA, and FAA actions. Firstly - maybe just one thread would have been more efficient and, secondly, have you read the applicable regulations? Those are definitive - much more definitive than the random answers that you seem to be getting from whomever you are talking to at the FAA.

You can fly in the city if you don’t fly over people are moving cars and follow all the other rules

It means that you should wait for no traffic or people below before you fly across the road. If the road is very busy, that might not be possible and thus you shouldn't be flying across that road at all. (for example, a major highway)

It means that you should wait for no traffic or people below before you fly across the road. If the road is very busy, that might not be possible and thus you shouldn't be flying across that road at all. (for example, a major highway)
How about the people are sitting in the parked car that I can't spot them?

It's not illegal to fly over parked cars, just moving ones.

That is one perfect example of a Grey area

• Love
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Part 107 is pretty clear on this:

§ 107.39 Operation over human beings.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft over a human being unless that human being is:

(a) Directly participating in the operation of the small unmanned aircraft; or

(b) Located under a covered structure or inside a stationary vehicle that can provide reasonable protection from a falling small unmanned aircraft.

Reactions: sar104
I think I recal reading that parked car is ok

It's 107.39:

§107.39 Operation over human beings.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft over a human being unless that human being is:​
(a) Directly participating in the operation of the small unmanned aircraft; or​
(b) Located under a covered structure or inside a stationary vehicle that can provide reasonable protection from a falling small unmanned aircraft.​

I suppose the rationale is that a moving car would cause more damage

What kind of damage will a parked car cause?
That was the OP’s question is there a difference if someone is in the car I would say if a 2 pound mavic fell on a person sitting in a car whether it be a convertible or a windshield that might kill him

That was the OP’s question is there a difference if someone is in the car I would say if a 2 pound mavic fell on a person sitting in a car whether it be a convertible or a windshield that might kill him

A convertible obviously doesn't meet the requirement - did you not read 107.39 that I quoted above? As for going through the windshield, a Mavic is unlikely to do that just from falling, but if you were flying something more massive then you would have to consider whether the situation satisfied the requirement: "...inside a stationary vehicle that can provide reasonable protection from a falling small unmanned aircraft."

Reactions: Ex Coelis
A convertible obviously doesn't meet the requirement - did you not read 107.39 that I quoted above? As for going through the windshield, a Mavic is unlikely to do that just from falling, but if you were flying something more massive then you would have to consider whether the situation satisfied the requirement: "...inside a stationary vehicle that can provide reasonable protection from a falling small unmanned aircraft."
I read that but it still is not common sense, what is the difference between a person in a moving car and a person in a parked car? Tumi a moving car with the driver getting struck could cause more additional damage that is the only rationale I see

I read that but it still is not common sense, what is the difference between a person in a moving car and a person in a parked car? Tumi a moving car with the driver getting struck could cause more additional damage that is the only rationale I see

The concern is more that an unexpected drone falling on a moving car could cause a severe accident. That concern isn't there when the car is parked.

The concern is more that an unexpected drone falling on a moving car could cause a severe accident. That concern isn't there when the car is parked.
That is what I am saying

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan