DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flyaway Mavic 2 Pro

Hello @sar104 ... I wonder if you might take a look at my records to see if there's any reason my Mavic 2 Pro disappeared last week. I tried to read my .dat files with DatCon, but they won't open (not compatible with Mavic 2?).

At the end of this final flight, I abruptly lost connection, and the M2P was never seen again. The signal was compromised due to me inadvertently flying behind a building, but I'm wondering why RTH was not activated.

I received the usual response from DJI saying that everything looked normal (full GPS, home point set) until the disconnect, but since there's no data after I lost connection, they can only offer a 30% discount (even though I have Care Refresh).
Thank you very much.

Failsafe RTH would have been activated if the only problem had been that you flew behind the building, and the M2 would have retraced its path and regained signal. Unfortunately I don't think it just flew behind the building, I think it flew into the building - the 60th floor of the John Hancock building to be precise. At signal loss it was flying on a heading of 259° at 12.1 m/s (27 mph). Extrapolating that flight path forwards 3 seconds hits the building, which it would not have been able to avoid since collision avoidance was off because it was dark.

Talk to the security personel at the building and ask if anyone has reported a found Mavic. Just tell them the situation and be totally honest and forthright. It goes along way.

Yes. I am most disappointed that you could not even realise that those two lines of DAT code were the same????
@Bud walker can you please endeavour to implement 'sar104' as a condition in Datcon processing???
If you get it right???!! You just enter the info and it spits out a ticket!!
Present that at your local DJI shop... and they give you a new one!

I’m most disappointed that you felt the need to call him out for it!!!

???

I’m most disappointed that you felt the need to call him out for it!!!

???
My post was in jest.
I speak to @sar104 personally, off the main pages, often.
If I didn't think that his sense of humour would get it, I would not have posted.
I have the greatest respect in the world for this man.
Ynksfan27 I'm sorry I dissappointed you.....

Reactions: TR Ganey
The DAT file event stream contains an error I've now seen 4 times, every time followed by a disconnect and aircraft failure. DJI replaced the aircraft in at least one of those cases:

136.599 : {task_e}INFO:i2c3 core recovery||
136.599 : 7488 [L-BATTERY][ERROR] CMD_BUTTON_STATUS error||

Do we know if the aircraft getting this problem were all running same firmware, or were multiple firmware builds involved?

As a new user, I'm often advised to 'not upgrade DJI firmware if the one you have works' but there are reasons why manufacturers upgrade firmware - like eliminating bugs like this - so it would be good to know if all these failures were of same build or not.

Do we know if the aircraft getting this problem were all running same firmware, or were multiple firmware builds involved?

As a new user, I'm often advised to 'not upgrade DJI firmware if the one you have works' but there are reasons why manufacturers upgrade firmware - like eliminating bugs like this - so it would be good to know if all these failures were of same build or not.

It turns out that this is usually related to a battery error in SMART_BATTERY:status of "BatteryCommunicationError" indicating that the battery is incorrectly latched or making poor contact. That error didn't appear this time, but it may be because the power was lost before it was set.

It turns out that this is usually related to a battery error in SMART_BATTERY:status of "BatteryCommunicationError" indicating that the battery is incorrectly latched or making poor contact. That error didn't appear this time, but it may be because the power was lost before it was set.

Where in the logs does it say what the firmware xx is? I cant find any reference in the logs to a firmware-like number ie 1.04.0500

Just read the details of this post, and there are a lot of similarities with my loss yesterday -

Now that I am looking around on the forums, I am beginning to wonder if there is a common theme here....similar failures in similar conditions???

Yes, I have found many many almost identical incidents where the Mavic 2 pros have ceased operating. One being my drone. I was lucky enough to have the help of people here to get a replacement. But the fact that this is happening so often is perplexing. DJI must know something but gave nit come forward yet. I do not trust my drone any more which is very sad.

I recently went back close to the location where I had my Mavic 2 fail and drop out of the sky into the ocean. This was about 2 months after loosing the first drone. It is still within a number of Amber zones (3x), which do not prohibit flight but require certain actions from the operator in the event of a manned aircraft being identified, such as landing. Upon Starting the Mavic 2, a warning box comes up and reiterates the information which can be found in apps such as Can I fly there. DJI's warning says that as a result of being in this location (5km of a non controlled airport) you could likely experience failed of RTH, loss of controller connectivity, and Flyaway issues.

This flys in the face of DJI's claims about their Ocusync Technology. DJI also claimed that this was also the reason my drone had disappeared initially and it was operator error before it came to light that there was a fault with the drone in which they replaced it in full. Although they have not released the exact reason the drone had a sudden mid air failure, it was a very good response from DJI.

My questions is, DJI claimed that there could have been interruptions to the connection between the aircraft and the remote. According to the DJI website the FHSS system that DJI employs the ocusync technology and is designed to: ”withstand signal interference, bringing smooth and stable wireless connections. Narrower communication channels effectively reduce possible signal interference from other devices using the same 2.4 GHz frequency band, so more devices can continue functioning in the same space without interference from each other. Just connect your drone and experience smooth flight control with amazing responsiveness.” copied from the DJI websit.

I am interested in others view on this. Is DJI putting in a warning that they will use to negate any claims in the future, and are their claims about the FHSS system and ocusyncs ability to remain stable in high congestion areas simply a load of rubbish?

I am interested in others view on this. Is DJI putting in a warning that they will use to negate any claims in the future, and are their claims about the FHSS system and ocusyncs ability to remain stable in high congestion areas simply a load of rubbish?
Occusynch is what helps to maintain connection to your drone and it's proved to be very good at that.
But it is not what keeps your propellers spinning and your drone in the air.
Your problem had nothing to do with the radio communications and everything to do with a sudden loss of power.

According to the DJI website the FHSS system that DJI employs the ocusync technology and is designed to: ”withstand signal interference, bringing smooth and stable wireless connections. Narrower communication channels effectively reduce possible signal interference from other devices using the same 2.4 GHz frequency band, so more devices can continue functioning in the same space without interference from each other. Just connect your drone and experience smooth flight control with amazing responsiveness.”
I think you answered your own question. DJI designed it to withstand interference -- or offer strong resistance against it. It's certainly not failproof though. DJI would be out of business if they guaranteed that every drone that took off would land back at the home point.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair