DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flyaway with Flight Log/PLEASE HELP

Scott Pollock

Reactions
I unfortunately lost my drone to the ocean while visiting the Algarve in Portugal a few days ago after only having it for a few days.
I was wondering if someone could have a look at my flight record below and let me know if this was all user error?
At one point it said to return to home so I accepted and swiped to do so and then 5 seconds later it told me it was landing. I tried and tried to get it to the nearest cliff but it just didnt make it :(

Thanks in advance.

Scott

I'm not an expert in reading logs, but even I am able to see multiple mistakes that you made during the flight.

It looks like you took off and flew over the ocean without a full battery. That's already never a good idea to begin with.

It also looks like you were flying almost 800 feet up in the air. The winds at altitude can often be quite stronger than the winds on the ground, and according to the logs your drone was struggling with high winds the entire time. (additionally, the regulations in most countries limit you legally to 400 feet maximum. Something you should always keep in mind because air traffic is often at 500 feet and above, and can be even lower over bodies of water or other sparsely populated places)

You also continued flying at a considerable distance even though your battery was getting quite low. At 3:24, you had a warning that the battery only was enough to return home. However you didn't initiate a return to home for almost 2 minutes after that.

Basically you were flying too high and too far away for the little amount of battery you had. The drone's RTH algorithms aren't aware of wind conditions so they have no way of knowing that the RTH will take even longer than predicted.

More like blown away.
Sorry, but flying that high and that FAR, and downwind at probably 55-60 mph ground speed (40 ambient plus drone airspeed) on half a battery.... a combination under which you’d likely never make it home against the wind anyway.
Over land, maybe you’d find it.
Over water, a series of cascading errors result in a tragic and costly loss. Lesson learned for all of us .
Ouch.

Reactions: awsan5
Sorry for your loss, but thanks for being open enough to share this. You bring together in one flight, just about every ‘don’t do that’ example for others to learn from. Very expensive lesson you’ve given to others.

Last edited:
I unfortunately lost my drone to the ocean while visiting the Algarve in Portugal a few days ago after only having it for a few days.
I was wondering if someone could have a look at my flight record below and let me know if this was all user error?
At one point it said to return to home so I accepted and swiped to do so and then 5 seconds later it told me it was landing. I tried and tried to get it to the nearest cliff but it just didnt make it
The Mavic is very easy to fly and the problem with that is that it can encourage a new flyer to get too adventurous too early.
There are a lot of things that can go wrong and you need to know these and how to make sure they don't cause a problem for you.

Flying over the ocean is good because there is nothing to hit, but it is a very unforgiving environment.
One mistake out there can mean that the fun stops.

Losing a drone can provide expensive lessons, but studying the data to see what went wrong can give useful lessons that tend to be remembered.
You can better see the problems with this flight by viewing the data here: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
The obvious problems were launching with a battery at 57% and flying away in the direction that a strong wind was blowing.
By flying off downwind, you have already chosen a difficult flight home against a strong headwind.
It's like rowing in a river. If there's no current it doesn't matter which direction you swim.
But if the current is strong, rowing upstream means you should have no problem coming home.
Go downstream and .... you get the picture.

In post #2 look closely at the windspeeds and the altitudes.
You'll see that at higher altitudes, the wind was stronger.
It was easily manageable at 80 ft but too strong for the drone to fly against 780 feet up.

There was an important warning message at 3:24.9 that said: The remaining battery is only enough for RTH. Return home now
Battery level was 39%.
If you had turned towards home at that point and descended to 50 feet above the sea to get out of the strong upper winds, you had a good chance of getting the Mavic back.
Instead of flying a little west of north, you pointed the drone toward the northeast, flying further away until 5:51.2 when you engaged RTH with the battery at 24%.
It probably didn't matter much after that point you left RTH to do the driving but RTH is a slow driver and the drone was only making 4-5mph in the direction of home.
At 6:04.9 (battery 22%), you cancelled and took over and pointed the drone to the northeast again.
Making slow headway, you tried Sport Mode but the small extra speed it gave only burned the battery faster.

You tried RTH again at 7:02.5, leaving RTH to do the driving again.
It made painfully slow progress against the headwind until at 7:28.6 (battery 12%), the drone began to autoland.
It does that when the battery won't get it home and there is only enough for the landing.
On land that's better than flying till empty and crashing but at sea, it doesn't make much difference.
You fought the autolanding with full left and right stick.
As the drone descended, the forward speed increased (lower altitude = lower wind strength) but it was too late.
At 9:21.3 the battery reached Critical Low Voltage (3.3 volts per cell), pushing the left and right sticks further, drained the battery to zero and it was all over.

I'm not an expert in reading logs, but even I am able to see multiple mistakes that you made during the flight.

It looks like you took off and flew over the ocean without a full battery. That's already never a good idea to begin with.

It also looks like you were flying almost 800 feet up in the air. The winds at altitude can often be quite stronger than the winds on the ground, and according to the logs your drone was struggling with high winds the entire time. (additionally, the regulations in most countries limit you legally to 400 feet maximum. Something you should always keep in mind because air traffic is often at 500 feet and above, and can be even lower over bodies of water or other sparsely populated places)

You also continued flying at a considerable distance even though your battery was getting quite low. At 3:24, you had a warning that the battery only was enough to return home. However you didn't initiate a return to home for almost 2 minutes after that.

Basically you were flying too high and too far away for the little amount of battery you had. The drone's RTH algorithms aren't aware of wind conditions so they have no way of knowing that the RTH will take even longer than predicted.
OMG. 800 feet low battery ocean = disaster

Do all DJI consumer drones (in various countries around the globe) get delivered with a default 400' ?
This is the case in Australia, you can open that up in settings to ~ 1640' (which is 500m), but 400' (30m) is our legal limit as hobbyist anyway.

Scott, terrible losing your new M2P so soon, a lot of people do.
I hope you get another, and this time read up all around here, and watch a good variety of YouTube videos.
It's a steep learning curve and there are lots of things that can cause loss like this.
The more prepared you are of these things, the less likely they happen to you again.

Do all DJI consumer drones (in various countries around the globe) get delivered with a default 400' ?
This is the case in Australia, you can open that up in settings to ~ 1640' (which is 500m), but 400' (30m) is our legal limit as hobbyist anyway.

Scott, terrible losing your new M2P so soon, a lot of people do.
I hope you get another, and this time read up all around here, and watch a good variety of YouTube videos.
It's a steep learning curve and there are lots of things that can cause loss like this.
The more prepared you are of these things, the less likely they happen to you again.
No doubt your 30m is a typo and you meant 122m.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Please forgive me if I'm wrong but I think I read that he had the drone for only a few days and then battery was charged 28 times - I can just imagine how many flights he got to learn from

Wow, what a sickening feeling to loose you drone, especially w/in a few days of ownership!

Thanks for taking the step to post your experience. As a new M2P owner of 1 week, I’m still reviewing the manual again and beginner drone YouTube videos. Not flown the M2P, only powered it on inside learning all of the controller features.

Your experience has reinforced my intuition to go slow!

Reactions: awsan5
I'm a fairly new flier also. Just crashed my M2P deep in a forest, with very steep slopes. I was able to use the nav system to reach the crash site. My biggest takeaway is to always have a FLIGHT PLAN. Even a land based photographer has a plan for the project. And it's typically advantageous to arrive early to the location, assess light, wind, topography etc. Even more critical for aerials. I got lucky finding my baby, but could just as easily have not. There are so many factors to consider for new pilots. I'm sorry you lost you aircraft, but the lesson may save many of us noobs in future. This is an excellent forum -with some very astute members -thanks!
FYI - The navigation on my smart controller was what guided me to recover my M2P. It pays to learn how this works. If I had understood the system better, I probably would have located the crash site sooner. The app indicated last known location of transmission, the Home location, and the location of the Smart Controller (and me, as I searched) Triangulating the three icons got me to the location. I NEVER would have found the site without the app.

Reactions: awsan5 and Thomas B
Sad about your loss! Just for your information should you get another Drone and I hope you do. The last 50% of you battery depletes faster than the first 50%. You should always keep that in mind when flying long distances from home.

Sad about your loss! Just for your information should you get another Drone and I hope you do. The last 50% of you battery depletes faster than the first 50%. You should always keep that in mind when flying long distances from home.
The estimated time to empty accounts for the discharge curve accurately- the fuel gauging on our current LiPOs is very good.

In the case where you fly out with the wind and attempt your return against it the first 20% might get you a lot further than your last 80%.

Reactions: Citizen Flier
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erroos