DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

flying a drone in Sutton park birmingham

Grazuncle

Reactions
Hi all

I want to try out my new Mini 2 (total newbie BTW) in some safe open space.

Sutton Park (Birmingham) is local to me and despite searching I'm still confused if I can fly it there. Some say you 'have to' be a member of Sutton Park model aircraft club or you are not allowed to fly at all. It seems quite draconian but i want to be sure first.

or any other loacal areas you can recommend please?

If it’s a public park, then you can fly there.

Make sure you are not within/above 50 meteres of people not in your control and don’t fly above 120m, and then nobody can tell you what to do.
No different to flying a kite!

Thanks..

I went up there today (where i remember as a kid models being flown) and saw a council notice right at the area's car park, saying only SPMAC members can fly there. whether this is 'only' in that space I can't tell but i didn't see similar signs at other car parks. I get the impression they are vague for a lot of reasons.. mainly because certain people won't do things responsibly, so to come out and say 'yes please come here we have no restrictions' is self defeating and i can understand that too.

I looked at the SPMAC website today and filled out an online form with my question about flying there and membership costs.. the form didn't send and the other email address on there, came back as unknown!!!

The most of the park is the Regulated Airspace of the Birmingham International Airport if you check on the NATS Drone Assist app. But you can go to the north tip of the park around Bracebridge Pool which isn't park of that airspace. Quite often I saw people flying drones there and I flew mine there once.

Reactions: Grazuncle
Oh I also met a guy of that SPMAC club there and I don't think they welcome the drone hobbyists.

Reactions: Grazuncle
The most of the park is the Regulated Airspace of the Birmingham International Airport if you check on the NATS Drone Assist app. But you can go to the north tip of the park around Bracebridge Pool which isn't park of that airspace. Quite often I saw people flying drones there and I flew mine there once.
Great information??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor