DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying at the border

DRCA

Reactions
Looking to get arial clips of the large flag in Tijuana and traffic crossing the border. Just a few short clips to set the scene early in a short video. If I do this from the parking lot at the last US exit is this legal? I am not interested in crossing over.

just from your description of the area where you would be flying ,i think that you will find it is a flight restricted area ,but could be wrong

Looking to get arial clips of the large flag in Tijuana and traffic crossing the border.
It would appear that you can fly your drone in the vicinity of the Tijuana Border Crossing from the US side and only within US airspace, cross over into Mexico at your own peril…

However, now the question comes up, can you fly a drone into the area of a border crossing?

I checked the DJI Geo-Zone Map and I see nothing at the Tijuana Border crossings that indicate a restricted area (Geo-Fenced) the way the map marks Prisons, Heliports, military sites, etc…

I checked AirMap and again I see no restricted airspace over the border crossing, but there are over 300 restricted areas (hospitals, airports, prisons, heliports, wildlife preserves, etc…) so you have to be careful or get permission.

Now, you have to realize that you may fly into Mexican airspace and they might use a Cruise Missile and shoot you down if you are not a Mexican citizen…

And finally, I am not saying you can, it's all on you to see what's legal and permitted, I'm just saying it appears that you can…

Tread lightly…

Reactions: old man mavic
I wonder, even if there are no apparent restrictions for airspace our friends at dji may have it as a “sensitive” area. Worth going there and doing a quick low level hover to check this out. As a visitor on foot at that crossing many years ago our son got marooned when we visited because he forgot to take a vital piece of official paper with him! All ended well.

B4UFly shows class D on the US side and for a long distance on the Mexico side.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll