DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Expat in Tokyo

I see. =) It's amazing to see a fellow traveller with similar passion and such skills. I sadly had for too long crappy stuff (D3000) and only changed to pro material around 2015, so i'm still experimenting sometimes and as an autodidact isolated here, can only rely on myself and the web to progress. As mentionned, i travelled a lot also, nearly everywhere in Japan and also in a bunch of places abroad (Ontario, Seychelles, Maldives, French Polynesia, Malta, Taiwan, etc). Pity i didn't have the drone back then... Thanks for the email, feel free to ask me for tips or spots to shoot in Japan anytime ! I hope you'll visit Japan again once this darn crisis is over, the country needs tourists again, lol.
I graduated from D300 to D750. You can ick up a new D750 for a good price, or even a used D800.

Thank you for the invitation. But I don't think Japan will be at the top of my list right now. My wife and I are planning a trip in December to the Persian Gulf states (Doha,Qatar, Muscat (OMAN), Abu Dhabi AND DUBAI in UAR. All of these places are now off limits to drones. The fine in Oman for flying a drone is a year in jail and $10,000 USD fine. Getting a permit is impossible. I have been trying since January. The area is beautiful but mostly huge gorgeous buildings and great places for time lapse. I have not placed a deposit (COVID) and am now seriously doubting if the trip will be done. All of these countries still closed to tourism. I've spent many trips (12) on African Safaris to most countries in Africa. You might have guessed by my website. Rented a 600mm prime Nikkor f/4.0 and Wimberly Gimbal for these shoots.

Next up, in 9 days, I am fearfully flying out to Montana for 5 weeks of cool mountain weather, droning, hiking, fly fishing.

I graduated from D300 to D750. You can ick up a new D750 for a good price, or even a used D800.

Thank you for the invitation. But I don't think Japan will be at the top of my list right now. My wife and I are planning a trip in December to the Persian Gulf states (Doha,Qatar, Muscat (OMAN), Abu Dhabi AND DUBAI in UAR. All of these places are now off limits to drones. The fine in Oman for flying a drone is a year in jail and $10,000 USD fine. Getting a permit is impossible. I have been trying since January. The area is beautiful but mostly huge gorgeous buildings and great places for time lapse. I have not placed a deposit (COVID) and am now seriously doubting if the trip will be done. All of these countries still closed to tourism. I've spent many trips (12) on African Safaris to most countries in Africa. You might have guessed by my website. Rented a 600mm prime Nikkor f/4.0 and Wimberly Gimbal for these shoots.

Next up, in 9 days, I am fearfully flying out to Montana for 5 weeks of cool mountain weather, droning, hiking, fly fishing.

Sounds nice ! (Montana) Hope you'll have a nice time there. =) I'm wondering why you didn't visit/mentionned bahamas or caraibs, you are so near and those are fantastic dreamy scenaries i guess ? For myself, i hope i won't be disappointed in Hokkaido and will be able to get nice footage with the drone from the lavanda fiels and the coast of north Hokkaido with hopefuly one or two bears. I've never been in Africa except Dubai/Abu Dhabi because cnx to my destination, but not much interested tbh, mostly for safety reasons. Iceland, Norway, Ireland and Scotland are on my list for far future, probably Maldives and French Polynesia again too (but no more Bora Bora, it's overrated). We are into islands because we love snorkeling (GoPro).

EDIT : just for the little story, do you know why i specifically chose the D750 ? i mean, except its fantastic quality and features, i loved the moveable screen for liveview, because in Japan, there is always so much crowd that at some point u always need to take shots by holding the camera over your head hehe.

Last edited:
Sounds nice ! (Montana) Hope you'll have a nice time there. =) I'm wondering why you didn't visit/mentionned bahamas or caraibs, you are so near and those are fantastic dreamy scenaries i guess ? For myself, i hope i won't be disappointed in Hokkaido and will be able to get nice footage with the drone from the lavanda fiels and the coast of north Hokkaido with hopefuly one or two bears. I've never been in Africa except Dubai/Abu Dhabi because cnx to my destination, but not much interested tbh, mostly for safety reasons. Iceland, Norway, Ireland and Scotland are on my list for far future, probably Maldives and French Polynesia again too (but no more Bora Bora, it's overrated). We are into islands because we love snorkeling (GoPro).
re: Nearby islands like Bahamas, extremely hot, humid, and boring, and way over priced. Miami has everything they do plus style, elan, excitement, gourmet restaurants, good service, non rude waiters and hotel staff (the islander mentality to Americans). Miami also has a share of these too, to be honest. When my wife and I get a taste for island life, we drive about an hour to the Florida Keys. Great ocean views, great sunsets, great sea food restaurants, close to home, etc. Check out this video.
. That is my wife (small blond) walking, in the first shot.

re: Nearby islands like Bahamas, extremely hot, humid, and boring, and way over priced. Miami has everything they do plus style, elan, excitement, gourmet restaurants, good service, non rude waiters and hotel staff (the islander mentality to Americans). Miami also has a share of these too, to be honest. When my wife and I get a taste for island life, we drive about an hour to the Florida Keys. Great ocean views, great sunsets, great sea food restaurants, close to home, etc. Check out this video.
. That is my wife (small blond) walking, in the first shot.

Ya, i guess many people in Miami do that. =) at least i remember Dexter did it haha (i'm a big fan ^^)
From all islands i visited, i would say Okinawa (especially Zamami) is the best for quietness and relaxing walks, Tahiti for the blue, the sharks and the kindness of the people (natives, not my country mates lol), and Seychelles for the joy of life, the sunsets and the easy way of life from the locals. Special mention for Bali which i forgot and is also a real pearl, with warm hearted people, excellent food and terrific relaxation (massage, atmosphere, architecture, scenary). They also have awesome coffee.

Ya, i guess many people in Miami do that. =) at least i remember Dexter did it haha (i'm a big fan ^^)
From all islands i visited, i would say Okinawa (especially Zamami) is the best for quietness and relaxing walks, Tahiti for the blue, the sharks and the kindness of the people (natives, not my country mates lol), and Seychelles for the joy of life, the sunsets and the easy way of life from the locals. Special mention for Bali which i forgot and is also a real pearl, with warm hearted people, excellent food and terrific relaxation (massage, atmosphere, architecture, scenary). They also have awesome coffee.
I\We have often been tempted to visit Polynesian Islands. Still on the list. We have been to Bali, probably before you were born. In the 1970's....It was still untouched. Saw village ceremonies, tooth filing, ketchak dancing, gamelan orchestras, drove from Denpasar to Gunung Agung, burial processions and cremations. Fabulous cultures. Saw Ubud, brought home mask carvings.

I\We have often been tempted to visit Polynesian Islands. Still on the list. We have been to Bali, probably before you were born. In the 1970's....It was still untouched. Saw village ceremonies, tooth filing, ketchak dancing, gamelan orchestras, drove from Denpasar to Gunung Agung, burial processions and cremations. Fabulous cultures. Saw Ubud, brought home mask carvings.

Very nice ! If you go to FP, i advice Tahiti Iti and Tahiti Nui (main isle, Bounty location) and for sure Moorea which is just 30' flight from it (don't take the ferry). The sandbanks are a real pleasure with a small tour (8 people boat or so, don't take the main companies). You'll touch stingrays (they are like dogs lol, and come very near, very smooth skin), and little sharks swimming all around. As for Bali, you're right. I didn't like Kuta etc at all, fortunately we stayed in Ubud which is for me the heart of the island, in a very nice hotel purely traditional style (wood carving, green, old architectural bungalows). I also saw the Ketchak in Uluwatu i think, and the Barong at Ubud's Palace. We got or names carved in a wood piece with the barong head for free from the hotel manager. ;-) And a pair of sarongs from the guide boss i hired. Really nice people, still in contact with them on FB.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3