DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying for Fun vs. Flying for Money

dfb

Reactions
Just read this article. Below is the opening paragraph.

Drone Regulations: What You Need to Know
By
Jim Fisher PC Magazine
February 13, 2019 4:22PM EST

Before you know exactly what rules apply to your drone, you need to determine how you'll be using it. If you're flying for fun, there are much less strict requirements. But if you plan on making money with your unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), you'll need to pass an FAA test and receive Part 107 certification. Once you're certified you'll be able to use your drone to capture aerial images and video to sell as stock imagery, work on film productions, grab aerial imagery at weddings or for real estate, and the like—pardon the pun, but the sky's the limit.
This is not the first time I've thought about this conundrum. Commercial 107 Pilot or Recreational Pilot.

What possible bearing can being "paid" or "not paid" to fly the same equipment have to do with anything? Safety? These regs are all about safety right?

Manned aircraft certificates are based on varying factors like equipment, training, and passengers. There is money at the higher level certificates. Commercial Pilots are paid. They have better training and experience.

Maybe it's just evolved from RC pilots vs manned pilots, but they are very different. How are sUAV pilots different?

Then there is always the backwards logic like, RP's can fly at night, CP's need permission. What the_?

Well, you can say, "It's changing, just slowly."

What need do I have for logic, I'm just in it for fun. I smell a convergence.

I just fly for fun. Not sure it would be as much fun if I had to deal with the making money part.

Just for the record.... the exchange of money is but ONE reason you must have Part 107.

To make it more accurate... if you fly strictly as a hobbyist (for YOUR own recreation) then you can follow Hobby/Recreational rules. Anything else (except Public Use or Military Use) requires Part 107.

Just read this article. Below is the opening paragraph.

Drone Regulations: What You Need to Know
By
Jim Fisher PC Magazine
February 13, 2019 4:22PM EST

Before you know exactly what rules apply to your drone, you need to determine how you'll be using it. If you're flying for fun, there are much less strict requirements. But if you plan on making money with your unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), you'll need to pass an FAA test and receive Part 107 certification. Once you're certified you'll be able to use your drone to capture aerial images and video to sell as stock imagery, work on film productions, grab aerial imagery at weddings or for real estate, and the like—pardon the pun, but the sky's the limit.
This is not the first time I've thought about this conundrum. Commercial 107 Pilot or Recreational Pilot.

What possible bearing can being "paid" or "not paid" to fly the same equipment have to do with anything? Safety? These regs are all about safety right?

Manned aircraft certificates are based on varying factors like equipment, training, and passengers. There is money at the higher level certificates. Commercial Pilots are paid. They have better training and experience.

Maybe it's just evolved from RC pilots vs manned pilots, but they are very different. How are sUAV pilots different?

Then there is always the backwards logic like, RP's can fly at night, CP's need permission. What the_?

Well, you can say, "It's changing, just slowly."

What need do I have for logic, I'm just in it for fun. I smell a convergence.

The distinction, prior to this year, arose purely because in 2012 Congress prohibited the FAA from regulation of the hobby use of model aircraft. That law has now been repealed, and the FAA is attempting to apply commensurate regulation to hobbyists within the constraints passed by Congress in 2018.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid