DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying fpv- judging distances

Hayabusa

Reactions
with either goggles or screen. Any tips on learning how to judge distances better? I know about the horizon etc... but still real cautious of approaching things. I was filming sonething last week at night about 1/2 mile away. Still had a visual but as l would approach via screen, i would stop as i got too close. Then l would look up to see it ways away from my target.
Is there any tips or just practice till you get use to the cameras distance? Good thing it shows everything a little closer than reality so a safety buffer.
Thanks
Mike

You could practice flying towards a wall that you can see clearly in front of you from a few feet away. Obstacle Avoidance would also help with the bars that are displayed at the top of the screen as you approach an object. Dont try this with tree branches or wires as the obstacle avoidance works best with large solid items.

Just a lot of practice. Stay aware of the references that are on your side and below, they tell you more than what's in front.

Keep in mind obstacle avoidance is usually off at night :) Yes just practice, practice, practice!

Reactions: MadValley
So obstacle avoidance is off or poor at night as well off in sport. I won’t rely on that but nice as a back up.
Practice is in my future.
Mike

I'm still trying to judge distances FPV over trees. It looks like I'm right on them and then I get VLOS on drone only to see that I'm 75 - 100' above them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palaiouras