DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying from a cruise ship

This info concerns me and I'll do more digging into this. My wife and I are taking a Holland America trip to Alaska this summer, the land and sea version. I'm hoping to take a Mavic Pro with me.
Prohibited Items - Holland America

The following list is provided to assist in determining what items are not allowed onboard without a valid, lawful reason. This is not an all-inclusive list, and there may be other items found at the checkpoint that may be dangerous and that should not be allowed onboard.

Without exception, prohibited items will not be allowed or stored onboard the vessel. Guests are wholly responsible for either storing these items ashore or disposing of them prior to embarkation.

Drones also referred to as Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) or Remotely Piloted Aerial Vehicle (RPA), and any other remote controlled aerial devices/toys.

Reactions: EricD
Prohibited Items - Holland America

The following list is provided to assist in determining what items are not allowed onboard without a valid, lawful reason. This is not an all-inclusive list, and there may be other items found at the checkpoint that may be dangerous and that should not be allowed onboard.

Without exception, prohibited items will not be allowed or stored onboard the vessel. Guests are wholly responsible for either storing these items ashore or disposing of them prior to embarkation.

Drones also referred to as Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) or Remotely Piloted Aerial Vehicle (RPA), and any other remote controlled aerial devices/toys.
Thanks for posting. I'll see if I can find an exception to this. I'll make a few phone calls on Monday. I'll report back if I find anything interesting or different.

That ship is one big cloud of electromagnetic interference. If they have the radars on (and they usually have on open sea as well as close to ports), no way you can get back to the ship. It acts as a bubble around the ship that you can't penetrate.

I have posted the link to this video where a guy loses his Phantom 4 due to the cruise ships radar in a similar thread, you can search that thread for more opinions.
Here is the link again:
The thumbnail is the very last image his P4 was transmitting before it sank into the ocean with a low battery after countless attempts to get through the radar bubble.

Note that Ship radar can be either X-band or S-band. X-band radar is between 8.0 to 12.0 GHz. S-band is between 2.0 to 4.0 GHz.

Drones operate either on 2.4 or 5.8 GHz. While it is possible for an S-band radar transmitter to mess with the aircraft, I have seen plenty of videos on YouTube where people fly right by Cruise Ships just fine. There is no "radar bubble".

1 - Ships generally have radar systems that run between 2000 and 6000 watts, Peak Pulse Power. Not continuous, these are pulses. That makes the average power emitted much lower than the Peak Pulse Power.
2 - Radars are directional and the beam is very narrow (sort of like a spotlight). RF levels away from the main beam fall off rapidly. Those levels are thousands of times lower than in the main beam.
3 - Many radars have antennas which are continuously rotating or varying their elevation by a nodding motion, constantly changing the direction of the beam.
4 - Areas where dangerous human exposure may occur are normally inaccessible to unauthorized personnel.

If you stand within about 4 meters of the device that transmits an electromagnetic radiation field or radio frequency (RF) field, this can be dangerous.

If the ship uses S-band radar, yes, it could and probably would affect a drone when it passes in the "beam" (not bubble). It could actually overload and possibly damage the drone's receiver, so that it would no longer be able to communicate with the RC. Depending on the drone model (and whether it was operating on 2.4 or 5.8 GHz) it may be unaffected by the radar.

This was mentioned, but not emphasized. Don't forget that your drone is positioned by GPS. The moment it takes to the air, the GPS will keep to drone stationary relative to the earth. Because the drone is now still but the boat is moving, at that moment, it will appear that the drone is flying away in the opposite direction but with the same velocity as the moving ship. Assuming the ship is moving forward, the drone will "fly" aft, potentially crashing into anything it it's path. It sounds like most cruise lines have the right idea on this by not allowing you to even have it with you on the ship (where it would be against the rules to fly it anyway), then letting you fly it at your own risk at ports. On that note: seen the youtube videos of drones getting stuck in odd places that take hours for their owners to get to (tops of buildings, tops of trees, etc). If that happens while at Port, are you going to leave your drone or miss your boat? Not a deal-breaker, but something to contemplate before you dive in.

really a lot of dudes who know ecaxtly radar idea and propably can see even with bare eyesm how radar wave comes and grabs drone. But there might be UFO-s in the other ways, dont you see it?

No hassle, usually radars are turned off near me that's because I do not notice any problems... and metal object as ship is avoided simply taking off from hand, lift it off the metal deck. Moving ship for landing is nervous action, but can be done if planned well ahead. But as my father said - there are lot of people who know exactly and teach others too, what gonna happen - and later they can explain exactly, why it didnt happen.

It always amazes me how the "experts" pop up to tell someone they are wrong. Sir, you have no idea of my background or experience. I saw no explanation from you of how the video I posted was shot. Care to explain in place of the personal attach?

Here is another example of drone and ship.

Ocusync is nothing more than a brand name for the process used to communicate. Here is an example: Note the frequency used. Same as in my original post. I never said anything about wifi....

141238gc00kdxpxjgt6fpj.png
With the greatest respect to you Sir, the "Experts" (I assume you were referred to me personally) have had over 45 years experience in Electronics & Telecommunications Engineering Industry Offshore, I would say that probably counts me out of the "Novices" field.
I do not claim to know how the video you posted was shot, maybe you should ask the original You Tube poster if they had any problems with the flight.
I was simply pointing out to whether you have had personal experience on the subject of flying from the deck of a cruise ship, and was I no way inferring to your personal abilities.
To answer the reference I made to Wifi, most people would take the natural assumption that 2.4GHz is general accepted as being the "Wifi" frequency in the communications band.
Ocusync was specifically developed by DJI, and is used by their Company as the being one of the best system (most claim) for controlling their range of drones, and uses 3 specific frequency's, 20 MHz, 10MHz & 1.4MHz (used on the Mavic Pro & Phantom 4 + others).
This allows the system to automatically switch between any of those frequency's in flight, seamlessly.
The Ocusync system is also unique in that it allows multiple connections to other devices (extra controllers, googles,etc)
This is something that cannot be achieved with Standard Wifi to my knowledge.

This "Expert" has also carried out extensive Antenna Builds & Controller Modifications to at least 150 drones for people, (and also for my own drones) since their concept and design some years ago.
I hope this clarifies things a little better for our New Member.

I saw from the video the knucklehead was on an MSC cruise ship. I’m surprised no one stopped him before he even took off.

Note that Ship radar can be either X-band or S-band. X-band radar is between 8.0 to 12.0 GHz. S-band is between 2.0 to 4.0 GHz.

Drones operate either on 2.4 or 5.8 GHz. While it is possible for an S-band radar transmitter to mess with the aircraft, I have seen plenty of videos on YouTube where people fly right by Cruise Ships just fine. There is no "radar bubble".

1 - Ships generally have radar systems that run between 2000 and 6000 watts, Peak Pulse Power. Not continuous, these are pulses. That makes the average power emitted much lower than the Peak Pulse Power.
2 - Radars are directional and the beam is very narrow (sort of like a spotlight). RF levels away from the main beam fall off rapidly. Those levels are thousands of times lower than in the main beam.
3 - Many radars have antennas which are continuously rotating or varying their elevation by a nodding motion, constantly changing the direction of the beam.
4 - Areas where dangerous human exposure may occur are normally inaccessible to unauthorized personnel.

If you stand within about 4 meters of the device that transmits an electromagnetic radiation field or radio frequency (RF) field, this can be dangerous.

If the ship uses S-band radar, yes, it could and probably would affect a drone when it passes in the "beam" (not bubble). It could actually overload and possibly damage the drone's receiver, so that it would no longer be able to communicate with the RC. Depending on the drone model (and whether it was operating on 2.4 or 5.8 GHz) it may be unaffected by the radar.

Strong local RF De-sensitises the receiver front end, blocks reception.
This can be true even if the front end is well designed to reject unwanted signals. If the radar did cause this it would have affected the drone from take off I would have thought. Perhaps he could have tried to bring it back just above the water line below the radar so to speak.

With the greatest respect to you Sir, the "Experts" (I assume you were referred to me personally) have had over 45 years experience in Electronics & Telecommunications Engineering Industry Offshore, I would say that probably counts me out of the "Novices" field.
I do not claim to know how the video you posted was shot, maybe you should ask the original You Tube poster if they had any problems with the flight.
I was simply pointing out to whether you have had personal experience on the subject of flying from the deck of a cruise ship, and was I no way inferring to your personal abilities.
To answer the reference I made to Wifi, most people would take the natural assumption that 2.4GHz is general accepted as being the "Wifi" frequency in the communications band.
Ocusync was specifically developed by DJI, and is used by their Company as the being one of the best system (most claim) for controlling their range of drones, and uses 3 specific frequency's, 20 MHz, 10MHz & 1.4MHz (used on the Mavic Pro & Phantom 4 + others).
This allows the system to automatically switch between any of those frequency's in flight, seamlessly.
The Ocusync system is also unique in that it allows multiple connections to other devices (extra controllers, googles,etc)
This is something that cannot be achieved with Standard Wifi to my knowledge.

This "Expert" has also carried out extensive Antenna Builds & Controller Modifications to at least 150 drones for people, (and also for my own drones) since their concept and design some years ago.
I hope this clarifies things a little better for our New Member.
Remember your comment "You are obviously talking about a subject you clearly know nothing about"?
So, in response you post above, am I suppose to be impressed by this?
If what you posted above is true, you should have known what I pointed out in my post, "radar bubble" theory, is flawed. Yet you felt the need to tell me I know nothing? Yeah, right.

Last edited:
It shows what kind of unthinking PPL some FPV owners are to even consider doing such a thing.
The cruise ships have already had lots of problems with, "I'll fly wherever I want to", attitudes and yes they will take you're drone if they see it.

Well looks like my Mavic is staying at home :(

This was the reply I got from P&O :(

“I am afraid that drones (of whatever specification) are prohibited from being brought on board, The safety and security of our ships is paramount and, as such, you are prohibited from carrying certain items onto our vessels. Security screening of you and your baggage will be conducted each time you board the ship and if you are found in possession of any of these items they may be permanently confiscated. This list is not exhaustive and any other items may be refused at the discretion of either the Port or Ship security staff. “

I really think it’s completely out of context with the real “risk” of them letting me carry it onboard, but hey-ho looks like the GoPros and Karma Grip is going to be my only choice for footage on this holiday.

Again though, thanks for making me think about it, without this thread I would have just turned up to board with it!

Well looks like my Mavic is staying at home :(

This was the reply I got from P&O :(

“I am afraid that drones (of whatever specification) are prohibited from being brought on board, The safety and security of our ships is paramount and, as such, you are prohibited from carrying certain items onto our vessels. Security screening of you and your baggage will be conducted each time you board the ship and if you are found in possession of any of these items they may be permanently confiscated. This list is not exhaustive and any other items may be refused at the discretion of either the Port or Ship security staff. “

I really think it’s completely out of context with the real “risk” of them letting me carry it onboard, but hey-ho looks like the GoPros and Karma Grip is going to be my only choice for footage on this holiday.

Again though, thanks for making me think about it, without this thread I would have just turned up to board with it!
Did you try calling and talking with someone? Like you said, the "risk" seems out of line and they should offer some other salution.

Did you try calling and talking with someone? Like you said, the "risk" seems out of line and they should offer some other salution.

Yep. At first the lady I spoke to said it wouldn’t be a problem at all, and couldn’t see any reason why I couldn’t take it. I then asked her to put that in writing at which point she said she had better double check. She then called me back, plus I got an email saying that I couldn’t take it onboard.

When I get back home, I am going to write to them expressing my disappointment and concerns. It’s crazy that their trivial decision means that I can’t no fly my drone, perfectly legitimately in the locations we are visiting.

Reactions: EricD and HiKen51
Yep. At first the lady I spoke to said it wouldn’t be a problem at all, and couldn’t see any reason why I couldn’t take it. I then asked her to put that in writing at which point she said she had better double check. She then called me back, plus I got an email saying that I couldn’t take it onboard.

When I get back home, I am going to write to them expressing my disappointment and concerns. It’s crazy that their trivial decision means that I can’t no fly my drone, perfectly legitimately in the locations we are visiting.

I too was told all these things aswell as received an email saying it was strickly prohibited but i was still allowed to bring it onboard. Just wasnt allowed to keep the drone itself in my room. Had to check it in and out of security when boarding and embarking the ship in ports.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markshsv