DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying from inside the car

The amount of steel around you / strength of Faraday's cage will determine your signal loss. Especially here, the homepoint and a minimum RTH height that's clear of any obstacles is importrant. Check the construction of your car of how much steel is used in windowframes and roof construction (or drive a convertible with the top down), also heat resistant window coating can be made of steel. Take care that you may not see other air traffic or obstacles the drone may fly toward.
Having said this, It is great fun, especially using the tracking mode. My car has a pretty weak roof construction and polyester (plastic) roof. I did not experience any signal loss issues, only the drone (original Mavic Pro) failing to actually follow me.

Hi! Sometime its "impossible" to view the Ipad screen camera view or the map in the bright light outside the car even with a sunshade. Does it "harm" the signal very much if I sit in the car and point the RC direct to the Mini2 thru the windscreen? I never fly more far away than 5-600m.
Can you keep VLOS, plus continue with seek and avoid operations, while inside your vehicle. I have basically tested my visual range on an ongoing weekly mapping jo. I can barely keep my P4P in VLOS being 2200 ft away with an altitude of about 300ft AGL. I pretty much loose it completely at 2400 ft away, but that is the limit of my map, so I can get it back in few with in a few seconds. With a DJI Mavic Mini, with its sleek profile, I would think you'd be hard pressed to keep it in VLOS plus the ability to continue with seek and avoid from within a vehicle.

Yes this is just another pilots opinion, but I have 150 flight hours and over 750 flights, so it is an educated opinion.

Hi! Sometime its "impossible" to view the Ipad screen camera view or the map in the bright light outside the car even with a sunshade. Does it "harm" the signal very much if I sit in the car and point the RC direct to the Mini2 thru the windscreen? I never fly more far away than 5-600m.

I fly from a boat in bright sunlight. I used this and it was great. Hoodman Drone Aviator Hood Kit for 9.7 - 10.5" Tablets
I'm not promoting BH Photo. It is just the first link when I searched "iPad hoodman sunshade".

Well actually mine the other day from inside my car facing out my windshield and I was still aiming it at the drone and I got two and a half miles out of it from the car but I had a line of sight and a signal was going through the windshield I stayed in that One direction it worked perfectly

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I was wondering myself with the same question when flying my DJI AIR 2S IN Active track mode. Could the passenger operate the drone from within the travelling car and does the drone loose the signal from the controller

I was wondering myself with the same question when flying my DJI AIR 2S IN Active track mode.
The steel roof of the car would block signal, but window glass is completely transparent to radio waves (you can use your mobile phone inside a car).
Just make sure that there's no steel between the controller and drone and you can fly easily.
Could the passenger operate the drone from within the travelling car and does the drone loose the signal from the controller

Yes, but you would need to reset the homepoint from time to time to prevent a situation where the drone wants to zoom off to where it was launched when battery gets low.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcremona