DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in a hurricane

Infrastructure damage may limit your ability to check for No Fly restrictions. Power, internet, cell service.

Emergency services may even have compromised communication. It happens.

ES may use the eye for short forays into rescues or damage assessment. There's a process for working directly with them so unless you are directly involved, I'd stand down. They don't need additional distraction.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Very good info!!

You don't happen to fly a good ole trusty Bonanza do ya?

If your serious you going to need some Gear to make the attempt:

Your going to need a Mavic Wet Suit which is going to do a few things for you:

First its going to protect the Drone from the Rain and also the Plugs that fit into the sides of the Drone our going to stop
the wings from folding in with the extreme winds such as 30 to 50 which is pushing the limits some.

If your in the eye of just want to get up in it this is it.
Mavic Wet Suit - Eclipse
Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the extreme weather conditions. ;)

View attachment 81137
I’ve been wondering that even though you guys have a wetsuit on what keeps the water from getting in the motors for the props?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Very good info!!

You don't happen to fly a good ole trusty Bonanza do ya?
I can see why you'd think so. I have flown several Bonanzas both single & multi, but back in the single's V tail days. My g36 handle comes from a shooting sports interest and an aviation career. Cheers

Reactions: BigAl07
I can see why you'd think so. I have flown several Bonanzas both single & multi, but back in the single's V tail days. My g36 handle comes from a shooting sports interest and an aviation career. Cheers
Roger that :)

Reactions: g36pilot
As usual I have another hurricane heading straight for my house, according to the weather center. This year I have a new toy in the form of a M2P. What I was wondering is has anybody flown in the eye of a hurricane. It seems doable because it seems very calm while the eye is over you so I was wondering if anyone had any experience trying it.
Really big risk... for YOU.

If you have to ask....
Sigh.

I didn't have to ask if I didn't want to know but apparently you don't either. I thought maybe someone had tried it and I couldn't think of a better place to find them. But, I guess no one has including me. Seems the eye moved east a little and Dorian sped up so it hit here in the middle of the night and I didn't get a chance to try it. I think it would have made a nice 360 pano and one you don't see very often. So, thanks @BigAl07 for reminding me of the TFRs. I'll probably have to wait until next year, at least, to get another chance but if anybody knows something dangerous about flying in the eye of a hurricane I would appreciate your words of wisdom.

Reactions: BigAl07
I didn't have to ask if I didn't want to know but apparently you don't either. I thought maybe someone had tried it and I couldn't think of a better place to find them. But, I guess no one has including me. Seems the eye moved east a little and Dorian sped up so it hit here in the middle of the night and I didn't get a chance to try it. I think it would have made a nice 360 pano and one you don't see very often. So, thanks @BigAl07 for reminding me of the TFRs. I'll probably have to wait until next year, at least, to get another chance but if anybody knows something dangerous about flying in the eye of a hurricane I would appreciate your words of wisdom.

I'm really into flying mine daily right now, so if I had the chance you're talking about, I might give it a try. I'll agree it's a bad idea if the drone means a lot to you, but it's mostly just a toy to me and I'm willing to take some risks with it (mine was given to me).

If you get to experience the eye of a hurricane, that means you also will have just experienced the full fury of the storm. With all the other things going on, like staying alive and protecting your property, I cannot fathom how you would be able to have the time and concentration to do anything useful with the drone.

There will be plenty of time for "aftermath" video in the days after the storm.

Not really looking for aftermath video. I've seen enough people emptying out all the furniture in the house to the side of the road after a hurricane. It's a sad thing to see. I just wanted to get pics if the eye was coming over me so I could see what it looked like from another perspective. Preparations for a hurricane usually take me about 4 days prior to the storm and during the eye you just have enough time to survey any damage and possibly move anything that has blown into your yard that may break a window or something when the backside comes. Around here you have to have everything protected before mother nature comes calling.

I'm really into flying mine daily right now, so if I had the chance you're talking about, I might give it a try. I'll agree it's a bad idea if the drone means a lot to you, but it's mostly just a toy to me and I'm willing to take some risks with it (mine was given to me).

But so far no one can really say why it is a bad idea. Everything I have seen and have heard about the eye says it could be done just like any other nice, sunny day. I think the only restriction is time as far as I can tell. Last time I was in the eye I had almost an hour of clear skies and no wind. That's why I was wondering if anyone else may know of any other problems.

Last edited:
Infrastructure damage may limit your ability to check for No Fly restrictions. Power, internet, cell service.

Emergency services may even have compromised communication. It happens.

ES may use the eye for short forays into rescues or damage assessment. There's a process for working directly with them so unless you are directly involved, I'd stand down. They don't need additional distraction.

I didn't have anything for a little while but the power, internet services came back on after a couple of days. A lot better than the 13 days last year. Since I didn't get the chance to try it, I don't know but doubt nofly restrictions would have stopped me from going up unless it was updated with a TFR before we lost power/internet. Emergency services don't usually go out until after the storm has dropped below a certain wind speed but I can't remember what that speed is. I would never interfere with ES and in my specific case I don't think they apply at all.

I understand your frustration, and I'm an old fart and lived in Florida for a while and went through several hurricane eyes passing by, but I certainly would not recommend sending a brand new Mavic 2 Pro into the sky for the FIRST time in the eye of a hurricane. It's a very strong category 3 (I've never heard of a category 5 before?) so I would just chill, if you have electricity, relax, stay cool, wait for better conditions to prevail. That's my 50¢ worth... you're gonna love it, but treat it with care and fly responsibly... ✌
Andrew 1992 was a Cat 5. They're thankfully rare but they can happen.....

In a Heartbeat I would fly up in the eye, 4k video rolling.
There would be TONS of time to film, TONS.
I would do it in a heartbeat and try for the middle of the day when the Sun was at it's highest.
Magazine cover stuff, that's what I would have, once in a lifetime incredible video !!!

If the eye was directly over me at night, I wouldn't even bother.

That is if your house withstands the storm & you live to fly into the eye. Been thru about 6 hurricanes & there is nothing more frustrating than hunkering down in a 'safe' room & listening to the horrific sound of 100 mph + winds wrecking parts of your home. I will never ever stay & ride-one-out again. There is nothing you can do but hope you don't die... IMHO!

That is if your house withstands the storm & you live to fly into the eye. Been thru about 6 hurricanes & there is nothing more frustrating than hunkering down in a 'safe' room & listening to the horrific sound of 100 mph + winds wrecking parts of your home. I will never ever stay & ride-one-out again. There is nothing you can do but hope you don't die... IMHO!

I've been through 5 or 6 so I know what you mean. But if I am going to go through one, I kind of prefer to get hit head on. At least the eye gives you a little breather in the middle of the storm. It's kind of like half time of a football game. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_