DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in a hurricane

dwolfe002

Reactions
As usual I have another hurricane heading straight for my house, according to the weather center. This year I have a new toy in the form of a M2P. What I was wondering is has anybody flown in the eye of a hurricane. It seems doable because it seems very calm while the eye is over you so I was wondering if anyone had any experience trying it.

Reactions: Joe Boudreault
You could. You certainly shouldn't for some pretty obvious reasons.

Well, actually I was looking for what those obvious reasons might be. I've only been directly in the eye twice and as I remember it (always questionable) it was quite calm and sunny. The only problem that I'm having with it is timing so far. It may arrive at night.

I understand your frustration, and I'm an old fart and lived in Florida for a while and went through several hurricane eyes passing by, but I certainly would not recommend sending a brand new Mavic 2 Pro into the sky for the FIRST time in the eye of a hurricane. It's a very strong category 3 (I've never heard of a category 5 before?) so I would just chill, if you have electricity, relax, stay cool, wait for better conditions to prevail. That's my 50¢ worth... you're gonna love it, but treat it with care and fly responsibly... ✌

Well, actually I was looking for what those obvious reasons might be. I've only been directly in the eye twice and as I remember it (always questionable) it was quite calm and sunny. The only problem that I'm having with it is timing so far. It may arrive at night.

Yea, timing. You won't know at the time if you're in the middle, or an edge, and probably wouldn't know how long it would last - I wouldn't want to have my drone too far away :)

If you're referring to Dorian, the eyewall is falling apart isn't it? When it went over bahams, it was supertight.

Reactions: Thomas B
As usual I have another hurricane heading straight for my house, according to the weather center. This year I have a new toy in the form of a M2P. What I was wondering is has anybody flown in the eye of a hurricane. It seems doable because it seems very calm while the eye is over you so I was wondering if anyone had any experience trying it.

We have Emergency Services in that area (literally right now) so I wouldn't fly in that area for several days (depending on damage). I wouldn't be surprised to see a genuine TFR go up if it hasn't already.

It would be quite a "fly away" if the winds were to show up quicker than you thought, while you were in flight!.....;)

You should think of your own safety vs trying to get some shots.

I received this notice via email from the FAA earlier this week:

Thanks!

Hurricane Dorian Safety Alert for Drone Pilots!
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is monitoring Hurricane Dorian closely and preparing FAA facilities and equipment along the southeast coast of Florida to withstand potential damage so flights can quickly resume after the storm passes. Restoring air carrier service is critical to support disaster relief efforts.

Drone users should check NOTAMs and TFRs and avoid flying in areas where drones are prohibited.

Drone pilots must comply with FAA rules and should:

1. Avoid flying in the area unless conducting an active disaster response or recovery mission.
  2. Be aware that the FAA might issue a TFR in the affected area. Be sure to check for active TFRs if you plan to fly.
  3. Remember that you cannot fly inside a TFR without FAA approval.
Drone emergency operations and response:

• During a natural disaster, do not fly your drone in or around emergency response efforts, unless you have special authorization to do so. There are low flying aircraft as part of the storm response — mostly in low visibility areas. If you are flying, emergency response operations cannot.
  • You may be able to get expedited approval to operate in the TFR through the FAA’s Special Governmental Interest(SGI) process as outlined in FAA Order JO 7200.23A. Submit an Emergency Operation Request Form with your existing Remote Pilot Certificate or existing Certification of Authorization (COA) — and send to the FAA's System Operations Support Center (SOSC) at [email protected].
Don’t Be That Guy!

Be aware that significant penalties that may exceed $20,000 if drone operators interfere with emergency response operations. Flying a drone without authorization in or near the disaster area may violate federal, state, or local laws and ordinances, even if a TFR is not in place. Allow first responders to save lives and property without interference.

If you are not certified as a remote pilot or do not already hold a COA, you cannot fly.

Follow the FAA on social media for the latest aviation news!

Attachments

• 1567713756834.png
    1567713756834.png
    49.5 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: Gindra and vieque

If your serious you going to need some Gear to make the attempt:

Your going to need a Mavic Wet Suit which is going to do a few things for you:

First its going to protect the Drone from the Rain and also the Plugs that fit into the sides of the Drone our going to stop
the wings from folding in with the extreme winds such as 30 to 50 which is pushing the limits some.

If your in the eye of just want to get up in it this is it.
Mavic Wet Suit - Eclipse
Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the extreme weather conditions. ;)

Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 7.20.47 PM.png

Yea, timing. You won't know at the time if you're in the middle, or an edge, and probably wouldn't know how long it would last - I wouldn't want to have my drone too far away :)

If you're referring to Dorian, the eyewall is falling apart isn't it? When it went over bahams, it was supertight.

Yea, it wouldn't be up very long and probably not more than 200' away but I do not know if there are upper winds inside the eyewall. Right now the eyewall is still looking alright. Not nearly as tight as it was over the Bahamas but still pretty strong. The wind speed has gone down to 105 so that's something. Waiting on the next forecast as we speak to see if it's still heading right for me.

We have Emergency Services in that area (literally right now) so I wouldn't fly in that area for several days (depending on damage). I wouldn't be surprised to see a genuine TFR go up if it hasn't already.

I haven't checked the TFR's yet. I will if I get a chance tonight. Didn't even think of that. Thanks!

Thanks!

Hurricane Dorian Safety Alert for Drone Pilots!
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is monitoring Hurricane Dorian closely and preparing FAA facilities and equipment along the southeast coast of Florida to withstand potential damage so flights can quickly resume after the storm passes. Restoring air carrier service is critical to support disaster relief efforts.

Drone users should check NOTAMs and TFRs and avoid flying in areas where drones are prohibited.

Drone pilots must comply with FAA rules and should:

1. Avoid flying in the area unless conducting an active disaster response or recovery mission.
  2. Be aware that the FAA might issue a TFR in the affected area. Be sure to check for active TFRs if you plan to fly.
  3. Remember that you cannot fly inside a TFR without FAA approval.
Drone emergency operations and response:

• During a natural disaster, do not fly your drone in or around emergency response efforts, unless you have special authorization to do so. There are low flying aircraft as part of the storm response — mostly in low visibility areas. If you are flying, emergency response operations cannot.
  • You may be able to get expedited approval to operate in the TFR through the FAA’s Special Governmental Interest(SGI) process as outlined in FAA Order JO 7200.23A. Submit an Emergency Operation Request Form with your existing Remote Pilot Certificate or existing Certification of Authorization (COA) — and send to the FAA's System Operations Support Center (SOSC) at [email protected].
Don’t Be That Guy!

Be aware that significant penalties that may exceed $20,000 if drone operators interfere with emergency response operations. Flying a drone without authorization in or near the disaster area may violate federal, state, or local laws and ordinances, even if a TFR is not in place. Allow first responders to save lives and property without interference.

If you are not certified as a remote pilot or do not already hold a COA, you cannot fly.

Follow the FAA on social media for the latest aviation news!

Yea, I saw that one too. No plans to bother any emergency response folks. I just wanted to stick it up over the house while the eye was coming over to see what it really looks like. Other than that, its right back down and into the house. We will not see any emergency response until after the storm anyway.
It would be quite a "fly away" if the winds were to show up quicker than you thought, while you were in flight!.....;)

I never thought about that. Do you think DJI would replace it as a fly away?

• Haha
Reactions: Coskier
If your serious you going to need some Gear to make the attempt:

Your going to need a Mavic Wet Suit which is going to do a few things for you:

First its going to protect the Drone from the Rain and also the Plugs that fit into the sides of the Drone our going to stop
the wings from folding in with the extreme winds such as 30 to 50 which is pushing the limits some.

If your in the eye of just want to get up in it this is it.
Mavic Wet Suit - Eclipse
Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the extreme weather conditions. ;)

View attachment 81137

I won't need a rain suit in the eye of the hurricane. It's very sunny and calm there. I might need a boat later though.

I haven't checked the TFR's yet. I will if I get a chance tonight. Didn't even think of that. Thanks!

As of right now they haven't put any up but that could change in a matter of minutes. Keep checking before you fly because if one goes HOT while you're flying (and it's in your database) your aircraft with AutoLand where it is with no way to get around it.

I never thought about that. Do you think DJI would replace it as a fly away?

Poor Judgement on the operator isn't going to fall under Fly Away....

If you get to experience the eye of a hurricane, that means you also will have just experienced the full fury of the storm. With all the other things going on, like staying alive and protecting your property, I cannot fathom how you would be able to have the time and concentration to do anything useful with the drone.

There will be plenty of time for "aftermath" video in the days after the storm.

Infrastructure damage may limit your ability to check for No Fly restrictions. Power, internet, cell service.

Emergency services may even have compromised communication. It happens.

ES may use the eye for short forays into rescues or damage assessment. There's a process for working directly with them so unless you are directly involved, I'd stand down. They don't need additional distraction.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kzenoxx