DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in/around fog?

Okay I did not finish reading the responses but I have long thin so much fog snow and other moisture base environments.
I think most people are way too paranoid about they're drones. I have flown through so much stuff and all of my drones are in perfect condition still.
If you fly an environment thats heavily moisture just bring the Drone home and let it sit in a dry environment.
The reason I know that these drones are designed for this is because I have a drone sat up in a tree for 4 months through rain storms hurricanes winter snow storm and it was perfectly fine why am I got it back.
Do not worry about them being so fragile because they are not.
Two of my drones have been exposed to everything and they are totally flying perfectly today

We have to agree on this assessment however the weak link is the batteries, You have the Power Button on top on the Mavic 2 that our very succeptible to moisture , causing swelling of the battery and or disconnect in flight.

When I first got the Mavic had no intention of making a wet suit for it , however after just 4 minutes of being in the rain I had to land as there was water in the battery compartment
This is what led me to the making the Mavic Wet Suits .

We now have over 50 video recorded flights posted of the Mavic 2 flying in some extreme rain.

Rain , Fog , Snow its added protection.
Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the rain.
Coal

Last edited:
I have been getting good results by spraying “Never Wet” on my Mavic. It is a inert silicon based spray that will make any surface Super Hydrophobic, it’s made by Rustleum and is available in Home Depot
I use it both with my Mavic and when out taking wildlife photos with my DSLM water is simply repelled from any surface including electronics, though I would avoid any lens.
The Mavic lenses are all covered by a removable UV filter. You could easily use the spray on a separate filter reserved just for wetter conditions, without affecting the lens or the original filter, or just get a second UV filter for that purpose.

Here in Europe / Spain, flying with fog is prohibited ... and what some pilots point to about humidity ... totally true ...
In other situations of humidity, snow, etc. you could solve by sealing the battery with liquid latex (it is normally sold as a spray) ... easier to remove than petroleum jelly ... And it would not come off like an adhesive tape, with the problem of to be engaged in a propeller

Fog = moisture (the #1 enemy of a drone) and I would never risk it for that reason alone.

Fog = reduced/zero VLOS which means it's illegal to fly in fog in many places anyway, even if you aren't worried about moisture causing it to drop out of the sky.

Fog = moisture (the #1 enemy of a drone) and I would never risk it for that reason alone.

Fog = reduced/zero VLOS which means it's illegal to fly in fog in many places anyway, even if you aren't worried about moisture causing it to drop out of the sky.
Still creates really cool video, even when wisps of fog are blowing up a canyon or over the top of a hill where VLOS isn't as much of an issue when both you and the drone are above the fog!

In addition to what you have already described ... it would also add the entrance of moisture into the cooling nozzles (the cooling engine itself and internal circuits of the Drone), and let's not say in the Gimbal itself, the camera and its engines displacement / movement ... No ... I would not risk it either ...

Still creates really cool video, even when wisps of fog are blowing up a canyon or over the top of a hill where VLOS isn't as much of an issue when both you and the drone are above the fog!

You can definitely get some cool shots - if you're able to take off any fly above it, great. Flying through it though it is another matter and something I wouldn't personally risk.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78